Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weight ratio's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Whats the weight ratio for the 914? 49% front 51% rear? Or what?

Andrew
Bleyseng
depends on how much gas. 46/54 is what comes to mind.
URY914
I weighed my car and figured out the ratio back to front but it didn't add up to 100%. sad.gif

Maybe my car is special, w00t.gif

I think 49/51 is right if I remember correctly.

Ask Dave D., he knows all this kinda stuff

Paul
physician
laugh.gif probably that famous unsprung weight rolleyes.gif
SLITS
Depends on how heavy your ass is when you sit in it.

IPB ImageMike Z ain't got nutin on this one!

URY914
We had a girl in HS that had an ass that big and drove a Spitfire. We use to say she didn't get in it, she put it on. laugh.gif
Andyrew
So, weight needs to come off the rear for better balance.. correct?

Andrew
URY914
So, weight needs to come off the rear for better balance.. correct

Do you mean a 914 or the fat ass pictured above?
jridder
>So, weight needs to come off the rear for better balance.. correct?

If by better balance, you mean that you want to be able to stick a pipe under the mid point between the front and rear wheels and have the car balance then yes. If you are referring to having the car handle, brake or accelerate better then no.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 29 2004, 05:42 PM)
So, weight needs to come off the rear for better balance.. correct?

only if you have that rare all-wheel-drive 914...

ask yourself how many races the 917-30 lost with its 33/67 weight distribution...
mskala
My -6 measured almost right at 45/55.

The -4 will be closer to 50/50 but not by all that much.
smg914
Stock '73 2 Liter weight distribution, 46.3% front and 53.7% rear
john rogers
Remember that is static weight. What happens when the car is going 120 or 130 and you have a spoiler on the front pushing down or a wing on the back pushing down or nothing on the back and that vacuum behind the rear window is trying to suck the car upwards??!! Also a factor is what type of driving or racing is it, a tight auto-x course or a long track such as Willow Springs or CA Speedway where you are on the rev limiter by the start-finish line? Finally, most people don't know what the wheelbase of a 914 is and since it is pretty long some weight in the rear is an advantage I would think. Since I made the six conversion, mine seems to actually turn better in sharp corners than before with the four.....and is more stable at full speed at the CA Speedway turns one and two.
Andyrew
Alright guys.. geez, dont bite my head off wink.gif

Im was just wondering if it was better to take weight off the front or the rear.. Ie Fiberglass hoods, bumpers.. stuff like that.

Andrew
Brad Roberts
John nailed it.

Dont think of the car as if it where sitting on the scales all the time and not moving. When you hit the brakes the car can go 60/40 real quick. I personally want a 40/60 car so the car is balanced under braking and not 80/20 or 20/80 under braking. Basically I want a car that feels stable and not all squirrely under braking.

B
Jeroen
So basically what you guys are saying is that you want a 911 biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
(ducking for cover)
Bleyseng
except when you hit the brakes in a turn.....ouch!
KenH
914-4, Roll Bars, Full Gas Tank, 200# Driver

Front = 1040# 44.5%

Rear = 1292# 55.4%

Corner = 50%

Ken
maf914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Mar 29 2004, 06:19 PM)
ask yourself how many races the 917-30 lost with its 33/67 weight distribution...

I saw Mark Donohue in the Sunoco 917/30 lose to George Follmer in the RC Cola 917/10 at Road Atlanta. Of course Donohue had a problem, tire failure I think, while leading, but he did lose. laugh.gif

Mike
maf914
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Mar 30 2004, 05:14 AM)
So basically what you guys are saying is that you want a 911 biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
(ducking for cover)

laugh.gif There is weight distribution and there is moment of inertia, not to be confused. The latter is what gets the tail draggers into trouble.

Mike
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 29 2004, 08:15 PM)
Im was just wondering if it was better to take weight off the front or the rear.. Ie Fiberglass hoods, bumpers.. stuff like that.

Both, of course!! lol3.gif

I know the mags talk about "ideal 50-50 weight distribution", but they're trying to plug products and have nifty-looking prose. I think that the 914 has a pretty good weight distribution for its suspension and such, which is "about" 55% on the rear wheels.

If you're taking weight off, take it wherever you can. Deal with any change in the "balance" of the car by whatever means you need to.

--DD
SLITS
The idea of "50/50" is to put equal weight on all tires for maximum adhesion - which is theory. Acceleration and deacceleration change this, but in a corner,on the edge, it is nice to know the loaded and unloaded sidea are "doing equal work" so to speak. Now in reality............, smoke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 30 2004, 11:21 AM)
Deal with any change in the "balance" of the car by whatever means you need to.

without adding weight of course! wink.gif

make it as light as possible, than balance it using the suspension adjustements to get a corner weight distribution of your liking ...

driving.gif Andy
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 30 2004, 12:42 PM)
The idea of "50/50" is to put equal weight on all tires for maximum adhesion - which is theory. Acceleration and deacceleration change this, but in a corner,on the edge, it is nice to know the loaded and unloaded sidea are "doing equal work" so to speak.

If you are not accelerating or decelerating in a corner, IMHO, you're doing it wrong.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.