Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Third brake light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Owensby
The photo shows my third brake light. I bought a unit from Sourhtern Rods, I think southernrods.com, for 20 or so dollars. It sticks onto the inside of the rear window with double sticky tape. I loosened the inside cockpit backpad and pulled it out enough to run the wires down behind the backpad. Didn't have to remove the engine compartment latch, as I only needed to access from the side to route the wires. Removing the center console between the seats allows access to the wire bundle, where I spliced into the wire that runs to the brake lights. I also added a ground attachment in this area. Looks pretty good. Does not restrict any rearward vision. I don't have any outside photos of it lit up, but it is very visible. The stuff you see outside the window belongs to my kayak carrier, see another post. Yes, I need to replace the top rollbar pad. I have one on a parts car but I can't get it off. JoeO
Mr.242
You do now! Looks slick too.

Click to view attachment
johannes
The boat is more obvious than the third brake light ...
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Joe: It looks very cool, i have one made from a Corvett 3 ed tail light. I have

39.00 in mine. We need all the extra light in the back ,to keep 18 wheelers and

SUV's off our ass. Of course that Boat helps a lot also. Dave slap.gif
JonH
This is on my to-do list, nice work Joe.

Oh, and I think you meant to say your boat has a 914 carrier!
76-914
We need all the extra light in the back ,to keep 18 wheelers and

SUV's off our ass. Of course that Boat helps a lot also. Dave

I haven't tried this in my teener yet, but.............. I used to keep a can of WD-40 in the front seat of my pickup just for tailgators. At highway speeds, just crack the window and spray away. The famous Texas Lube Job. It's clear so they think it's water and flip on the wipers. The next thing you see is a head pop out the drivers window as they quickly pull over. Oh, be sure to use the red straw that comes with the can.
Cairo94507
I will somehow install a 3rd brake light on my car when it is being restored. I definitely believe they benefit from that addition. Just have to figure out the cleanest way to do it so it looks factory. I have also been thinking about making the lights (tail, brake, turn signals, etc. all LED's for the added brightness while still looking stock.
rebelmdot
I just bought a NOS 1986 Corvette 3rd brake light off ebay. It was 29.95 and that included shipping, I think that the guy had like 3 more of them if anyone is interested.
gopack
If you are modifying the targa bar at all , take a look at my restoration thread for fitment of a Del Sol high mounted brake light integrated into the targa bar. Looks factory!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 1 2010, 08:13 AM) *

I will somehow install a 3rd brake light on my car when it is being restored. I definitely believe they benefit from that addition. Just have to figure out the cleanest way to do it so it looks factory. I have also been thinking about making the lights (tail, brake, turn signals, etc. all LED's for the added brightness while still looking stock.
andys
QUOTE(rebelmdot @ Apr 1 2010, 06:25 AM) *

I just bought a NOS 1986 Corvette 3rd brake light off ebay. It was 29.95 and that included shipping, I think that the guy had like 3 more of them if anyone is interested.

Do you have a link to that Ebay ad? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Andys
computers4kids
QUOTE(andys @ Apr 1 2010, 08:29 AM) *

QUOTE(rebelmdot @ Apr 1 2010, 06:25 AM) *

Do you have a link to that Ebay ad? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Andys

He has been selling them for $24.95 with free shipping...gone-up five bucks.
Link
Click to view attachment
IPB Image
andys
Mark,

Thanks for that link. I just ordered one.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.