Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SF Bay area caravan to WCR, all can join!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mike Bellis
Anyone in the SF Bay interested in a caravan to WCR? Meet up with the Sacramento crowd and haul ass to Tahoe.

Who's in?

Leave Thursday morning 9am from Southland mall, Hayward, CA. Hwy 880 West Winton exit in front of Sears (corner of Southland Dr. & La Playa Dr.) Drive to Antioch for a brief stop at McDonalds (Hwy 160/4 @ Main St.) we will pick some more guys here. We should be in Antioch at 9:40am. Anyone from the valley can meet up with us at Hwy 160/12 intersection near Rio Vista. From there we take the 160 delta Highway to Sacramento. I-5 North to 50 East. We exit at Hazel/Nimbus Rd. North around 11:15am. We will meet up with the Sac crew at Chevron there and re fuel. From there we cut over to Hwy 88 and drive the twisties to Stateline Nevada and our destination.

This link will take you to google maps and the route. Anyone is welcome to join at any part of the route. If you have GMRS walkie talkies bring them. The caravan channel will be 9-14. The times are approximate. This will be a fun drive and not a balls out race to get there first. There are 2-3 small delta towns we have to travel through slowly and a few on Hwy 88. No body wants a ticket, right?

The "official" stopping points are: A, B, F, G. Anyone can jump in at any time during the route.
A= Starting point, Southland Mall, Hayward CA, it front of Sears.
B= Antioch McDonalds, Main St exit from Hwy 160/4.
F= Hazel exit from Hwy 50. Meet at Chevron on the North side.
G= Jackson Hwy 88. Parking lot right side just before our left turn to Tahoe.
Map below has been updated for these stops.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source....180054&z=8
McMark
Sac to Tahoe is only a couple hours, so no reason not to go on a fun drive.
Lennies914
Have yet to drive my car ever, but WCR is the goal. And that is exactly how I'd like to roll piratenanner.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Mar 28 2010, 07:48 PM) *

Have yet to drive my car ever, but WCR is the goal. And that is exactly how I'd like to roll piratenanner.gif

Perhaps a drive up 160, the delta highway.
Lennies914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 28 2010, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Mar 28 2010, 07:48 PM) *

Perhaps a drive up 160, the delta highway.

That would be a very fun run. I'm only a few parts away (and a test drive) from a full commitment!
mikey
Sounds like fun...I'm in. When does this happen???

(Kind of been out of the loop)
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(mikey @ Mar 28 2010, 08:08 PM) *

I'm thinking Thursday morning. Looking on the Map for a cool route.

Here are my thoughts...

Start at Southland Mall, Hayward 8-9am (880 & Winton Av.)
Make out way through Antioch to Hwy 160, ride up the delta
Follow 160 to Sacramento
Meet up with Sac guys
Haul ass to Harvey's

I'm open to better route ideas. This route will take about 4 hours to get there.
biosurfer1
Sounds good to me...I'm planning on not working much so whenever you Bay Area guys get here I'm out...

I think Highway 50 is a nice drive or we can take the long way up 80 then 89 around the lake
Lennies914
There are three, possibly four, that will join in in antioch beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Mar 28 2010, 08:31 PM) *

Sounds good to me...I'm planning on not working much so whenever you Bay Area guys get here I'm out...

I think Highway 50 is a nice drive or we can take the long way up 80 then 89 around the lake

We need to find a convenient place to stop on 50 in Sac. Any ideas?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Mar 28 2010, 08:35 PM) *

There are three, possibly four, that will join in in antioch beerchug.gif

Where is the best place to stop in Antioch?
mikey
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 28 2010, 08:29 PM) *

hissyfit.gif

Drat....I have to work on Thursday. I was hoping it would be on the weekend.
biosurfer1
Mikey...I would post a weekend caravan too. There are other guys who are only coming up for the weekend portion.

MIke- There are several places to stop on 50. My suggestion would be near el dorado hills. there is an off ramp that has a couple places to fill up plus I think Paul might join us there.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Mar 28 2010, 09:03 PM) *

Mikey...I would post a weekend caravan too. There are other guys who are only coming up for the weekend portion.

MIke- There are several places to stop on 50. My suggestion would be near el dorado hills. there is an off ramp that has a couple places to fill up plus I think Paul might join us there.

