Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Screw Size? Engine Tins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LotusJoe
I am missing a bunch of engine tin screws. What size are these screws? Looks like a M6???? dry.gif
Eric_Shea
M6
LotusJoe
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 9 2010, 03:51 PM) *

M6

Like a M6 X10 ???
Eric_Shea
Invaluable resource for these kind of things:

http://www.porsche.com/latin-america-en/ac...partscatalogue/

That and...

www.mcmaster.com

...and you're in fastener heaven.
LotusJoe
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 9 2010, 03:54 PM) *

Invaluable resource for these kind of things:

http://www.porsche.com/latin-america-en/ac...partscatalogue/

That and...

www.mcmaster.com

...and you're in fastener heaven.

Thanks!! Saves me a ton of time
Dave_Darling
There's one on the right over-cylinder tin, under the plenum, that is larger. I forget if it's M7 or M8.

--DD
type47
Socket head bolts are nice to use in those hard to get to places. Black oxide ones are cheap at Home Depot, Lowe's, or local hardware store.
thomasotten
check the online VW places. They have them, and they have a stainless steel finish.
McMark
Dave, good catch! That's only on later cases, but you're right.
veltror
There is no way I am going to use screws again, it was a bastard to get some of my screws off and the ones which I replaced with ocket heads I used cheap ones which rusted and rounded off, an even bigger bastard to do, I suggest stainless socket heads or you could go for these

http://www.volksbolts.com/eng.htm

roman
charliew
m6x10. I got a set of ss socket button head for a super beetle 1600 from someone on samba but I am going to try to find the source as I need lots of them for my projects.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 10 2010, 06:58 PM) *

Dave, good catch! That's only on later cases, but you're right.

I didn't realize it was only later! Do you know where the break was? (Hmm... Time to go spelunking in the parts catalog....

--DD
Dave_Darling
Curious, the catalog doesn't mention any larger screws.... It also lists several different lengths:

M6x10: 8 + 4 + 2 = 14
M6x12: 5 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 18
M6x15: 2 + 4 + 2 = 8

...Plus the two M5 screws for the cylinder-bottom tin, and 7 more M6x12 for the front tin--and one M6x12 bolt (yes, the Cap'n is right once again!) for the front-most holes on the front tin.

Very interesting!!

--DD
stateofidleness
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 11 2010, 12:36 PM) *

Curious, the catalog doesn't mention any larger screws.... It also lists several different lengths:

M6x10: 8 + 4 + 2 = 14
M6x12: 5 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 18
M6x15: 2 + 4 + 2 = 8

...Plus the two M5 screws for the cylinder-bottom tin, and 7 more M6x12 for the front tin--and one M6x12 bolt (yes, the Cap'n is right once again!) for the front-most holes on the front tin.

Very interesting!!

--DD

Hey Dave, I was actually about to head to local hardware store to get all the engine tin screws and was perusing the site for a compiled list of all sizes/lengths I would need.

Can you confirm this:

M6x10: 14
M6x12: 18 + ftront (12)
M6x15: 8
M5x?: 2
M6x12 (bolt?): what's the difference?
charliew
Stainless steel socket head m6x10 12mm long, pck of 50 $11.00 + shipping

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detai...0000&ucst=t

I ordered these and they are allen head ss screws and not button head screws like I thought.
stateofidleness
can those be used throughout the whole engine tin or are different sizes necessary?

I'm really dreading this part as I don't remember where screws came from
Dave_Darling
I cannot confirm anything other than that's what the catalog says. I think I used M6x10 Allen screws for all of them on mine, except for the larger one where I re-used the funky fastener that the PO installed.

BTW, the bolt is just a regular hex head bolt, not a slot-head screw. Nothing special about it, just that it isn't a screw. That's because it's difficult to get a screwdriver onto the screw-head on the forward-facing fastener. (The one holding the two pieces of front engine tin together.)

--DD
Mikey914
I have the 10mm allen head scres in stainless with stainless washers for $18 if you need them. I would definately stay away from the black oxide as they WILL rust. Cheaper, but not really what you want.

Last line on the list.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1113642
stateofidleness
If i need all 4 sides that seal the engine tin to the engine bay, which "set" would I be looking for?

can you price me a set of the screws and a set of the seals?
Mikey914
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Apr 11 2010, 09:38 PM) *

If i need all 4 sides that seal the engine tin to the engine bay, which "set" would I be looking for?

can you price me a set of the screws and a set of the seals?

You are correct that is all 4 seals. The long front ans 2 sides of the "J" seal and the "Y" seal for the back. $76 for the set,
Screws for $18.

Shipping $6
I'll PM you with the payment info.
stateofidleness
sounds good! it'll be wednesday before i pull the trigger, but look for it then!

thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.