Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broke out the powdercoater today..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
Powdercoated an extra side view mirror I had. The color is shadow black. The mirror had a 2" dent running across the backside of it. I used a body hammer and dolly and it came out pretty good.
2-OH!
How did you prepare the surface before coating...Did you strip the chrome finish, rough it up, sand blast...Or did the Powdercoat stick without any help...

2-OH!
Rusty
Damn... that's pretty slick. How did you prep the surface?

That's so much better than some of the painted versions I've seen when people black out the chrome.

-Rusty smoke.gif
415PB
After taking apart the mirror I sanded the backside of it with 400 grit then sanded with 600 grit. I dipped the mirror in thinner for 5 minutes and this cleaned it really well. I then powdercoated and cured the mirror housing.

The arm the mirror attaches too, came out a little to glossy, which tells me that I didn't spend enough time getting the chrome off, but it came out alright. I am going to be doing all the chrome on my teener a Matte black, just waiting for the powder to come in.

Thanks
Rusty
It looks really good.

I've never seen a mirror completely disassembled. How tough was it to R&R the glass?

-Rusty smoke.gif
415PB
Rusty, it was pretty easy. Have to be careful prying out the black seal around the outer edge of the mirror though. I nicked the lower portion of the mirror on mine. After prying the black seal, the mirror comes right out.

Take off the 8mm bolt inside and remove a small spring and washer. This will seperate the housing from the elbow. Now if I could only find a place that sells just the mirror. I will be doing a couple more mirrors over the next few days. I will take pics of the inside of them.
tat2dphreak
415, I just bought 2 replacement mirors, glass only from a guy here in TX, I'll send you his email... $10 each, shipped.

the mirror looks great!! want to do mine? wink.gif
415PB
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 29 2004, 07:48 AM)
415, I just bought 2 replacement mirors, glass only from a guy here in TX, I'll send you his email... $10 each, shipped.

You know, I remember seeing a guy from Texas on ebay offering just the glass. Cool, please send me the info and yep you can send me the mirrors and I will powdercoat them for you.

Rod
736conver
Glass for the mirrors is under $2 at any glass shop. I replaced mine last year. Took the mirror down to local shop and the next day and $3 later I had new mirrors.
415PB
Cool, I will try that also...

Thanks
Rusty
If you get the replacement glass piece before hand, why not just carefully break the mirror to help save wear and tear on that seal.

Is the seal available anywhere?

-Rusty smoke.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(415PB @ Mar 29 2004, 10:00 AM)
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 29 2004, 07:48 AM)

You know, I remember seeing a guy from Texas on ebay offering just the glass. Cool, please send me the info and yep you can send me the mirrors and I will powdercoat them for you.

Rod

that's the guy... they fit perfect... but I have issues with 1 mirror, the plastic backpiece was broke/rotted and won't hold the mirror in place, even with the front piece confused24.gif

I also have to remove my current mirrors since the PO put the in a weird spot(on the windshield frame) stfu.gif I'll have to fill in those holes... I'm pretty pissed about that!
415PB
Rusty, the seal is actually pretty tough and pliable. I haven't heard of any place that offers the seal, I have to ckeck into this.

"I was kidding about the powdercoat"

So was I laugh.gif

As far as the plastic frame behind the mirror, mine was also broken in half. I used foglight seal material behind the mirror and it works just fine. Rusty I will try and locate those black seals and see if they are still available. I'll let you know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.