Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB 2.0 914 Toronto area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Panamericana
Looking to buy a 2.0 914 in Toronto area. Willing to pay CDN$6,000-$9,000, depending on condition. Must have original engine and generally be unmolested. Tasteful and sensible modifications are fine. Rust issues should be minimal or previously resolved. Not looking for a project car!

Thanks.
jerome3.2
Hi I am in Toronto as well. I have been looking in the GTA for a while and I have not come across something really interesting (too pricy or too rusty...)

Looking now torwards the US...
suburban99
Even in BC they are rare. I have not seen one worth $9000 in a while. There was one for sale out here for $13,000 iirc but it was overpriced.

Look South...I bought a Boxster in Washington state last year. Really easy to import. With the CDN dollar rising, good deals will be had...good luck
jerome3.2
QUOTE(suburban99 @ Mar 20 2010, 09:04 AM) *

Even in BC they are rare. I have not seen one worth $9000 in a while. There was one for sale out here for $13,000 iirc but it was overpriced.

Look South...I bought a Boxster in Washington state last year. Really easy to import. With the CDN dollar rising, good deals will be had...good luck

I agree however shipping is a big issue and do not forget the taxes (13%)
Panamericana
QUOTE(jerome3.2 @ Mar 20 2010, 01:45 PM) *

QUOTE(suburban99 @ Mar 20 2010, 09:04 AM) *

I agree however shipping is a big issue and do not forget the taxes (13%)

Jerome 3.2, I have been looking for about a year as well and I am sure that you and I have probably looked at a lot of the same cars, and I agree with your assessment. I am just hoping that something will come out of the woodwork! With the dollar at near parity, it makes a lot of sense to look South. I have looked into it and received some good advice through members on this site, but the thing that becomes an obstacle for me is having to fly down to inspect the car to make sure I am getting what I expect. I scan the classifieds here regularly and I marvel at the California and other Western cars -- man, they have it good out there!

Mark Henry
$6K is not going to get you a nice 914 here, that's a driver bondo bucket or project price. $9K is better but definitely get a PPI. Real nice cars will be over $10K.
If going south of the border factor in the shipping costs, time, travel, taxes (PST and GST), duty, etc....and check out the import rules as I believe they make you leave the car at the border now for 24-48 hours.
Also remember that south of us (ontario) is called the rust belt for a reason. A "southern car" doesn't carry a whole lot of weight with me, I've seen bondoed up rust buckets from the south as well.

If you have a bit more cash Mike Galloway has an creamsicle LE that is restored, painted and ready to be assembled. He has all the OE parts, original # engine and tranny, etc. Most likely he'd get me to do the top end on the engine and inspect or rebuild the tranny. He would build it or sell as a project.
He has several other cars F/S as well or can do a PPI.

If you are new to 914's a couple hundred bucks on a PPI is money very well spent.
Mike is in Colborne Ont
http://www.mikes914s.com/
jerome3.2
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 21 2010, 05:32 AM) *

$6K is not going to get you a nice 914 here, that's a driver bondo bucket or project price. $9K is better but definitely get a PPI. Real nice cars will be over $10K.
If going south of the border factor in the shipping costs, time, travel, taxes (PST and GST), duty, etc....and check out the import rules as I believe they make you leave the car at the border now for 24-48 hours.
Also remember that south of us (ontario) is called the rust belt for a reason. A "southern car" doesn't carry a whole lot of weight with me, I've seen bondoed up rust buckets from the south as well.

If you have a bit more cash Mike Galloway has an creamsicle LE that is restored, painted and ready to be assembled. He has all the OE parts, original # engine and tranny, etc. Most likely he'd get me to do the top end on the engine and inspect or rebuild the tranny. He would build it or sell as a project.
He has several other cars F/S as well or can do a PPI.

If you are new to 914's a couple hundred bucks on a PPI is money very well spent.
Mike is in Colborne Ont
http://www.mikes914s.com/

I have been in touch with Mike with regard to 914's. He seems to be a nice guy and provided me good advice. So far, he only has a 2L which does not seem to be in a great shape even(I am looking for a real rust free car, I do not mind the engine as I intent to upgrade it to a 2056) though the price happens to be interesting (8900$CDN).He has as well a flared 1L8 that could have interested me.
There is another 2L on kijiji with usual rusty areas at 10000!!!
May you expand on the 24-48h requested at the border? Is it new because I have not been aware of it?
Mark Henry
Your looking price wasn't high enough so he never showed you the LE. I believe he was asking for something in the $16K range but I'm not sure. It's an LE so that's not too bad of a deal. It's a low mileage car and the body has been fully stripped and restored.

