Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Stay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
not exactly sure what you call it...but, the pin reciver mounted in the front door jamb that secures the door stay's on either side tend to wear & oval out.
On my passenger side I need to do something to correct confused24.gif

Any tips or tricks? Weld it up and re drill it? drill it oversize & bush it with ...what?
sad.gif
davesprinkle
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 13 2010, 08:19 PM) *

not exactly sure what you call it...but, the pin reciver mounted in the front door jamb that secures the door stay's on either side tend to wear & oval out.
On my passenger side I need to do something to correct confused24.gif

Any tips or tricks? Weld it up and re drill it? drill it oversize & bush it with ...what?
sad.gif

Rich, I'm pursuing this right now. I'll be drilling out the 6mm hole to 1/4" and running a larger clevis pin. Hope to have the project completed this week. Whether it will be successful or not depends on the amount of wear and how accurately I'll be able to drill the holes. If it works I can post some pics of the process.

-dave
bandjoey
There's a metal and plastic roller. Find a used stay and take the metal roller off. You can use a small file and resize the metal to the plastic size and Wallah. Rebuild yours with two metal rollers. Worked great on mine. U can probably get a used one for a few $'s or look for a real expensive rebuilD kit.

Search the tech articles here or pelican. There's a rebuild post on how to online
bandjoey
O. You're talking about where the stay attaches to the body? I was thinking about the inside of the stay. Well here's a freebe when the roller wallows out.
jk76.914
Mine made a loud rap when the door was opened, as it was approaching full open, because of slack. I investigated oversize pins or bushings, then I discovered that the wear was actually in the aluminum arm that's part of the stay itself. New arm and new pin, and I have a nice tight fit and no rap.
914werke
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Mar 14 2010, 05:04 AM) *

Mine made a loud rap when the door was opened, as it was approaching full open, because of slack. I investigated oversize pins or bushings, then I discovered that the wear was actually in the aluminum arm that's part of the stay itself. New arm and new pin, and I have a nice tight fit and no rap.

Thats what drew me to address this problem, Same symptom, a very audible *clack*
I knew it wasent the alum. stay since I had already rebuilt those with Dave's parts (PLUG!) & had used a new unworn pin. Looking it over it is definitely ovaled.
So Dave if you drill it out for a larger pin youd also have to drill out the alum. stay as well? Its pretty tight for a drill ?
davesprinkle
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 14 2010, 09:41 AM) *

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Mar 14 2010, 05:04 AM) *

Thats what drew me to address this problem, Same symptom, a very audible *clack*
I knew it wasent the alum. stay since I had already rebuilt those with Dave's parts (PLUG!) & had used a new unworn pin. Looking it over it is definitely ovaled.
So Dave if you drill it out for a larger pin youd also have to drill out the alum. stay as well? Its pretty tight for a drill ?

Yes, it will require drilling out the hole in the door stay. That's the easy part. The real challenge will be getting a drill into the doorjamb space to drill out the bracket. I'm going to try one of those hex-drive bits in a flex-cable drill extension. It'll be tricky. I'll let you know how this works out.
davesprinkle
I was prepared to attempt to drill out the bracket holes, and had sourced a flex-cable extension and a hex-drive 1/4" drill bit. It was going to be tricky.

But before I started drilling, I checked my new Mcmaster 1/4" clevis pin in the bracket holes. It was a very tight fit, but it went through with a little effort. So thankfully, no drilling was required on the door jamb bracket.

All I had to do was to drill out the hole in the door stay to fit the new pin. I should say that the new pin was undersized from 1/4" -- 0.244" rather than 0.250". So I used a letter-size drill bit (D) rather than 1/4".

Result? Success! No more CLACK-CLACK. Now just a light muffled tick-tick. Nice.

Obviously, your success with this may vary based on the amount of wear on your bracket.
914werke
Dave what was the Mcmaster part # for that pin? I might try Tacoma Screw.
J P Stein
Tough to see in the pic, but I shitcanned the mechanism & made a strap out of nylon(?) safety webbing....light too. biggrin.gif
davesprinkle
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 15 2010, 09:24 AM) *

Dave what was the Mcmaster part # for that pin? I might try Tacoma Screw.

1/4"x5/8" clevis pin, 18-8 stainless-steel
Here's the McMaster number:
92390A156
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.