Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Tray Options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mr.242
So here is my current state of my battery tray. I have removed the motor and I'm cleaning the bay to have it painted; hopefully soon!

Click to view attachment

I have agreed to purchase a battery tray and support, and I see this new install and I wonder what options I have. Here's GA1142's recent post:

Click to view attachment

I was wondering what people have done to mount their tray. I was told of by my body man of the option of using "rivet nuts" so I can unbolt the tray and support to clean up under the tray. Looking for some .02 cents on the topic. It's being done on a real SIX, but not for concours status. For DE, AutoX, and beat my bro!

Thanks.....ping away with ideas.
r_towle
If the lower support is seam welded, and you bolt the top tray to both the inner fender and the lower support, I would certainly do it with the rivnuts.
I weld them in, but next time I get my engine out, I plan on doing the same type of removable install so I can clean that area better.

Rich
sww914
You must be sure that the tray is flat where the battery sits. If the battery is riding on bolt heads they will wear through the bottom of the battery and make an acidic mess.
agentblr
Do the right thing.....mount your battery in the rear trunk. Where they should have put it in the first place!
qa1142
Weld it in right. welder.gif

I drilled holes where each spot weld should have been and filled it with my mig.

With engine out, I had Brad clean up that work and make it look good

Do it right
Eric_Shea
Do the right thing and weld it in where it's suppose to be... it's an original -6. slap.gif
McMark
Weld it where it's supposed to go. They battery trays rusted out because of rain. Is your car going to live out in the rain?

--AND--

Why would anyone sacrifice trunk space, when the battery's got a perfectly good home in the engine bay.

--AND--

I wouldn't trust a riv nut to hold a heavy battery being tossed around under spirited driving. You're just asking for that battery to jump loose and crack into a carb. Yikes!

--AND--

cool.gif
jgara962
I had to have McMark weld a new tray in for me. The old one was held with rivets and failed on the way to the WCR autox a few years ago. What a dissapointment not being able to run because of a poor fix. Welding it in is the only way to go.
jmill
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 24 2010, 09:33 PM) *

I wouldn't trust a riv nut to hold a heavy battery being tossed around under spirited driving. You're just asking for that battery to jump loose and crack into a carb. Yikes!

agree.gif Riv nuts are far from structural. I only use them on access panels or other light weight stuff. In that area I wouldn't be surprised if they spin on you when you try to loosen the bolt. Ever try and drill out a spinning riv nut? BTDT. It blows.
SirAndy
welder.gif

Mr.242
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 24 2010, 08:12 PM) *

Do the right thing and weld it in where it's suppose to be... it's an original -6. slap.gif

What the hell....I got a whack in the back of the head?? bs.gif blink.gif

Even though I live in Seattle, it will not live in the rain.

Thanks for the input. Love the facts that come from other peeps trials and FAILS.

Will weld it in....... welder.gif

Thanks everyone! I will keep you posted.....
Eric_Shea
It was a love tap. biggrin.gif

Now... alfred.gif
jonferns
agree.gif

Weld it in, its permanent and you won't have worry about it falling off.

Here's mine, just painted the engine bay recently.
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Mar 24 2010, 06:54 PM) *

Weld it in right. welder.gif

I drilled holes where each spot weld should have been and filled it with my mig.

With engine out, I had Brad clean up that work and make it look good

Do it right

agree.gif

It doesn't take much to hold the two pieces in place very strongly. Drill a couple of holes in the two pieces, then 'tac' or fill the holes when you weld them to the car.

Even 'tac' the tray to the support. The factory never bolted the two together. You have a six, keep it as original as possible.

The cleaning and prep will take the longest. The 'tac' welding will take minutes.

welder.gif
jt914-6
On your original six, keep it in the stock location and use an Optima or other totally sealed battery. No acid to spill or rain spreading acid.... welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.