Here's a pic of an LE but it's not the same one IPB Image

Importing info can be found in this thread: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/canada/2883...nto-canada.html

I think I've seen the one on Kijiji, that guy's on crack.
jerome3.2
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 21 2010, 06:33 AM) *

Your looking price wasn't high enough so he never showed you the LE. I believe he was asking for something in the $16K range but I'm not sure. It's an LE so that's not too bad of a deal. It's a low mileage car and the body has been fully stripped and restored.

Here's a pic of an LE but it's not the same one IPB Image

Importing info can be found in this thread: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/canada/2883...nto-canada.html

I think I've seen the one on Kijiji, that guy's on crack.

Thanks,

I did not know that this project was an LE, that is interesting but uprading her engine to a 2056 or 2270 would waste her value sad.gif
boxstr
I have a nice 74 2.0 Calif. desert 914 at CAMP 914. More information, and pics. at www.camp914.com
Craig at CAMP
suburban99
For you guys that are thinking about importing from the USA, here is a brief description of what I had to do for my Boxster.

-Title for car must be presented 72 hours BEFORE car comes across the border.
Most crossings will accept a FAX copy but need to sight the original and compare to vin before car is exported.

-If car is less than 15 years old it must be RIV'd...google it.

-Importation paperwork is available online...

-Pay GST at the border on purchase price...(in BC the provincial tax is charged when registered in BC)

You do not need a broker the paperwork is very easy and both the US and Canadian guards are helpful...especially if it's a Porsche...after going thru it once I would not buy another sports car in Canada...the selection is 10 times better and the WA, OR, CA cars are just too nice...the high CDN dollar is a bonus.
Mark Henry
Toronto is not BC and your not factoring in what shipping would cost him.
They are out there, you just have to be patient.
Craig's deal would be good deal if you can drive it home. He knows his poop, but you have to beware of long distance deals. Some sellers don't know and there a few that will just waste your time and travel money.

I know one guy who drove 1200 miles to pick up his rust free 914 only to get there and find out it's a total mud bucket.

Engine value is subjective, just build a 2nd engine and store the stock engine.
If you do decide to build a T4 engine I have a 80mm crank, rods and many other engine bits.
Mark Henry
Now if I had $17K to spend this would be the shit.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=104679
MDG
It cost me a total of $1050.00 to bring my '76 six conversion up from the southern States. That includes shipping AND a customs broker. I would never have the time nor inclination to do the border deal myself. For the extra couple of hundred bucks all you have to do is tell them where to drop the car. They email you what you need, you send them the $$$ required at the border and they do the rest. You must have the title with the car or it won't get out of the US.

And I agree with Mark - to get the car you're looking for I'd bring one up from the States. What you'll get up here for you price range will cost you at least double to get to the condition you want.
jerome3.2
QUOTE(MDG @ Mar 21 2010, 10:30 AM) *

It cost me a total of $1050.00 to bring my '76 six conversion up from the southern States. That includes shipping AND a customs broker. I would never have the time nor inclination to do the border deal myself. For the extra couple of hundred bucks all you have to do is tell them where to drop the car. They email you what you need, you send them the $$$ required at the border and they do the rest. You must have the title with the car or it won't get out of the US.

And I agree with Mark - to get the car you're looking for I'd bring one up from the States. What you'll get up here for you price range will cost you at least double to get to the condition you want.

Interesting,
I got several quotes for a car from CAL to Toronto and shipping was up to 2500$; which shipping company did you use?

Thanks
Mark Henry
In Canada I've used Land and Sea but I didn't pay for it, the buyer did.
My buddy got rail to Detroit real cheap one time long ago.

I got a rail quote this year on a /6 engine of $200 from calgary to GTA so I'm sure it can be done cheaper. That's an empty rail car heading back to Oshawa.
Mark Henry
BTW is that quote crossing the border ?
That's why

Ship it to Detroit and pick it up.
MDG
First I should have mentioned mine came up from Georgia - California would be close to double I'd guess.

