Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Tank - pretty nice one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
Some of you may be aware that I have a tank problem - a bad one! My gorgeous original tank (outside) is pretty much shot inside.

So I got another tank. Been in storage for years with preservative (?) in it that kept rusts away. USPS wouldn't let the PO ship it with the preservative in it, as it was considered HAZMAT. So, he flushed it with Simple Green several times before it was deemed acceptable. Now it has a very fine film of iron oxide on the inside. Outside was a pleb attempt at resto, but I can fix that.

So...what should I use on the inside of the tank to remove the minimal oxidation?

And, what should I use to seal it on the inside?

I'd prefer NOT to use POR15.

What did the Factory use?

Need to get going on this - Fritz MUST rise THIS year!
Pat screwy.gif
tod914
Pat either get the kit from Bill Hirsch or use the POR marine clean & metal ready. Another option is muriatic acid followed by metal ready. Just using one of the cleaners will give you the same end result. Flash rust. The metal ready will coat it to keep it from doing so, for a while. You'll want to flush each treatment with cold water. The Hirsch kit will clean the tank and line it with a rubbery style bladder adheared to the tank wall. Will never chip. Had that done to my 75 and was very pleased with the results. I actually have an unused can of it if you need it.
Tom_T
Pat - don't know why George didn't mention it, but IIRC his AA shop will do a resto on tanks for you - & assume they mean inside & out (was in the catalog).

If I were in your shoes - & wallowing in Bluto Bucks! - I'd send the tank you have as a core & get a newly refreshed one back to install right now! biggrin.gif
kconway
I used a kit from a company named KBS Coatings. It came with a cleaner, an acid etch and then a coating for the inside. Worked pretty well.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Gold-Standard-...ns_ep_39-1.html

Kev
Dr Evil
If you decide that you want it sealed, there is a shop in Palmyra that will use an epoxy sealer for $50.
Mr.242
QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 23 2010, 08:14 PM) *

I used a kit from a company named KBS Coatings. It came with a cleaner, an acid etch and then a coating for the inside. Worked pretty well.

Kev

I did this route too. Still not in the car, but looks great inside.
EdwardBlume
How many concours judges stick their fiberoptic cameras inside the gas tank? poke.gif
jd74914
Caswell Plating makes the best gas tank sealer kit I have seen or used (as another reference McMark thinks its the best too). It is an epoxy rather than the tradition paint-like coating, covers really well, and is tough as nails. smile.gif

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Mar 23 2010, 11:11 PM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 23 2010, 08:14 PM) *

Kev

I did this route too. Still not in the car, but looks great inside.

I also used the KBS kit. It worked very well.
Mr.242

A semi-hijack....what sheen should be on the outside when painting the tank?
McMark
agree.gif with Jim D. cool.gif
Frost
That seems like a fairly easy proceedure to do.
tod914
Mr., the VHT low gloss black engine enamel or VHT semi gloss engine enamel work well. The original color is abit more of a grey-black, but either of those two should be fine. I used the low gloss on mine which is slightly more matt than the semi. Put a coat of wax on it and it turned out real nice. I used a hair drier pointing in the fuel hole to heat up the paint to help cure it along with some heat lamps.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 23 2010, 08:35 PM) *

Pat either get the kit from Bill Hirsch or use the POR marine clean & metal ready. Another option is muriatic acid followed by metal ready. Just using one of the cleaners will give you the same end result. Flash rust. The metal ready will coat it to keep it from doing so, for a while. You'll want to flush each treatment with cold water. The Hirsch kit will clean the tank and line it with a rubbery style bladder adheared to the tank wall. Will never chip. Had that done to my 75 and was very pleased with the results. I actually have an unused can of it if you need it.

Tod, tell me more about this process - lots more. Need step-by-step infor, since I'm an "old person", but sounds good. Can PM me, but I think others might benefit from it.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 23 2010, 09:12 PM) *

Pat - don't know why George didn't mention it, but IIRC his AA shop will do a resto on tanks for you - & assume they mean inside & out (was in the catalog).

If I were in your shoes - & wallowing in Bluto Bucks! - I'd send the tank you have as a core & get a newly refreshed one back to install right now! biggrin.gif

Gave some thought to that. The shipping costs alone would be horrendous (to & from) & don't think I'd like George's color choice - shouldn't be black.

No, I'll take care of this here. The Bluto bucks are earmarked by the way.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 23 2010, 10:34 PM) *

If you decide that you want it sealed, there is a shop in Palmyra that will use an epoxy sealer for $50.

Mike,
PM me the name of that shop please.....and thanks! Now, get to the other side of PA!
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 24 2010, 03:46 PM) *

Mr., the VHT low gloss black engine enamel or VHT semi gloss engine enamel work well. The original color is abit more of a grey-black, but either of those two should be fine. I used the low gloss on mine which is slightly more matt than the semi. Put a coat of wax on it and it turned out real nice. I used a hair drier pointing in the fuel hole to heat up the paint to help cure it along with some heat lamps.

Damned good idea about the hair dryer!

At least on a 72, the paint should be (estimated) 50-50 gloss black & gloss gray! Yep it's a glossy finish, and half gray. Can provide pics if necessary. Just don't look inside!
Pat
tod914
Pat I picked up a can of the VW grey black & dove grey from wolfsburg west. The grey black might be what your looking for. I did a test and it's too grey for the engine tin, etc. If you want it, it's yours. I just don't know how well it will hold up to gas. Which stands the reason I'm having my intake runners powder coated dove grey with a flattener so remove the shine. I'll post the results when I get it back.
tod914
Here's the VHT low gloss black if you want to see what it looks like. Blended in real nice with the original paint. The semi gloss also seems to be abit more of a deeper black.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Frost
Man that looks pretty!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.