Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
rwilner
Hi everyone!

Been lurking here for awhile now and I'm looking to get into a 914 -- my 30th bday present to myself.

My wife's 30th bday present to me was giving me permission!!

I'm in Boston MA. Here's some details about what I'm looking for:
  • Budget: $5k - $7k, would consider a bit more for the RIGHT ONE
  • Looking for a solid driver with solid longs and hell hole -- NOT looking for a rust repair project
  • Would prefer a 2.0L FI side-shift, but others will be considered. (Not looking for a race car, just a weekend cruiser)
  • I change my own oil, spark plugs, trans fluid etc., but have never done much more than that. I'm hoping to get my hands dirty and learn with the teener.
  • Stock is fine, so are tasteful mods. Again, looking for a driver.
  • Willing to take a road trip or ship the right car.

I have cleaned out my garage in preparation for the new arrival. If yours might the right one, PM me and let's chat!!
thx
Rich
driving.gif
Tom_T
welcome.png
.... go ahead & sign up as a member - we'll let ya even before you get the 914 & it's free!! biggrin.gif

Cruise the Classifieds here under "Cars & Rollers" and "Craig's List/eBay Referrals", as there are some on here right now. Up in the SF Bay Area (Oakland Hills) there is a white (L80E "Light Ivory") with Brown interior 73 2.0 might be a real steal at $3500, but as you read my & other posts, it needs a closer check-out PPI by someone near the car - as in all cases, & esp. with a Newbie even locally.

Also get a recco for a reliable 914 mechanic to check out all of the running gear on any candidates for you, with a punch-list & est. of what needs done & cost for same, so you know what is beyond your skill set & tool bin limitations. Same person may be able to check the body issues as well for you. Even the best 914 will have stuff go bad, so plan to be putting money into it beyond basic maintenance, which is the same for any car - let alone a 36-40 year old sports car!

There may be other decent 914s closer to you, but IMHO - usually a nice one even as a driver are going north of your range ($7-12k +/- with no issues, looking good & reliable).

FYI - most desirable & valuable to least for "stock" 914's falls out to the following (except specialty 914's like GT's, 916's, conversions, racers, etc.):

914-6 70-72
914-2.0 73-74
914-2.0 75
914-2.0 76 (75 & 76 more or less the same outside of CA where 75 is still smog exempt)
914-1.7 70-73
914-1.8 74 (about equal to above)
914-1.8 75-76

Note that the 75 & 76 914's have the most reduced HP & Torque due to increased smog controls & resulting added emissions eqpt. & complexity in the engine Bay. the 914-6's & lasy year 76 914-2.0's have the smallest production numbers, so have that cachet, but the later 2.0's still lag the 73-74 2.0's with better performance.

Also, the 73 MY 2.0's only came pretty much loaded as "included options" (in base price) with both the Appearance Group Options (incl: chrome bumpers with fog/driving lights at front [also black rubber bumper gaurds ["tits", bumperettes, etc. at front only if correct OE], black vinyl & chrome trim at rollbar/sails [some with a-pillar on some early 72 production 73 MY's], pile carpet, leather wrapped steering wheel & shifter boot, hinged center cushion & stowage box, & center console with clock, oil temp gauge & voltmeter); and Performance Group Options (incl: F & R [anti-]sway bars, & the then "new" Fuchs forged alloy 4-Lug 4-spoke wheels [windmill pattern, 2 Liter wheels, etc.] - BTW they all had a full set of 5 from factory but many dealers "stole" the spare to resell at 100% profit & put in steel spare).

From 74 MY on (perhaps some late 73 MY's), these all became extra cost options for everything, so the 74-76 2.0's can be a grab bag on what's on the car, as well as what's been added.