I used a company called US Canada Auto Transport and the custom broker was someone they worked with near Detroit - can't remember the name. Unless you have someone you use, the transport company will put you in touch with a broker. It's better to have someone used to dealing with automobile import/export. My regular broker I use for work (I own a printing company and ship to the States monthly) would not touch this. That gives you an idea of how much of a hassle it can be if you don't have everything in order when you arrive at the border. It's not getting the car into Canada - it's getting it out of the US. Homeland Security is in charge of the borders these days . . . .

I think the shipping was around $900 and the broker another $200 or so. No duty on cars this old but you have to send the GST to the broker so they can pay to get it into Canada and then you pay the PST when you license. Not sure how it will work with the one tax HST in July
MDG
QUOTE(jerome3.2 @ Mar 21 2010, 02:43 PM) *

Interesting,
I got several quotes for a car from CAL to Toronto and shipping was up to 2500$; which shipping company did you use?

Thanks

Wow, I helped a friend arrange shipping of a car he sold to Europe last year; I think it was $1900 from port of Toronto to Hamburg Germany.
jerome3.2
QUOTE(MDG @ Mar 21 2010, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(jerome3.2 @ Mar 21 2010, 02:43 PM) *

Interesting,

Thanks

Wow, I helped a friend arrange shipping of a car he sold to Europe last year; I think it was $1900 from port of Toronto to Hamburg Germany.

I will end up by exporting it directly to Europe!! biggrin.gif (I am French).
By rail could be a cheaper alternative.
Mark Henry
If your shipping direct then do just that. Ship it direct from the USA to France.
Why pay twice on taxes/duties?
jerome3.2
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 21 2010, 03:09 PM) *

If your shipping direct then do just that. Ship it direct from the USA to France.

Because I would like to enjoy it as long as I am in Canada (2 years) and I will pay neither taxes nor shipping when I am back wink.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 21 2010, 07:09 PM) *

Check duties, taxes etc. from US.

A ton of my American clients print here so I can ship direct to the EU for them - costs far less shipping from Canada than the USA to some countries.
Mark Henry
Gotch ya shades.gif

It's a buyers market, so I'd spend as much as you can and get the best car you can find for the money.
Good luck!
crxnug
If you pickup the car yourself it saves alot of money, uhaul trailer is about $80 a day, i have bought and brought back a alot of cars and a few 914,s, just make sure you have the proper paperwork and fax it to the point of entry 72 hours prior to you arriving, importing a classic car is less of a problem as you dont have to deal with RIV.
*kennyd*914
Good morning Panamerica and Jerome:

It seems that I have a 2.0L 1974 in excellent condition in Toronto that I was actually going to part with this spring as I don't have the time to enjoy her any more. I have had her for 5 years and had made sure that she has received only the best. I'm looking for $13K, so I'm not sure if this is too much of a reach.
I'll take some fresh phot's this morning.

I won't say my good bye's to everyone at 914 just yet.....

ken
*kennyd*914
Click to view attachmentHere are some photo's of her this morning.

Ken
*kennyd*914
Click to view attachmentmore images
Panamericana
QUOTE(*kennyd*914 @ Mar 27 2010, 03:21 PM) *

Ken, thanks for posting -- looks like a very nice example. I will give you a call tomorrow.
glenn680
really nice 914 is the price the same or have you come down a little..I am looking for one as well....hard ot find a good one for a good price in toronto ....glenn
MikeM
Guys...they are out there, just keep your eyes open.
Last year I wasn't even looking and I bought a beautiful LE Bumblebee
that was for sale 70 miles from my house.No shipping,duties,taxes..nothing.
I got lucky but you can too...
Mike
*kennyd*914
Hi Glenn:

I had lowered my price to $10,500. Let me know if you are interested in taking a look??

Ken
*kennyd*914
Hello Everyone:

It seems that I'm a bit more motivated on selling my 914, unfortunately. I'm willing to lower my price to $9200.00.
As much as I would like to keep her, I have some other vehicle requirements which need to be addressed quickly.

I will take the necessary additional photo's tonight. As I previously stated, Mike Galloway has done the lions share of the upgrades. She has been a true pleasure to own.

Ken

*kennyd*914
Good afternoon everyone:

And thank you Mrs. K for the Birthday wishes....

I'm officially running out of room in my garage, and my little 914 needs to find a new home. As I have indicated on Mike's 914 site, I have reduced my expectations and I'm willing to let her go for $8,500.00.

Please spread the word to someone who might be interested. It's going to be a great weekend so expect to see lots of photo's posted.

Thanks,

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.