Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
My 72 never had the FI pump under the tank. Car is now carbed, and I am thinking of mounting my carter pump up front. Wheres the easiest place to find a keyed positive?

Also, fuel lines are original. With the pump in the engine bay, i figured that there was not much pressure on them, as the pump was operating to suck the fuel up the line. IF i put it up front, then there will be pressure on the supply lines. Am I creating a situation where leaks are more likely?
TheCabinetmaker
Only 75/76 had fuel pump in front. Carbs? No advantage to moving it that I can see. I'd bet there is something a lot more useful you could spend your efforts on.
Joe Owensby
Tha main reason to move the pump to the front is to minimize issues with vapor locking of the pump due to engine heat on hot days. If you move it, I suggest you install a power relay. Supply main power to the relay from the battery feed. Then use switched power from the fuse box to turn the relay on. This keeps the current needed to feed the fuel pump from having to go through the switch. The main thing is to make sure that all lines you install are fused. I ran a new main power wire from the battery, using a fusable link at the battery, into the area under the dash. I then put individual fuses to supply power to the fuel pump, and also to an AC unit that I installed. If you do a search here or on PellicanParts, there are details.
markb
Have you had a problem with vapor lock in the past? If not, I see no reason to relocate it. I have carbs on my current motor, mounted in the stock 72 position, and put an aluminum plate in front of it as a keat shield. Haven't had an issue since I put it in.
jeffdon
QUOTE(markb @ Mar 18 2010, 08:04 PM) *

Have you had a problem with vapor lock in the past? If not, I see no reason to relocate it. I have carbs on my current motor, mounted in the stock 72 position, and put an aluminum plate in front of it as a keat shield. Haven't had an issue since I put it in.

none in the past, was just thinking of cleaning up the motor bay.
914Sixer
Fuel pump should be mounted under the engine shelf from the factory not in the engine compartment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.