Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Okay Racers: tire questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
So here's the thing. I've been running Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs. They're a fast street tire, but I'm getting killed by a couple R-compound guys. Last night I came across a hell of a deal on some V710s; two 205/50/15s, never used: $160! I jumped on it, and I'll grab the other two when the Dunlops wear out.
Here's the question, the 195/55 Dunlops measure in at about 7-1/2" width, and fender clearance is a little close running Rivieras. The 710s, however, measure in at just over 9 inches (not mounted). Has anyone run V710s of that size on a narrow bodied car (rolling fenders is acceptable) with 5.5" rims, or will I HAVE to go to say a 7" rim with a deeper offset? Will mounting the tires change that measurement at all? Experience appreciated. Remember, it's for the good of the 914's track reputation.
My final question: Why is a race slick wider? Why does a 195 street tire measure in at 195mm, and a 205 race slick measure in at about 230mm? I've heard Hoosiers are wide too. Any explanations? Thanks.
Mark D.
sww914
All of the 205/50/15's that I've tried have fit the front of my car. Hoosiers, Kumho 700's, 710's, old Yohohamas back in the day. My fender lips are smashed flat, I hammered them down before I painted it. The rear is flared, no info there to help you.
PeeGreen 914
A lot of 914s run 205s without the need of any modification. Some do require a slight fender roll. I don't know if the 205s will fit on a 5.5" rim as I have only seen them on 7s.
BMXerror
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 7 2010, 06:01 PM) *

A lot of 914s run 205s without the need of any modification. Some do require a slight fender roll. I don't know if the 205s will fit on a 5.5" rim as I have only seen them on 7s.

Yeah, well that's my real question. Kumho says it's okay to run them on a 5.5" rim. It's more a matter whether I can get them under the car on that rim. It's an offset thing. Thanks guys. Keep it coming.
Mark D.
P.S. Jon, do you still run with SCCA at all?
qa1142
I run 205/50 15's on 4 lug oem fuchs and they fit fine

Faulkens (SP)

ottox914
They will be pinched on the 5.5 rims. I ran 710's on factory 5.5 rims, then got some 7" keizer rims, correct offset, and the tires were night and day faster/better on the wider rims. You CAN fit a 7" rim on a stock fendered car, but you need to get the offset just right, and depending on the car, you may or may not need to roll/smash the rear fender lip/return. Fronts should be fine. I used a 5" offset/back space/whatever you want to call it, (5" from the inner mounting surface of the hub to the back of the wheel), and had a local machine shop make spacers of different thicknesses for each corner of the car, so I could rotate tires and fit the rims under the fenders. The tires will fit on the 5.5 rims, they'll just work better on the 7" rims.
Todd Enlund
I can't say how they'll fit under the fenders, but a 5.5" wheel is not going to be optimal for those tires. I'd look for a second set of wheels for the V710s, and keep the Dunlops mounted for the street.
PeeGreen 914
Yup, still running with SCCA and PCA. Even after my car sells I have a few rides available. smile.gif
DanT
ran 205x50 Hankooks on stock 5.5 Fuchs...fit front and rear no problem...
also ran a custom set of 7" steelies with 205x50 710s and they also fit.
I ran these both with 3/4" spacer up front and a 1/2" spacer in the rear...
my fender lips were rolled and the fenders were lightly bumped...
like this

when I finish my '75 I will be running Dunny Direzza Star Specs on stock 4 bolt fuchs...
BMXerror
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 7 2010, 07:47 PM) *

Yup, still running with SCCA and PCA. Even after my car sells I have a few rides available. smile.gif

Okay, thanks guys. I'll have to see what I can do about 7" rims minus the $ for a full 5 lug conversion. This has been a big help.
What class you running in SCCA? Are you reasonably competitive? Are you the only 914 out there? I only ask because I'm the only 914 entry out of usually 200-250 entrants.
Mark D.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Apr 7 2010, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 7 2010, 07:47 PM) *

Okay, thanks guys. I'll have to see what I can do about 7" rims minus the $ for a full 5 lug conversion. This has been a big help.
What class you running in SCCA? Are you reasonably competitive? Are you the only 914 out there? I only ask because I'm the only 914 entry out of usually 200-250 entrants.
Mark D.

I am locally but not nationally. Last year I got 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 3rd at the local events in FP. My car not being close to a real FP car anytime Leads was there or another FP car was there I was off. We have a few 914s that run but SCCA isn't the best place for our cars. There is a class that was opened up to the 914 that I am going to prepare a 914 for once I am out of debt.

I think there are a few classes you could run your car in and do okay but it isn't easy. It is always fun though piratenanner.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 7 2010, 09:40 PM) *

I am locally but not nationally. Last year I got 2nd, 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 3rd at the local events in FP. My car not being close to a real FP car anytime Leads was there or another FP car was there I was off. We have a few 914s that run but SCCA isn't the best place for our cars. There is a class that was opened up to the 914 that I am going to prepare a 914 for once I am out of debt.

I think there are a few classes you could run your car in and do okay but it isn't easy. It is always fun though piratenanner.gif

Yeah. SCCA just isn't easy, period! That's why I'm there; best place to learn. biggrin.gif I'm running in DP (4 banger) with a regional class of all the prepared and modified cars lumped together and indexed due to low participation. My car, like yours, is nowhere close to full DP prep, but I don't doubt that it could be Nationally competitive if fully prepared. Even as she sits now, she surprises some people! driving.gif bootyshake.gif biggrin.gif
Keep it up, Jon. Keep representing!
Mark D.
PeeGreen 914
I will aktion035.gif Autocross is my crack blink.gif but my wife is okay with that wub.gif .

I think DP may be the class I plan on building a 914 to go to nationals with. I'm not too sure as I haven't looked into it a ton. Need to do a LOT of stuff first. Besides, Greg Fordahl and Tim Kornacki are the guys that will be guiding me on this. I don't really NEED to know. I just have to listen (sometimes hard to do lol-2.gif )
yeahmag
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Apr 7 2010, 06:11 PM) *

They will be pinched on the 5.5 rims. I ran 710's on factory 5.5 rims, then got some 7" keizer rims, correct offset, and the tires were night and day faster/better on the wider rims. You CAN fit a 7" rim on a stock fendered car, but you need to get the offset just right, and depending on the car, you may or may not need to roll/smash the rear fender lip/return. Fronts should be fine. I used a 5" offset/back space/whatever you want to call it, (5" from the inner mounting surface of the hub to the back of the wheel), and had a local machine shop make spacers of different thicknesses for each corner of the car, so I could rotate tires and fit the rims under the fenders. The tires will fit on the 5.5 rims, they'll just work better on the 7" rims.

What did those rims run each if you can recall?
Joe Ricard
a rear rim can fit with up to 5 3/4" back space. like mentioned above 7" rim will fit if centered up right.
Stock 2.0L Fuchs is 4 1/2"

Or you could just step off the slippery slope and buy my 15 x 10 Bogarts.
yeahmag
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 8 2010, 01:07 PM) *

a rear rim can fit with up to 5 3/4" back space. like mentioned above 7" rim will fit if centered up right.
Stock 2.0L Fuchs is 4 1/2"

Or you could just step off the slippery slope and buy my 15 x 10 Bogarts.

Stock 2L Fuch is 5.5".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.