Also - do NOT believe the urban myth that CA & other "dry" states have rust free 914s (or any older classic cars), because they can all rust ANYWHERE in the world, & need to be thoroughly checked out regardless! People forget that the early 70's were what we now call El Nino years with huge rainstorms in CA, so many low riding 914's could've been stranded in flooded streets in water over their door thresholds either parked or driven - plus we liked to go skiing in them, be near the beach with salt air & sea breezes, etc., etc. (same for any classic of the day)! ... need I say more!!?? sad.gif

I speak with personal experience having owed mine since 75 & putting it in my SoCal garage essentially rust free in 85 & finding some serious rust rot when I got it out to restore 24 years later last year!! dry.gif

That said - Good Luck & with a well researched/checked & solid 914 under you - you'll LOVE it!! biggrin.gif driving.gif .. & so will she!! driving-girl.gif biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rymann
That car up in Oakland is absoluty beautiful......the price is amazing.......hell of a deal......trying to get my buddy to buy it.....better hurry that car wont be around long......
rwilner

That said - Good Luck & with a well researched/checked & solid 914 under you - you'll LOVE it!! biggrin.gif driving.gif .. & so will she!! driving-girl.gif biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom
Thanks for that kick a$$ overview. I'm willing to wait around for a good deal on the right one -- I just hope to recognize it when it comes along.

Will keep you posted on my search!
bembry
Get the nicest car you can afford. I tried to save a few bucks, and wound up with a car I haven't driven for the last decade. Also, I'd ship from CA if I were you. Shipping isn't as bad ($$$) as most think.
tat2dphreak
Get the nicest car you can afford. I tried to save a few bucks, and wound up with a car I haven't driven for the last decade. Also, I'd ship from CA if I were you. Shipping isn't as bad ($$$) as most think.

agree.gif QFT

over the last 6 years if I added up my car "restoration"... I could have had a nice 6 conversion... pay more now, or you will pay a LOT more later... all the little stuff will add up to a mountain that you could have avoided by spending a little more ahead of time.

oh, and similarly to Benbry, my car was a garage ornament for 6 years before I finally really dumped cash on it to get it on the road... unless you really love doing all the little tedious stuff, and have a ton of cash, buy a nicer car up front
URY914
I have one for sale you may want to look at. Here is a link to my ad....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=103582
tavoman27
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 30 2010, 11:27 AM) *

Hi there... in the 914s books the most expensive are the original 914-6's then come the LE versions which are the Creamsicle (off white with red accents) and the Bumblebee (black with yellow accents) all in original condition or very close to it after that all the resto-mods will come to you in different packages and prices so try to look at many 914s with different things done to them since most are done to owners taste and liking and you will need to question yourself and decide how much is good and how much is too much as far as mods on the car... California and Arizona cars are the most complete and rust free or very minimum, wet states killed 914s so be aware of that. I have a 76 914 that was tastefully modify by the previous owner, my Uncle Bill, and all the work was done at Werks II in Burbank Ca, the car was stored for 12 years at the shop and when I got it on the street I had to add $3000 to correct all the little things that storage does to any car plus purchase price witch was cheap compared to the actual value of the car. Car is now what I call a 914 RS because of the interior upgrades including a roll cage plus all the suspension and engine mods witch is a 2.0 pushed to the max but keeping the original Fuel Injection. My mechanic Is Don Kravig located in Riverside Ca and he is an old time 914 racer and mechanic now turned into a full time restorer of 914. Give him a call and he will answer all your questions and give you pointers about what to look for in a 914 car and if the car is near by he can provably inspected for you and give you an honest opinion before you purchase one. Good luck and welcome to the club!!!
rwilner
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 30 2010, 03:27 PM) *

URY, I love your build thread. I'm going to see if I can find something local but I will keep yours in mind.
thx
Rich
rwilner
icon_bump.gif

Seen a few and still lookin!
nomore9one4
mine will be for sale in a few weeks. 4000 range and in Pittsburgh,Pa. Would take very little to make it daily drivable. PM me if interested. General idea of what it looks like driving.gif Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.