Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attention: Rear trunk lid shock owners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Does anyone have a Craig Laughlin's (Camp 914), rear trunk lid shocks installed.

I need a close up of the area of the rear trunk bulkhead that needs to be cut.

I have his instructions, but I can't see the photos.

There IS this shot on his website, but I am looking for something a little closer (or straight on) showing the exact area that needs to be cut.

IPB Image

Thanks
Curvie Roadlover
here
Curvie Roadlover
dheehta
Curvie Roadlover
fyukdrj
Curvie Roadlover
jyds
Curvie Roadlover
jl;./hg
Curvie Roadlover
Hope that helps
Qarl
Dude! smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks!
Curvie Roadlover
Also, I had to cut the bolt on the trunk hinge closest to the rear to keep it from scraping on the chrome shaft of the shock when it closes.
boxstr
Curvie thanks, I guess you beat me to it.
CCLINTHANKSTOCURVIE
Curvie Roadlover
This was my project last weekend. Pretty straight forward. A big improvement over the stock springs, which, by the way, came off alot easier than I expected. I made "the tool" from a closed ended wrench as was discussed in an earlier thread.
boxstr
After Karl emailed me I took a look at the pics in the instructions, he was right, they are like looking at hyrogliphics.
I am printing a new batch of easier to read instructions next week.
CCLINBADPICS
Qarl
Yes... get with the program Mr. Bad Picture Taker...

With the age of laser printers comes first generation clear printouts!!!!!
rhodyguy
give him hell karl. how did you do today craig?

kevin
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 28 2004, 05:57 PM)
After Karl emailed me I took a look at the pics in the instructions, he was right, they are like looking at hyrogliphics.
I am printing a new batch of easier to read instructions next week.
CCLINBADPICS

That's what you get when you get Sir Andy to take the pics for ya. lol2.gif
boxstr
Kevin read "Killer 914 V8" one of our's.
CCLINKILLERV8914
neo914-6
Why mount these so low as to cut the sheet metal? I purchased Ken Shippers (eBay) which mount higher up the opened lid. I suppose Craigs design allows you more clear area to insert the top...
boxstr
I have the same mounts that allow you to mount the shox at a different location, but most of the people that I sent them to didn't want to use them, so I stopped offering them. CCLINCOSTEFFECTIVE
Rusty
Can I see a picture of the alternative mounting method?

(Too late for me, I've already cut my car for shocks.)

-Rusty smoke.gif
maf914
Does much dust and dirt from the engine compartment sneak through these strut openings? Will the trunk contents get fumigated with oil and gas vapor?

Just wondering. rolleyes.gif

Mike
seanery
I don't see any dirt or debris in mine, and I had a very oily engine mess from SF- Indy last fall.
SpecialK
FYI: Guden has some excellent info about gas struts, and the proper mounting configuration (piston should be on the low side). They got all of the formulas and hardware too.

http://www.guden.com/

Go to the "Gas Spring Technical Guide" from their home page.

They even sell stainless steel gas struts, and they're relatively cheap!
SpecialK
Damn!! headbang.gif

Correction on the last post, go to the "Information Center" tab, then the Gas Spring Technical Guide.
jridder
I got mine mounted today. I didn't cut out the metal, just persuaded it with a ball peen hammer.

Also, what's the deal with the o-rings? The instructions read that you are supposed to put them under the screw head. When I tightened the first screw, the o-ring just squeezed out around most of the screw. I just took them off.

Jonathan
neo914-6
Here is how these struts are mounted (no cutting required) on my car...

Ad and pics:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...bayphotohosting
415PB
Being on a budget, the 65.00 plus shipping is a little steep. I went with Craig's (40 bucks delivered) and they work great.
SpecialK
What's the # rating on the struts?
415PB
QUOTE(Special_K @ Apr 3 2004, 06:49 AM)
What's the # rating on the struts?

I see a #16 on one end and a #13 on the other. Is this what you are referring to?
boxstr
Rod I think he might mean the pounds rating?? Not sure but if that is correct then they are 60lbs. I am sending Andy a 90lb set for his spoilered rear lid and 20 lbs to Karl for his light weight fiberglass lid.
Not every application is the same and as a vender I feel you have to be able to work with the consumer and be able to satisfy there needs.
CCLINCAMP914CUSTOMERRELATIONS
SpecialK
Yep boxstr, pound (#) rating. And thank you very much!
neo914-6
Being on a budget, the 65.00 plus shipping is a little steep. I went with Craig's (40 bucks delivered) and they work great.

Actually when I bought them they were $55 and Ken is local to me.

Prior to the broomstick, I had fabbed my own mounts with Gudens but the shocks eventually leaked and the L bracket mounts loosened. Scott at Renegade has a version with stronger brackets. I've seen another version with short struts inside the engine compartment.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(boxstr @ Apr 3 2004, 07:46 AM)
...Not every application is the same and as a vender I feel you have to be able to work with the consumer and be able to satisfy there needs.
CCLINCAMP914CUSTOMERRELATIONS

Holy Crap...this world needs more vendors like you! It'd be a nicer place to live.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.