Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To flare or not to flare
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Socalandy
If you had a set of factory GT flares and a real 914-6 car would you flare it?? Remember, My -6 car has no fenders at all right now and the Orig. engine case is not with the car.
smg914
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 16 2010, 12:33 PM) *

If you had a set of factory GT flares and a real 914-6 car would you flare it??

"No, I wouldn't"
tod914
Why cut up an original 6? Will be worth more if left alone down the road.
JmuRiz
Is the motor stock/numbers matching? If it's a modded car that will influence my vote.
tat2dphreak
car has no fenders at all right now

yes, and this is why... since you have to work on the fenders anyway... IF you like the flares, do it.... I'm not as big on the GT flares as I am custom "smooth" flares... but if you like them, then there's nothing wrong with doing them in this case...

if you had pristine, original flares... I might feel differently...
mepstein
It's your car, your money, your choice.
jhadler
I say go for it. It's not a matching numbers car to begin with, and obviously the body of the car needs a lot of help.

Make it how you want it.

-Josh2
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 16 2010, 01:33 PM) *

If you had a set of factory GT flares and a real 914-6 car would you flare it?? Remember, My -6 car has no fenders at all right now and the Orig. engine case is not with the car.

Maybe one this far gone, but never a nice car.
drgchapman
I did.

Click to view attachment
Zundfolge
Since its not going to have the original engine ... and you have to basically rebuild the entire car around the VIN plate, I say go for it.

But if it was a clean, daily driver condition 6 I'd say no.
bandjoey
yes. If you're going to spend so much getting this body back on the road, move ahead with the GT clone. How can it still be an original 6 after replacing almost everything on the car including 1/3 of the body?
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Mar 16 2010, 04:16 PM) *

Since its not going to have the original engine ... and you have to basically rebuild the entire car around the VIN plate, I say go for it.

agree.gif

-- Rob
Frost
I would say yes too.
pete-stevers
my thoughts being what they are worth...
if it was a mint matching num six...no
but non matching, needing lots of body work, yes
kconway
You haven't got any stock fenders anyway, anything you do won't be original to the car. I say do it if you like the look.
MikeSpraggi
For the car in the photo, yes. You need to do a lot to the car to begin with. With non-matching numbers I don't see it as a loss to the small number of all matching 914s left. After all, the factory added flares to 914/6's didn't they?
badm
You know you want to!!!!!! welder.gif
SirAndy
Flare it! aktion035.gif
bembry
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 16 2010, 01:59 PM) *

Maybe one this far gone, but never a nice car.

+1
rfuerst911sc
I say go ahead and install the flares.
URY914
Flare it.
viaverde
I say do it the way you envision it....if you are considering it, you probably want to do it that way.
Flare it.
ViaVerde
Cairo94507
I say flare it given that you have to do fenders anyway. I love the M471 look; it adds some real nice curves and shadows.
messix
the real question should be "should i waste a perfectly good set of steele flares on the this pile?". that pile is lucky it's a orig. six, if it were a 4 out here it'd be cut up allready.
Socalandy
Thanks for the other 22 possitive responses. mad.gif I've seen far worse cars brought back from the scrap heap. Other than the rear fenders being removed its a very solid car.
Sleepin
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 16 2010, 07:17 PM) *

the real question should be "should i waste a perfectly good set of steele flares on the this pile?". that pile is lucky it's a orig. six, if it were a 4 out here it'd be cut up allready.

Wow. Did the piss in your Wheaties taste that bad? huh.gif lol-2.gif
charliew
That car really looks like there is lots more problems waiting till you get the fenders on to show up. Thats not my idea of a starter car for flares but go ahead and try to save it if you can. Judging from the completely gone rear trunk floor it would not supprise me if there is serious rust in the front trunk channels under the rubber and inbetween the fender and cowl and in the headlight well area. I will also bet it's rusted from water leaking in the rear window. The original 6 kinda gives it a little something. I hope you aren't paying someone to do the work. I would have never expected a ca. car to be that rusted out.
Socalandy
I'm doing the bulk of the work and all the areas you spoke of are in good shape. why it was cut up and left this way will never be known but it has good bones
Tom_T

Geez Louise Andy - now I see why you said it would take you several years to do it!!
... talk about resurrecting from the dead & I thought mine needed a lot of work! blink.gif

With that much mod to repair the rust damage, I'd say gor for the YELLOW GT or M471 clone you really want anyway! biggrin.gif

My personal preference is a stock 6 with perfect Mahle Gas burners & period Michelin XZX 185/70VR's!! ... & that would be in one of the blues! - neither of which are your preferences! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 16 2010, 06:17 PM) *