Cool, check it out and give me an exit to get off on. I'll put together a complete itenerary once we get all the stops figured out.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(mikey @ Mar 28 2010, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 28 2010, 08:29 PM) *

hissyfit.gif

Drat....I have to work on Thursday. I was hoping it would be on the weekend.

Take vacation, I did...
Lennies914
There's a little baseball park right off the freeway above El Dorado Hills in Cameron Park off the cambridge offramp. The parking lot should be empty on a thursday?
mikey
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 28 2010, 09:08 PM) *

Take vacation, I did...

Good idea! Can't hurt to ask. I'll give it a try.
McMark
Mikey, I hope you get the time off, or at least can make it up for some of the event. I still haven't seen your car all together. drooley.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 29 2010, 10:57 AM) *

Mikey, I hope you get the time off, or at least can make it up for some of the event. I still haven't seen your car all together. drooley.gif

agree.gif

I'm in too. driving.gif

Hey McMark, are you going to drive your 914?
poke.gif biggrin.gif Andy
biosurfer1
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 29 2010, 09:57 AM) *

Your's either MARK WTF.gif biggrin.gif
mikey
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 29 2010, 10:57 AM) *

Hey Mark!

It looks like I can't get Thursday or Friday off, but I'm not carrying the office pager over the weekend. So I should be able to shoot up to Tahoe over the weekend.

(We are talking this coming weekend....no? Easter Weekend?)

Mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikey @ Mar 29 2010, 12:59 PM) *

No. We are talking about the weekend below!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=102032

driving.gif Andy
mikey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 29 2010, 01:06 PM) *

QUOTE(mikey @ Mar 29 2010, 12:59 PM) *

No. We are talking about the weekend below!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=102032

driving.gif Andy

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Even Better! I don't have the pager and I have time to ask for a couple of days off!

I think I'm in...

beer.gif Thanks Andy!
McMark
YEEEEEEES! cool.gif
MartyYeoman
I had to laugh when I saw the pole results.

Zero
Zero
100 percent
Zero
Zero

At least we know where we all stand.

Marty
McMark
lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Mar 29 2010, 10:04 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 29 2010, 09:57 AM) *

Your's either MARK WTF.gif biggrin.gif

Easy guys... I have ridden in McMark's car. It has run.

Off Hwy 50 at Hazel Avenue is a place called Nimbus Hatchery. This is where California Fish and Game raises salmon fingerlings. It is right near the Nimbus Dam. Only about 2 blocks off the hwy. at Gold Country Blvd. There is fuel, food, and a large parking lot to assemble in.

Don't count on Paul yet. He is recovering and may only make it up for a day unless he feels much better in the next 45 days.
toon1
my intent is to have the car ready for the WCR

If it is, I'm in
Mike Bellis
icon_bump.gif piratenanner.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif
Lennies914
Hey Mike,
Is the route figured out? This should be a fun run!
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Mar 30 2010, 08:52 PM) *

Hey Mike,
Is the route figured out? This should be a fun run!

Hwy 160 up the delta is a must. aktion035.gif Conedodger has a good suggestion for a meeting place near Sac. I think we should stop at the Hwy 160/Hwy 12 intersetcion to regroup and let anyone from the valley meet up. There is a stop light there with enough sholder to pull off.

So it's either Hwy 24/242 or Vasco Rd. to get to 160. In the morning there is a lot of cops on Vasco. 242 is a reverse commute in the morning so traffic won't be too bad.

We do have to be carful in some of the small towns along the delta. There are a few short 25mph zones. 160 dumps out at Florin Rd on I-5. Hit I-5 to 50 and meet the Sac crew. Then 50 up to Tahoe. driving.gif

There is a toll on 160 in Antioch. bring $4 or a fastrack. I suggest any cash buyers have exact change to speed up the journey.

Right now this trip from the start point in Hayward (Southland mall in front of Sears) is just under 4 hours without stopping.

