Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Price Check: Brazillian Chrome Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
I have a set of 4 made in Brazil chrome wheels with hub caps that have the Porsche metal crest on them.
I was told a while back that if these were in pristine condition they would easily fetch $800+.

However, these are not in pristine condition. They are straight, but have some rust forming in the hard to reach places, and the hub caps are so-so. They look good from 10', and if the hub caps were replaced they'd really look good, but they are by no means in great shape cosmetically.
I plan to sell them locally so I don't have to ship them and I'm looking for help on what a fair price for these are. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Who knows, maybe I'll only be able to give them away. confused24.gif

The only pick I have at the moment of one of them:

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
I've never seen that style before, new "stock" chrome steelies are $50 each or so and hubcaps $30 ea for re-pop porsche nipple caps.
Up here at the swaps it's hard to get $50 for a set of western wheels and the like.
Joe Bob
It depends.....VW or Porsche 914 offset?
DBCooper
I haven't seen that style before either. Unfortunately Brasilian wheels all rust like that, so they'd never be worth $800 a set no matter how pristine. Get after them as soon as possible with chrome cleaner, which will remove everything except the pits and leave a wax protection. Then paint the back sides where you can't reach regularly with the chrome cleaner. As soon as they're good and pretty go find that guy who said they're worth $800+, tell him you're ready to deal and ask him to make you an offer.
rjames
I went back and found the original response when I posted these back in 2007, and was told by Pat Garvey that they would fetch ~ $500 if in perfect condition, not $800. My mistake.
I guess these are triple chromed, although that may not matter so much now since rust has begun to form in spots.

I'll get them cleaned up, post them and see what happens. Really I just want the garage space back!

BTW, the offset I measured to be 4 1/4"

Here's an old photo I found of them on the car before I removed them.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.