Aw - you Colo guys are just sawzall-smiley.gif happy!
markb
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Mar 16 2010, 01:16 PM) *

agree.gif
IronHillRestorations
That car definately, but I like widebody 914's
jonferns
I vote for flares, only because its already a mess smile.gif
messix
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 16 2010, 06:38 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Mar 16 2010, 07:17 PM) *

Wow. Did the piss in your Wheaties taste that bad? huh.gif lol-2.gif

i should have added this happy11.gif
messix
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 16 2010, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Mar 16 2010, 06:17 PM) *

Aw - you Colo guys are just sawzall-smiley.gif happy!

hey!..... i'm in soggy washington state ... seattle area. rust happens in seconds up here!
EdwardBlume
"Do it" drooley.gif
Socalandy
but you called my car a pile. I thought this site was for 914 fans, getting help and sharing what were doing with these cars.
messix
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 16 2010, 08:05 PM) *

but you called my car a pile. I thought this site was for 914 fans, getting help and sharing what were doing with these cars.

please don't take offense to my envious comment, i wish i had a pile of a og six!
really it's your car, it's not a good survivor, it's a resurection of a car that would typically be scrapped.
so build it the way you dream it should be!
JRust
I voted yes only because it is not going to be original anyway. If you had the original motor & could go original with it. I would not flare that six but try to bring it back to it's original form. With it not being original & needing to replace the fenders anyway. Screw it piratenanner.gif Got to town! Just make sure you go 3.2 or 3.6 on that bad boy drooley.gif
nsr-jamie
flare for sure and they are factory steel ones too which is even better.
Socalandy
this has been my struggle. If I cant find the needle in the haystack " the orig. engine case" and bring it back to factory original how should I proceed.

I dont think I will go beyond a 3.0 so I can use the webers and keep from cutting up to front of the car for oil coolers. thanks for everyones input. If I had case # 4411 I'd have my answer for sure!!
JRust
Wow Andy! That is a huge project. I love that you want to save the six. I don't know man i think I would change my vote. If you really want to save the six. I would say do it stock. Even if it isn't the original six motor. A period correct out of another would be almost as good. The reason I would stay stock is because it is such a project. That would be the biggest reason to save it. Otherwise you would be better off just doing a six conversion on a better core body. It is going to cost alot to bring that car to life. Not to mention the time it will take to do it. I would totally applaud the effort of doing it. Just for me it would be to much effort unless stock. An original period correct six would be awesome. Unless it was original I just don't see the high point of saving it. I would just get a nice core car to build to suit yourself. You will save money in the long run & I think be comprable in value.

Again it is your car & you should do what suits you. I hate to see a 914 going to the crusher confused24.gif . For me I think that is where it would go. There have been quite a few sixes coming up for sale. Most conversions but some very nice ones. It would be tough to rebuild that six for close to what you would pay to have one you could drive right now unsure.gif . Your current 4 is a beauty biggrin.gif
RON S.

I voted yes,
I bought my 914/6 back in 1998. It looked worse than your car does now. It was truely left for dead, and it even had been converted to A 4CYL.

I figured WTH, as bad as my rust bucket was, build it the way I want to be seen driving it.
12 years, and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$later,
here's what you'd be staring at in your own driveway.

Ron
davidj
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Mar 16 2010, 02:16 PM) *

agree.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 16 2010, 08:00 PM) *

this has been my struggle. If I cant find the needle in the haystack " the orig. engine case" and bring it back to factory original how should I proceed.

I dont think I will go beyond a 3.0 so I can use the webers and keep from cutting up to front of the car for oil coolers. thanks for everyones input. If I had case # 4411 I'd have my answer for sure!!

There you go, close enough answer for me, go for the flares, it needs work, and won't have the numbers-matching engine...why the heck not.
oldschool
QUOTE(viaverde @ Mar 16 2010, 05:58 PM) *

I say do it the way you envision it....if you are considering it, you probably want to do it that way.
Flare it.
ViaVerde

Dude I'm down the street from you...well almost (Pomona)
JRust
QUOTE(RON S. @ Mar 17 2010, 04:11 AM) *

I voted yes,
I bought my 914/6 back in 1998. It looked worse than your car does now. It was truely left for dead, and it even had been converted to A 4CYL.

I figured WTH, as bad as my rust bucket was, build it the way I want to be seen driving it.
12 years, and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$later,
here's what you'd be staring at in your own driveway.

Ron

Talk about screwing a poll! How could anyone see what you did with your car. Then not vote to flare it. Yor car is flat out beautiful Ron drooley.gif
Elliot Cannon
Restore the car the way YOU want it to be. driving.gif Not the way others think it should be.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 17 2010, 06:39 PM) *

Restore the car the way YOU want it to be. driving.gif Not the way others think it should be.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

EdwardBlume
BTW - Ron S. has an awesome car. Look at the rear of that thing... what a great look!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.