Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Relocation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
microsa
When the battery is moved to the front trunk, what is the preferred route to run the cables?
Thanks
Mike Allen
San Antonio, TX
URY914
Can I ask why are you moving it to the front trunk?
Is this a street car or race car?

Paul
microsa
Car is being used as primarily an Auto-x car. Trying to get the weight distribution closer to being balanced and clear up some space in the engine compartment.
URY914
Check your rules, you may not be able to move it. You'll be adding some weight in the extra long cable also.
I put mine on the floor on the passenger's side which is about as low as possible. You'll need to put it in a plastic box. This way it is closer to the engine (less cable needed), is low and it offsets the driver's weight a little. In side to side weight balance.

Paul
microsa
Car is already in CS/P and is still street driven some so front trunk is the place. One cable from starter to battery dosen’t weight much and the battery is going to be mounted on the spare tire well floor. Oil cooler w/fan is going where the battery was located.
campbellcj
You could also consider a lightweight battery. I have an Odyssey 680 ready to install; something like 11lb vs 35lb compared to an Optima IIRC, and no rewiring or rules issues...
dinomium
wink.gif If you are going to do it, I would use this next time: http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisp...p?catcode=42001 It cost about 95 bucks plus wiring. The cleanest wiring I have seen is down the longs, follow your oil lines...
I have a box from West Marine that the PO used. It is flimsy plastic that doesnt fit a car battery and the tie downs are poopy!

As for the rules, I now that SCCA and PCA will ding you for moving the battery in the lower two classes.
Good luck and let us know how things go.
Cheers,
kenpolives
This set up works great, you need to put a bar across the front trunk with a flat fray to set/mount the bat. on.
RON S.
My idea follows along the same lines.
Down low,offset from centerline,suits me.
Ron
TimMartin
Here are a few pics of my front-trunk battery relocation.

http://talking-dog.com/914/23.html

I made a bracket, and used the performance products relocation kit (which is completely generic). Since these photos i have tacked down the cable nicely and it looks very professional. I routed the wires down the rockers where the charcoal filter hoses used to go; i pulled one of them out since i don't have 'em hooked up anyway (6 conv with carbs.)

All in all, i wouldn't have bought the relocation kit, since the tray didn't do that much for me. I could have gotten the cable from any good auto parts or electrical supply store, and the hardware to mount it could have all been fabricated and/or from the hardware store.

I mounted it on the passenger side 1) because i don't normally have one, so weight distribution made sense and 2) i wanted to still be able to put the spare and floor in and out.
Mueller
I took a different route.......I removed my original batter tray, rotated the battery 90°, and placed the battery down in the "hell-hole" area up against the firewall. Lower CG, keeps weight on the passanger side and I only had to increase the length of the negative wire a few inches.

If you are worried about weight, there is also aluminum wire as used by welders.........
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 29 2004, 09:14 PM)
You could also consider a lightweight battery. I have an Odyssey 680 ready to install; something like 11lb vs 35lb compared to an Optima IIRC, and no rewiring or rules issues...

like this....
Scott Carlberg
the install kit (at least from S-Car-Go) includes this install box...
URY914
This one is small, light and cheap. Its a lawn mower battery. Cost under $40.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.