Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accelerator sticking issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JTarver
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, and have recently purchased my first porsche. A 72 914 2.0 fuel injected.

The car has been running great since I bought it a few days ago..and I've put probably 150miles or more on it. Today I was heading out for a drive and the accelerator stopped coming back out all the way..and the engine is revving now every time i start the car again. I'm not a mechanic at all, but am willing to look around and try to stop it until I can get it to the shop.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to stop the revving, so I don't blow the engine up.

Thanks for any info,
Joe
EdwardBlume
Its either the cable, the tube, or the pedal... You can pull the accelerator pedal and see if the cable is free. If not, you have to keep going.... I've blown brake fluid cleaner through the tube to clear it out, others might have a better idea... worst case, your tube is bending and thats a bit more work...
Jeffs9146
First guess Pedal replace or check this piece!

Second guess is the cable!
SirAndy
Check the transmission ground strap ... If it's missing, disconnected or broken, the accel cable is your only effective ground for your engine.

The electric load will melt the sheeting and your cable starts sticking ...
shades.gif Andy
McMark
Read this recent thread.
hot_shoe914
What part ofArkansas are you in?

Shoe
JTarver
Thanks for the help everyone. I checked again, and right below the gas pedal the cable has become disconnected, or broken...but looks like a clean break? I tried to see where the cable goes from the pedal but it's hard to get up under the car, even with it on ramps.
Is this thing a real pain to replace, am I better off taking it to the shop?

Shoe, I'm just outside of Little Rock.

Joe
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(JTarver @ Apr 4 2010, 06:31 PM) *

Thanks for the help everyone. I checked again, and right below the gas pedal the cable has become disconnected, or broken...but looks like a clean break? I tried to see where the cable goes from the pedal but it's hard to get up under the car, even with it on ramps.

Joe

It isn't all that bad to change. It runs down the tunnel and out into the engine bay. You willwant to make sure not to get it on the wrong side of the clutch cable though. You have a couple of members close to you in Bryant and Little Rock. I am over there fairly regularly and one of my cars is being driven by a member in Conway.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 4 2010, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(JTarver @ Apr 4 2010, 06:31 PM) *

Joe

It isn't all that bad to change. It runs down the tunnel and out into the engine bay. You willwant to make sure not to get it on the wrong side of the clutch cable though. You have a couple of members close to you in Bryant and Little Rock. I am over there fairly regularly and one of my cars is being driven by a member in Conway.

Oh yeah.... welcome.png
URY914
You can do it. With our help we'll walk you thru anything.
Dave_Darling
The return spring on the throttle body should close the throttle even if the cable snaps. Check that first.

The throttle pedal pushes on a pushrod that is connected to a bellcrank (which is shown in the picture in Jeff's post). The bellcrank is connected to a piece that the throttle cable is threaded into. The cable goes through a tube in the center tunnel and comes out below the engine bay, then goes to the right side of the engine and up through the engine tin to the throttle valve.

To replace the cable: Disconnect it from both ends (unscrew it from the front piece as well) and pull the cable out under the engine bay. The new one just gets pushed in through the tube. Then double- and triple-check to make sure the new throttle cable is not twisted around the clutch cable, or you'll be re-doing part of this procedure.

--DD
jt914-6
welcome.png
JTarver....no need to take it to a shop.....the shop will come to you....
I have given JTarver my phone numbers....Between Ron (Pcar916) AKA "where's my steering wheel???" and I we'll get the teener back going again. With our combined 45+ years of working on these teeners, we'll have it going in no time... biggrin.gif
mike373
Are you sure you aren't using any Toyota parts on your car? Hehehehe..... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mike
JTarver
QUOTE(mike373 @ Apr 4 2010, 09:48 PM) *

Are you sure you aren't using any Toyota parts on your car? Hehehehe..... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mike

You know Mike, I thought that very same thing when the accelerator stuck. Its funny you mention that. biggrin.gif
jt - thanks for the offer, I will definately take you up on it. I have only had the little monster a week, and was looking for any excuse to drive it again every time I got out of it. Need milk..oh I'll go get it. I should drive to the mailbox and check for that publishers clearinghouse check, etc. etc.

I fell in love with it instantly on the drive home too...even when it wouldnt start back up at the gas station. Had to jump it off, but since then, it's started just fine each time.
I'm gonna go look at the cable setup again, and check the return spring as well.
Thanks again all,
Joe
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 4 2010, 12:34 PM) *

"Only"? You forget about the clutch cable?

The Cap'n
JTarver
Just checked the cable and it's disconnected at the pedal. The pedal isn't moving sideways, and doesn't feel loose at all. Also, the return spring in the back going to the throttle body is operating (I guess) like it should. I revved the car a few times from the engine compartment, and the spring brought the idle right back down to normal each time.
It appears to be the cable. Anyone close that has repair knowledge of this procedure, can help me out, and wants lunch biggrin.gif , let me know. I'm dying to get the car back on the road. Also, any ideas where I can order the cable from, that would have fairly quick shipping for a decent price.

Thanks,
Joe
TheCabinetmaker
Call Rick @ Rennsport Werkstat in Tulsa. He can ship you one today. You should have it tomorrow. 918-663-2906

Btw, its really easy. we can help you with the replacement.
TheCabinetmaker
Oops, I just saw you have a six. Might have a different cable than a four?
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 4 2010, 12:34 PM) *

i need one of these...
jt914-6
I went over to Joe's house tonight and we got his acc. cable replaced. It had broken at the ball/cup joint. He's a happy teener now..... biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Apr 8 2010, 09:59 PM) *

I went over to Joe's house tonight and we got his acc. cable replaced. It had broken at the ball/cup joint. He's a happy teener now..... biggrin.gif

Way to go Jt, knew he could count on you. Did you fill him in on MUSR 11 while you were there? The more themerrier you know.
jt914-6
Shoe.....I told him about the MUSR 11. Maybe we'll see him there..... aktion035.gif
Jeffs9146
"Only"? You forget about the clutch cable?

The Cap'n

Nope! When the cable is wrapped around the clutch cable it increases and decreases the RPM's when the clutch is pressed and released, unless the return spring is broken!

Those were the only two choices aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.