Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Hole in Floor Pan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
Upon scraping the sound proofing off the floor pan, I noticed a small hole (about 1/4") on the passenger side near the front. It is clean and looks to be factory. Is this a drain hole or should some kind of plug go in there? Here is a pic:
Click to view attachment

iamchappy
I may be wrong but i believe those were access holes the factory used so they could use there spot welders.
Eric_Shea
(I think he's talking about the little one in the corner) wink.gif
rick 918-S
First, Chappy, I think your right about the removable plugs in the pan. agree.gif But the 8mm hole is still a mystery. confused24.gif
bigkensteele
Did this car have A/C? Could be for a condensation hose. That would have been done by the dealer, and I would think it would be larger, so I don't know.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 22 2010, 06:12 PM) *

Did this car have A/C? Could be for a condensation hose. That would have been done by the dealer, and I would think it would be larger, so I don't know.

yup that is what it is good observation Ken.
saigon71
I am referring to the small hole at the front of the pan (about 1/4" in diameter).

I don't know if the car was ever equipped with A/C...and I have no plans on installing it, so I guess I will just close it off.

Thanks for the responses - I appreciate the info.

Bob

iamchappy
I didn't even notice that tiny spot that looks like a hole.
1968Cayman
There is supposed to be a rubber plug there; I only know because I wire-wheeled through one of them two days ago that was about 10" to the left of the one you have pictured. The one I destroyed was near the tunnel and only then did I notice the other.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 22 2010, 07:40 PM) *

First, Chappy, I think your right about the removable plugs in the pan. agree.gif But the 8mm hole is still a mystery. confused24.gif

Nope... I know what they were for. Saw it in a video. The same holes appear in the 356 and early 911 chassis. The factory used them to fasten the stamped panels to the alignment jig. The panel was placed over a block on the jig that was turned to lock it in place. Then they were all welded together, and the blocks were turned to release the assembly.

Al Zim has the 356 assembly video in his collection, and they show it clearly. But it is on old 8mm movie film, so no posting it here.
914Sixer
Mine has two factory holes that had rubber plugs. Pictures later.
ME733
....good grief....All you so called 914 experts are wrong...what dummies...the expert porsche engineers make provisions for everything....Here,s what the hole is for...SO YOU can DUMP your DOOBIE before the cops pull you over..... biggrin.gif ...and you thought you knew it all. biggrin.gif .
SirAndy
As far as i know, every 914 had that tiny hole in the floorpan right there.

About the size of a M8 bolt ...
shades.gif Andy
914Sixer
Picture of 72 floor with two factory holes that I removed the rubber plugs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.