Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 993 6-speed transmission?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Can the R&P be flipped in a 993 transmission? I know they came in 5 and 6 speed manual.

From the looks of it, it should fit in a 914. The output flanges are a bit too far forward, but a slight angle on the axles shouldn't be a problem.

idea.gif Andy

pcar916
I don't remember from rebuilding one 10 years ago if the case will do that, but G50's run upside down just fine. That's a lot easier than R&P flippin' since it's likely gonna be a cable shifter anyway eh?

Patrick motorsports (maybe others as well) has the short bell-housing version but I don't know if it's been fitted up to a 914. Surely someone's done it! Wonderful transmission. If it wasn't SO heavy.

Could be a good thread here! Who's doing it or finished one???
SirAndy
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 9 2010, 03:04 PM) *

I don't remember from rebuilding one 10 years ago if the case will do that, but G50's run upside down just fine. That's a lot easier than R&P flippin' since it's likely gonna be a cable shifter anyway eh?

Patrick motorsports (maybe others as well) has the short bell-housing version but I don't know if it's been fitted up to a 914. Surely someone's done it! Wonderful transmission. If it wasn't SO heavy.

Could be a good thread here! Who's doing it or finished one???

It looks like running it upside down would require cutting the trunk. I'd rather not do that.

popcorn[1].gif Andy
Porcharu
Might be easier to go with the 6 speed Subi. Not like your car is stock.
Steve
SirAndy
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 9 2010, 03:12 PM) *

Easier than mating a 993 transmission to a 993 motor using a 993 flywheel and 993 clutch?

biggrin.gif Andy
pcar916
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2010, 02:14 PM) *

Easier than mating a 993 transmission to a 993 motor using a 993 flywheel and 993 clutch?

biggrin.gif Andy

Yeah, I still have my 993 flywheel and clutch pack (55lbs) and exhaust system, and power steering pump, and... Stuff's just been sittin' there for years taunting me.

No transmission though... nuts!
SirAndy
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 9 2010, 03:21 PM) *

Yeah, I still have my 993 flywheel and clutch pack (55lbs) and exhaust system, and power steering pump, and... Stuff's just been sittin' there for years taunting me.

I have a lightened flywheel and performance clutch package that came with my motor. Much lighter than the stock setup.

It's been collecting dust at McMark's shop.
shades.gif Andy
McMark
Boxster....
Steve
I have seen it done in PMS cars before. He flipped the trans upside and cut up the trunk. You mostly find them in tube frame cars.
RJMII
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 9 2010, 04:37 PM) *

Boxster....

This one is the Boxster S 6 speed

Click to view attachment

This one is Boxster 5 Speed

Click to view attachment

Do either of them look like they will bolt onto Andy's 993 engine?
Elliot Cannon
Flipping this trans also raises the CG correct? Heavier and higher?
r_towle
Ask for a junk one at Easy...the take it apart and see...
I would suggest that you go for the new tranny that shifts in 1/1ooth of a second...
Rich
brilliantrot
A US 993 6 speed is called a g50/20. The diff can not be flipped on them so you have to run them upside down.

The are EXPENSIVE in relative terms to 901 and have terrible gearing stock. Figure ~$5k for a decent one and most don't have LSD. Gear sets are $1k each and only the early 1995 boxes came with a removable 2nd gear so add ~$2k for the equivalent of a 904 main shaft for a g50/20.

Did I mention they are ungodly heavy too?

The upsides of all this though are they do shift really well and hold a lot of power. If I were going to use one in a mid engined application, I would go with a 996/997 GT3 box as they are cable shift (much easier to route for a mid-engined application), have a decent LSD, are stronger, and have much better ratios.

Another option is to buy a g50/31. This is the gear box out of a 993RS and it has better parts and better gearing. Last I heard they were ~$13k from Sunset which is much cheaper than one could build one like it.
McMark

Yes, but I have 'Modification Goggles'. cool.gif

Where there's a will there's a way.
Andyrew
QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 9 2010, 06:04 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 9 2010, 04:37 PM) *

Boxster....

This one is the Boxster S 6 speed

Click to view attachment

This one is Boxster 5 Speed

Click to view attachment

Looks like it'll bolt to my Audi 1.8T engine.

Oh wait, thats because it will! biggrin.gif

sww914
So will an Audi 1.8t engine bolt to a 993 engine? smile.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 10 2010, 08:11 PM) *

Which one you looking at?
RJMII
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 10 2010, 08:09 PM) *

Yes, but I have 'Modification Goggles'. cool.gif

Where there's a will there's a way.

I like your goggles. =o) If you get one and start modifying it; I have a few questions. Could you PM me if that happens so I don't hijack one of Andy's threads? Or if you have one and don't mind answering a couple of measurement questions...
Andyrew
QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 10 2010, 08:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 10 2010, 08:11 PM) *

Which one you looking at?

The B5 Audi FWD transaxle's are the same bolt pattern to the boxster trani's, Not sure which one, but thats what Felix is running on his NEO car..
Mike Bellis
Just put new cams in the 3.6 and make it spin backwards poke.gif
EdwardBlume
You know a 993 shifts like "butter"... drooley.gif
JWest
You can't flip the ring gear in a G50 or newer Porsche transmission.

This is not because of room in the housing (this we could figure out how to overcome), it is because of the gear design.

The 901 and 915 use a simple spiral bevel gear where the axis of the pinion is aligned with the axis of the ring gear. In this case, rotating the ring gear around the pinion's axis has no effect, as the axis is the same as the normal pinion rotational axis.

In the G50, Porsche went to a hypoid design which places the axis of the pinion below the axis of the ring gear. The cut of the gears required for the off axis alignment (a hyperbolic tooth shape) results in a failure to mesh if the ring gear is flipped.
charliew
I think that is the deal with the suby tranny also and now a aussie is making the reverse cut ring and pinion for the 5spd suby tranny for the tail draggers.
Loser_Cruiser
so has any one ever used any of the renegade hybrids G50 mid-engine stuff? They seem to have a neat looking side shift piece, as well as a nose cone delete plate/ mount. Curious as I am graduating soon with my BS in EE, as soon as I get a job I plan to start gathering my parts up smile.gif
Porcharu
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2010, 03:14 PM) *

biggrin.gif Andy

OOPs! Didn't look close enough to the picture - I was thinking Boxster trans.
Porcharu
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 11 2010, 07:37 PM) *

I think that is the deal with the suby tranny also and now a aussie is making the reverse cut ring and pinion for the 5spd suby tranny for the tail draggers.

Yep - that is exactly the reason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.