Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toad Twice in 8 Days
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
So Sunday a week ago the thing died in Von's parking lot. No problem. headbang.gif I Called AAA and 21 min's later they show up. Fuel pump took a crap and luckily I have a pressure gage in the old clock hole so it was an easy diagnosis. But it started right up that nite after cooling a bit. Installed a new pump Friday. Today, I pull pull into CVS after a 150mi round trip, pick up a prescription, go to start and nutin. The pump ran and everything lit up inside but I never heard the solonoid click either. So, AAA to the rescue again. Man those guys are fast. So guess what? After sitting for 2 hours it cranks right up. screwy.gif I'm thinking it's old (like me) and just needs to stop and rest once in awhile. Or a Gremlin. happy11.gif I'm hoping it's the solonoid. I have a spare starter/solonoid assm that I'll use in place of it, confused24.gif Thoughts?????
underthetire
I hate getting frogged.
brant
Ribbit
Rand
Better toad than toed. Unless you are a chicken.
Rand
No solenoid click randomly... Cracked ignition switch. Maybe corroded connections at the battery terminals, the seatbelt relay crap under the passenger seat, or the ground strap between trunk floor and tranny.
realred914
gremlins??? I knew some one that had one, was a Levis edition, factory blue jean seats door panels and dash, with a Levis tag decal on the body. cool car

AAA may have a good tow service contract , but there insurance just plain sucks they dont pay out, they hate to pay out they are one of the worst pay out insurance companys around , get hit by an AAA insured driver and you better get a attorney, they fight for the last penny and are unethical as can be,
Silverstreak
QUOTE(realred914 @ Apr 7 2010, 11:41 PM) *

gremlins??? I knew some one that had one, was a Levis edition, factory blue jean seats door panels and dash, with a Levis tag decal on the body. cool car

AAA may have a good tow service contract , but there insurance just plain sucks they dont pay out, they hate to pay out they are one of the worst pay out insurance companys around , get hit by an AAA insured driver and you better get a attorney, they fight for the last penny and are unethical as can be,

They sure as hell don't like to pay out to there service contractors either. I used to be a AAA contractor and most local tows(5 miles) only paid less than $20, of which most drivers only get 35% of at the most. So TIP YOUR TOWMAN! (If he does a good job, is careful and polite. And if you're not paying cash out of pocket).
76-914
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 7 2010, 09:25 PM) *

No solenoid click randomly... Cracked ignition switch. Maybe corroded connections at the battery terminals, the seatbelt relay crap under the passenger seat, or the ground strap between trunk floor and tranny.

Damn, I forgot about the seat belt circuit. Good thought!
TROJANMAN
This happened to one of my cars recently.
Mine would still push start, but no click when you turned the key. And it was completely random when it happened.
Troubleshot EVERYTHING and it ended up being a bad ignition switch.
Always check the easy stuff first.

Oh, and wear gloves so that you don't get warts from the Toad
76-914
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Apr 8 2010, 08:53 AM) *

This happened to one of my cars recently.
Mine would still push start, but no click when you turned the key. And it was completely random when it happened.
Troubleshot EVERYTHING and it ended up being a bad ignition switch.
Always check the easy stuff first.

Oh, and wear gloves so that you don't get warts from the Toad

I've read about switch problems so many times here that I am a bit suspect of the switch. I tried the switch at least 15 times before settling on the wrecker wescue. Is it possible for the ign switch to respond after setting for a few hours ie cool down a bit. Do the contacts wear to a point that resistance causes heat build up in the switch thus preventing contact? BTW what is the test procedure for the ign switch?
Kirmizi
Yes, mine was doing the same thing.
At first I thought it was the "hot start" problem with the solenoid or starter, but after replacing both it continued to happen. The wiring and connections were good and after replacing the switch (with a new OEM) it hasn't happened since.
Mike
Phoenix-MN
Toad?

How about a Bud.......Wise........Er

beer3.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 7 2010, 08:20 PM) *

Camel
Mark Henry
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 8 2010, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 7 2010, 08:20 PM) *

Camel

http://humor.beecy.net/misc/camel-toads/
SLITS
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Apr 8 2010, 12:00 PM) *

Toad?

beer3.gif

Butt .... wipe .... er
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 8 2010, 04:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Apr 8 2010, 12:00 PM) *

Toad?

beer3.gif

Butt .... wipe .... er

Bear ........... whiz ........... beer

The Cap'n
zymurgist
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.