Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spare tire size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
I would like to save space in the boot and also a bit of weight on the spare tire.

I have a 5.5 Mahle rim and I wondered what is the smalest tire that could fit on this rim ? I was thinking of a 135/80. idea.gif
I don't care about same size as the other wheels, I would only use it as temporary spare

I could also hunt for a 4.5 steel rim (paint it red) but I don't think I will save weight with this one.

Of course there is the "no spare" option, but I don't like it.
Drums66
....Johannes
I found a space saver spare in 1 of the wrecking yards here in the states
out of a fairly current VW 4lug(rabbit) that worked out great.....less weight and
space. I would suggest 1 o idea.gif f those......just a thought
like you said....don't have to use it often!! bye1.gif
Tom_T
Johannes - the 135/80R15 would have 3 wheels up & 1 down if you ever have to use it, since it's a shorter tire, which IMHO not good on a 34-40 year old car's suspension.

Instead, look for one of the Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone, Kleber, Semperit, etc. new Eco/Energy Saver tires in 165/80R15, because they're making them lighter for less rolling resistance/inertia to get going, in order to improve fuel efficiency - especially on Hybrids.

Right size but supposedly a few pounds/kilos lighter per tire, & would still work as a fill size spare on the car in an emergency.
johannes
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Apr 2 2010, 11:27 AM) *

....Johannes
I found a space saver spare in 1 of the wrecking yards here in the states
out of a fairly current VW 4lug(rabbit) that worked out great.....less weight and
space. I would suggest 1 o idea.gif f those......just a thought
like you said....don't have to use it often!! bye1.gif

I thought Rabbits had 4x100mm pattern ? you speak only from the tire ?
johannes
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 2 2010, 12:11 PM) *

Johannes - the 135/80R15 would have 3 wheels up & 1 down if you ever have to use it, since it's a shorter tire, which IMHO not good on a 34-40 year old car's suspension.

Instead, look for one of the Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone, Kleber, Semperit, etc. new Eco/Energy Saver tires in 165/80R15, because they're making them lighter for less rolling resistance/inertia to get going, in order to improve fuel efficiency - especially on Hybrids.

Right size but supposedly a few pounds/kilos lighter per tire, & would still work as a fill size spare on the car in an emergency.

Its not for driving long trips. Its a spare "just in case"... In France you are never more than 20 miles away from a garage.
URY914
I have a 135mm that I bought at a VW store 20 years ago. Perfect space saver spare.
Elliot Cannon
I use a space saver tire with a five lug wheel adapter. I use a small pony SCUBA bottle with the first stage of a SCUBA regulator for air. The regulator steps the air pressure down to about 120psi. Works great.
johannes
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 2 2010, 03:35 PM) *

I have a 135mm that I bought at a VW store 20 years ago. Perfect space saver spare.
On wich size of rim did you fit it ?
Drums66

The 1 I have is this size(135mm)....on a 15' rim
any VW(space saver) that is comensurate..will work is my point!! idea.gif

flag.gif shades.gif P.S. do you have 5 or 4 lug??
johannes
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Apr 3 2010, 10:18 AM) *

The 1 I have is this size(135mm)....on a 15' rim
any VW(space saver) that is comensurate..will work is my point!! idea.gif

flag.gif shades.gif P.S. do you have 5 or 4 lug??

I have 4 holes in 4x130 pattern... I don't think Golf has 4 x 130
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.