Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75 green car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
I was looking at some pics McMark posted and noticed what looks like a fuel filter in the engine bay just before the fuel rail. Did new cars have this filter there? Anyone else do this and is it a good idea? If the heat isn't a factor, it would seem to be easier to change the second fuel filter there.
Tom
Pics here http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105807 11 th pic.
Katmanken
That might be the fuel pressure regulator being mistaken for a filter. It's about the right location.

Tom
Pressure regulator is on the drivers side , this one is on the pass side. It is a fuel filter.
Tom
Root_Werks
Not suppose to be there of course. All stock 914's had filters under the engine. Even after the 75-76' moved the pump to the front.

Might be something someone added or moved becuase it is easier to access?

I would think heat would be a factor and you would want the filter as low as possible so no chance air gets trapped in it.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 13 2010, 10:14 AM) *

Not suppose to be there of course. All stock 914's had filters under the engine. Even after the 75-76' moved the pump to the front.

Might be something someone added or moved because it is easier to access?

I would think heat would be a factor and you would want the filter as low as possible so no chance air gets trapped in it.

Not exactly. ALL 914/4s had a fuel filter BEFORE the pump. 1970-1974 had it below the battery under the engine. '75-'76 had it between the tank and the pump, behind the little "door" in the rear bulkhead of the front trunk. IN NO CASE should a filter be placed AFTER the pump, especially if it's a plastic one.

The Cap'n
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 13 2010, 12:19 PM) *

Not exactly. ALL 914/4s had a fuel filter BEFORE the pump. 1970-1974 had it below the battery under the engine. '75-'76 had it between the tank and the pump, behind the little "door" in the rear bulkhead of the front trunk. IN NO CASE should a filter be placed AFTER the pump, especially if it's a plastic one.

The Cap'n

Yep. They aren't meant to handle the pressure.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 13 2010, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 13 2010, 12:19 PM) *

The Cap'n

Yep. They aren't meant to handle the pressure.

Yup! I totally forgot about the 75-76' moving up front before the pump.
Tom
In that case, this seems to be waiting for a fire! Anyone know this person to warn them?
Tom
TheCabinetmaker
Are you talking about this pic? I don't think that is a fuel filter. I believe thats part of the 75/76 smog control.
tradisrad
decel valve. as early as '73
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
I think Tom was talking about this.....bad place for it.
Cap'n Krusty
Dead center on the right edge ............... Plastic fuel filter. Bad news .......

The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 13 2010, 11:22 AM) *

Dead center on the right edge ............... Plastic fuel filter. Bad news .......

agree.gif

TheCabinetmaker
Wel shoot! I totally missed that. Good eye guys!
Katmanken
There are fuel filters designed to run on the high pressure side.

The VW Vanagon runs one and it's a huge metal can about the size of an old 1 qt. oil can.

Run, don't walk to the store for a piece of high pressure fuel line to replace that plastic filter, and move the plastic filter to a place BEFORE the pump..

Sleepin
agree.gif

This was such a sneaky picture!

Root_Werks
Yup, I haven't ever seen (Not that they don't exist) a plastic filter on anything above 12psig before. Any high pressure filter I've seen has always been metal.

But then, I haven't seen a lot. wink.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I think they had plastics ones from the factory. I know my 73 1.7 did.
SirAndy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 13 2010, 12:42 PM) *

But not on the pressure side of things. That's what he's referring to ...
shades.gif Andy
Bleyseng
yes, all 914's had a fuel filter placed BEFORE the fuel pump.....
Root_Werks
We should probably make sure people know exactly what we are talking about here.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 13 2010, 12:47 PM) *

We should probably make sure people know exactly what we are talking about here.....

Zee Fillder!
Sleepin
agree.gif

Root_Werks
Oh I see it now...
Bleyseng

That looks like a drawing Redshift did back in the day...
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 13 2010, 02:40 PM) *

Yup, I haven't ever seen (Not that they don't exist) a plastic filter on anything above 12psig before. Any high pressure filter I've seen has always been metal.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 13 2010, 02:46 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

I didn't say anything about where the filter was placed. I know well where it goes. I was refering to roots statement that they never used plastic ones over 12 psi. I think they did!
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 13 2010, 01:06 PM) *

That looks like a drawing Redshift did back in the day...

av-943.gif

I had that one saved on my PC for years, the cam with the lobes.

av-943.gif
Frost
av-943.gif i like those pics!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 13 2010, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 13 2010, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 13 2010, 02:46 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

I didn't say anything about where the filter was placed. I know well where it goes. I was refering to roots statement that they never used plastic ones over 12 psi. I think they did!

Wrong. In a 914/4, there's no pressure on the factory installed filters.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.