Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledtechguy
So on the way home Friday, I get into town push the clutch in and it feels "different". . . It feels exactly like the cable is fraying and getting progressively looser as the strands break on the short drive home. . .

As I pull into the driveway, nuttin' Well, at least it got me home right. So now I need to get it to my shop to swap cars and get that cable out. So I drive to the shop early to avoid traffic while I clutch-less shift. . . having been through Dr. Evils tranny clinic a mere 7 months ago, I'm thinking OUCH!! I know how expensive that grind is. . . headbang.gif Believe it or not I only had to shift 3 times in 25 miles.

Get it on the lift, pull the pedal assembly (here's my chance to install the bushing kit!!) and pull the cable. . . DOH!! It's in perfect condition. . . confused24.gif

Look at the t/o bearing through the window from underneath and see my t/o bearing moving right through the diaphram springs!! headbang.gif headbang.gif SIGH. . .

So I have nothing better to do than to pull my tranny out and replace the clutch this weekend. . . headbang.gif
tat2dphreak
that sucks, man. good luck :|
Rand
I was thinking it sounded like a clutch tube breaking until you saw the t/o bearing. Doh.
Root_Werks
Well, on the bright side of things you didn't break down in the middle of rush hour traffic.

Tranny pulls on 914's really are not that hard making clutch jobs pretty striaght forward.

Good time to replace the clutch as well as the cable and your pedal bushings you mentioned. You'll be good to go for years and thousands of miles after this!

driving.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Better a clutch than a broken clutch tube!!!!! May want to make sure after you install the clutch that you leave some free play in the cable!

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Apr 5 2010, 09:16 AM) *

So on the way home Friday, I get into town push the clutch in and it feels "different". . . It feels exactly like the cable is fraying and getting progressively looser as the strands break on the short drive home. . .

As I pull into the driveway, nuttin' Well, at least it got me home right. So now I need to get it to my shop to swap cars and get that cable out. So I drive to the shop early to avoid traffic while I clutch-less shift. . . having been through Dr. Evils tranny clinic a mere 7 months ago, I'm thinking OUCH!! I know how expensive that grind is. . . headbang.gif Believe it or not I only had to shift 3 times in 25 miles.

Get it on the lift, pull the pedal assembly (here's my chance to install the bushing kit!!) and pull the cable. . . DOH!! It's in perfect condition. . . confused24.gif

Look at the t/o bearing through the window from underneath and see my t/o bearing moving right through the diaphram springs!! headbang.gif headbang.gif SIGH. . .

So I have nothing better to do than to pull my tranny out and replace the clutch this weekend. . . headbang.gif

messix
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 5 2010, 09:46 AM) *

Well, on the bright side of things you didn't break down in the middle of rush hour traffic.

Tranny pulls on 914's really are not that hard making clutch jobs pretty striaght forward.

Good time to replace the clutch as well as the cable and your pedal bushings you mentioned. You'll be good to go for years and thousands of miles after this!

driving.gif

sure.... and before you know it you'll have a 2.5L six in there and a set of steel flares on and converted to a steel hard top!

blink.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(messix @ Apr 5 2010, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 5 2010, 09:46 AM) *

driving.gif

sure.... and before you know it you'll have a 2.5L six in there and a set of steel flares on and converted to a steel hard top!

blink.gif

And then let you drive it. blink.gif and do the clutch all over again. av-943.gif
messix
lol-2.gif av-943.gif slap.gif
Dave_Darling
I'd rather replace clutches on 5 914s than on 1 911. And on 5 911s than 1 944.... All told, they're relatively easy.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.