Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: who rebuilds - proportioning valves ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
i was wondering?

jim
URY914
No one should be.
underthetire
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Apr 8 2010, 07:03 PM) *

i was wondering?

jim

Masters are easy to re-build, but the seals kit are not available any more.
Cap'n Krusty

i was wondering?

jim

No one in their right mind. Or, maybe, no one without massive liability insurance.

The Cap'n
realred914
i believe it is PMB that does 914 brake work, i know they do the calipers, give them a call. I dont have his number right now. sorry

or suggest you call rich at 650 364-6234 and see what he has to offer. he does sell the calipers that PMB rebuilds so he should know.
914Sixer
Proportioning valves can be redone by Wilhoit Restorations in Long Beach, Ca, They do mostly 356 stuff but advertise redoing prop valves.
realred914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 9 2010, 10:35 AM) *

Proportioning valves can be redone by Wilhoit Restorations in Long Beach, Ca, They do mostly 356 stuff but advertise redoing prop valves.

they are no fly by night outfit either, they have a very good reputation in the 356 world
Joe Bob
Take the P-Valve out and put in a tee from a VW squareback....go with a new 19mm 911 master. They are cheap.
URY914
As Mr Suave said........

Click to view attachment
streetrover

i was wondering?

jim

Just curious . . . what EXACTLY do these proportioning valves do? What happens if you eliminate the valve (as shown in the pix posted by URY914)?

Joe Bob
65/35 or thereabouts bias to the front. Keeps the rears from locking up before the fronts, which is a BAD thing. Removing the valve brings it closer to 50/50 as the front brake pads are larger than the rears.

Going to bigger calipers on the fronts is good thing with the valve removed.
McMark
Technically speaking, it doesn't proportion anything. It's a limit valve. It keeps the pressure that's going to the rear brakes from rising above a certain level, whereas the fronts are free to keep rising. At low brake pressures you have the same pressure at the front as you do at the rear. A true proportioning valve would mean less pressure to the rears even as low levels.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.