Any other ideas from the world? confused24.gif

Who posted that they are too scared? headbang.gif
Mike Bellis
icon_bump.gif
Chris Pincetich
Friday caravan?
Sat night only? beerchug.gif
My J-O-B and other commitments mean a late start for me.
GGR AX on Saturday...must decide!
Another Bay Area based route that is fun is up hwy 88, Jackson, Silver Lake, then fast approach to S Lake beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
icon_bump.gif
Lennies914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 7 2010, 08:34 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

My neighbors and I are working every day and night to get our cars ready for the trip. It'll be close but I think at least three of us will join up with you in antioch and make it for the thursday run. piratenanner.gif
jeeperjohn56
Hey Mike, I'm getting close also with the car, I would like to join in, there is a Mcdonals and a Carls Jr at the hwy4 exit just before the toll bridge lots of room to wait for everyone. What is the meeting time in Antioch? John driving.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Apr 7 2010, 10:01 PM) *

Hey Mike, I'm getting close also with the car, I would like to join in, there is a Mcdonals and a Carls Jr at the hwy4 exit just before the toll bridge lots of room to wait for everyone. What is the meeting time in Antioch? John driving.gif

Give me an exit name and direction to turn from the freeway. If we leave from Hayward by 9am, we should be there at 9:40am +/-. We should be at Nimbus by 11:15am.

I am working out the route and will edit and update the first post when it's ready.
I can tell you we wll stop at the Nimbus dam right off Hwy 50 to meet the Sac guys. I hope we can get at least 20, 914's pulling in together to Harvey's in Tahoe.

My wife is requesting a bathroom stop alaong the way. McD's Antioch will work for the start. If there is one at Nimbus, we will be OK.

I hope all can make it on 1 tank of gas too. I think mine will. I guess we can gas up at Nimbus too.
RoadGlue
How about going up 88 instead of boring old 50?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source....977295&z=9
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Apr 8 2010, 01:06 PM) *

I'm not opposed to it. Is there a spot to jump on it near Sacramento? So we can pick up them 14's up there.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 8 2010, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Apr 8 2010, 01:06 PM) *

I'm not opposed to it. Is there a spot to jump on it near Sacramento? So we can pick up them 14's up there.

Click zeeee linky!
Mike Bellis
How about this route?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source....855957&z=8

ConeDodger
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 8 2010, 12:33 PM) *

Mike,
According to those directions, you would be taking the Hazel Avenue exit and turning left the taking the first right. That would put you at the CSUS Aquatic Center. The problem there is that they charge to park. We just want to assemble and leave. So it should be left on Hazel to Gold Country Blvd then left, then take the first right into the Nimbus Hatchery parking lot. Not sure if that appears on your map but we sure don't want to pay to park for 1/2 hour while we all assemble. biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 8 2010, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 8 2010, 12:33 PM) *

Mike,
According to those directions, you would be taking the Hazel Avenue exit and turning left the taking the first right. That would put you at the CSUS Aquatic Center. The problem there is that they charge to park. We just want to assemble and leave. So it should be left on Hazel to Gold Country Blvd then left, then take the first right into the Nimbus Hatchery parking lot. Not sure if that appears on your map but we sure don't want to pay to park for 1/2 hour while we all assemble. biggrin.gif

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source....711914&z=7

Fixed it. So does the route look OK? Might be too many turns? driving.gif Most 14ers like to go straight, right? poke.gif
ConeDodger
Mike, That works on the way into the Hatchery but IIRC you cannot take a left out of Nimbus Road onto Gold Country due to a center divider. Not really a problem since most teeners can U-Turn like an SOB, or we can go up to the next light and turn left and left at the stop sign which brings you back out to Hazel... Don't worry about changing again. We can work that out when we all meet if it is truly the case.
McMark
We can work that out when we all meet

Famous last words.
Porcharu
I was really hoping to go - but taxes killed me so I will be staying home. Would have been a nice birthday weekend for me.
Steve
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 8 2010, 02:28 PM) *

We can work that out when we all meet

Famous last words.

agree.gif
mikey
Any plans for a convoy from the Bay Area on Saturday AM for those of us that can't get off of work earlier in the week?
Lennies914
Do we have an approximate head count for the trip?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 8 2010, 04:14 PM) *

I was really hoping to go - but taxes killed me so I will be staying home. Would have been a nice birthday weekend for me.
Steve

F- the tax man! poke.gif I'm sure McMark will let you sleep on the floor of his room. aktion035.gif Just none of this... sheeplove.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.