Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tech Tip of the Night
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
realred914
many VW buses with type IVs have a plastic fan guard on the inlet for the engine fan, the 914 fan house will accept this screen. This will help prevent leaves, rags, bits ot tape and other engine bay junk from getting sucked into your cooling system.

this is good insurance for an optimal cooling system operation. it is amazing how much junk collects on the heads and cylinder fins under the tin, all sucked in by the uncovered 914 fan.

see your local wrecking yard for the screen.

why they was left off the 914 I dont know, a cost cutting measure I assume?
type47
Click to view attachment
BiG bOgGs
Here are before and after pics of my engine I took the first time I removed the engine tins.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
johannes
WOW !!! Very impressive...
69telecaster
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 8 2010, 05:35 AM) *

I can't dispute the value of the fan guard in light of the before-and-after photos, especially the oil cooler...yikes. But aren't the holes in the guard bigger than the holes in the engine compartment lid mesh? How did all those leaves get into the engine compartment anyway?
Makes me want to pull tins!

cm
ConeDodger
QUOTE(realred914 @ Apr 7 2010, 10:42 PM) *

see your local wrecking yard for the screen.

At least for now, these are available new for very reasonable money. No reason to crawl the yards for one unless you were there for some other reason.
Katmanken
Leaves jammed in engine, leaves stuck on screen. Both lead to overheating.

In any event, clean yer leaves out of the engine compartment,

I didn't have leaves under the engine tin, but it looked like a haloween witch wig got run through the fan.

Screen good for stopping haloween witch wigs?
SLITS
Debris got in 'cause Porsche Air Cooled engines suck .....................

air.

biggrin.gif
tradisrad
I've had a screen on my engine for the past 12 years. Dave gave me this tip way back then.
dangrouche
The Bus Depot.com sells them for $19.95 which is where i got mine, you will need three short 10mm screws of course.
realred914
QUOTE(69telecaster @ Apr 8 2010, 04:51 AM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 8 2010, 05:35 AM) *

I can't dispute the value of the fan guard in light of the before-and-after photos, especially the oil cooler...yikes. But aren't the holes in the guard bigger than the holes in the engine compartment lid mesh? How did all those leaves get into the engine compartment anyway?
Makes me want to pull tins!

cm

leaves turn side ways and get in between the lids edges and body. park under a tree for long and you will find they get in.

although you should pull the tin to assure you have no blockages, you can get an idea of how dirty your cylinders/head is by puling spark plugs and with light and small extenion mirror, look inside the tins spark holes. you can also probe with a stiff wire beyond the areas that you can see.
Root_Werks
Tree needles are another big one. Those little suckers seem to get everywhere!
anderssj
Got one of these guards on sale at Cip1.com.

Anyone know what size screws are used to hold the fan guard in place?

FlacaProductions
three 6mm bolts, three washers would be nice, and a 10mm socket
anderssj
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 13 2021, 02:30 PM) *

three 6mm bolts, three washers would be nice, and a 10mm socket

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried a few different new 6mmx1.0 hex screws with a captive washers in each of the three holes, but none would go.... I'll try to find a M6 "fine pitch" (6mmx0.75?) screw and see if that works.

Maybe the early 2.0L fan housings had the mounting bosses, but they weren't tapped as those weren't yet used in busses or other Type IVs?

Thanks again!
StarBear
And those maple seeds! Pulled several out yesterday. Even when garage- kept. mad.gif
Olympic 914
QUOTE(StarBear @ Nov 13 2021, 03:25 PM) *

And those maple seeds! Pulled several out yesterday. Even when garage- kept. mad.gif

agree.gif

They get everywhere, AND don't park near any Walnut trees this time of year. Need a hard hat just to walk under them.
iankarr
Holy thread ressurrection Batman!
wonkipop
screens were only on buses.

411/412 had a boot to body work ducting.

for both you have to take the screen/boot off to fit alternator belt?
easy to do- looking at the whole sh$t show.

suspect they left it off 914 because the deal is a feel with your fingers job?
though it would have been a good way for porsche dealer to screw a few more dollars on the service. seem to remember it was a standard replacement item to do the fan belt on my type 3 at every service whatever condition it was in. probably same for 914s.

i suppose they were hoping the engine lid did a good enough job!
not that it does.
rgalla9146

They were on busses because the Cuisinart was right there to blend your fingers.
A 914 owner has to be very determined to injure himself.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.