Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ? DPD and VPC A/C Center Console differences ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
I'm not sure what I have, so...

I have a hard plastic, 3 gauge, center piece which has the gauges angled facing the driver. The clock is quartz. It is short to accommodate A/C.

I also used to have a vinyl covered, 3 gauge, short center console in which the gauges sat square in the holes.

My research seems to show that there were two different types of A/C with each a particular center console.

~I'm curious to know which year has which type of air-conditioning/center console combination?
~Is it true that the short, angled, gauge console is the rarer of the types?
~Is it true that A/C was a dealer installed option only?

Thanks !
Tom_T
This is the DPD console & underdash AC unit, where the controls are usually centered under the regular dash vent/heat control sliders sit, & the leftmost vent outlet for the AC is closer to the steering wheel than in the VPCs below:

Click to view attachment

This is the VPC console & underdash AC unit, with the dials offset to the right of the dash sliders & the leftmost AC vent is further from the steering wheel & driver:

Click to view attachment

... The VPD in center console models has the 3 gauges flat mounted (as opposed to the DPD's canted ones), but more obvious is that they're in a triangular arrangement in the shortened gauge face board:

Click to view attachment

Also the DPD used a conical flat topped cover over the condenser in the spare tire well in the front trunk, over & around which the spare fit neatly without much if any added height to reduce front trunk storage space. I think it might have been a later development of the following & may have had the same designer.

Whereas the VPC (Volkswagen Products Corp. - VW of America's accessories arm) had a a square or rectangular shroud which the spare sat on to of, which raised the floor board height & reduced trunk space. Apparently there are a few examples out there with alternative locations in the rear trunk or under the car because of this issue.

All AC's on 914's were dealer installed options (excepting later conversions), &IIRC both VPC & DPD were available in all model years 1970-76. Apparently the "modern" unit sold by AA is also designed by the guy who did the DPD (at least that's what their catalog says).

I cannot say which are/were more prevalent,but most preferred the DPD for the above reasons & slightly better cooling effectiveness - & either could freeze your socks off in that little cockpit, but both robbed 5-8 HP when running, vs. only 1-2 HP on the Modern R134 ones sold by AA.

Hope this helps! biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
Very interesting. I used to think the 3 offset gauges were home brewed solutions for a large diameter gauge set. confused24.gif lol-2.gif

So there were 3 A/C options. DPD, VPC, and the VPD.

DPD and VPC were offered in all years. VPD in later cars.

This is why I need to hang out more in "Originality and History".

driving.gif
Tom_T
Oooops!!!! - my bad! chair.gif
No Roger - just the 2 - the "VPD" was just my brain fart"! laugh.gif

The second 914 with the VPC center console is Steve G's Sahara beige featured in the O&H Forum's "The few, the rare ..." nailed thread. I added it when I realized the old VPC options brochure pic didn't show the console.

I'm trying to train myself with the VPC there! lol-2.gif

You could say that the new AC sold at AA is the 3rd one. Here's the link to the AA site on their 1 & 2 condenser versions of it for 914s:
http://www.autoatlanta.org/detail.lasso?pa...;serial_number=

A better description of it is on pg. 149 of their free to download AA linkable pdf 914 catalog at this link below, which does say that the same guy designed all 3 systems - VPC, DPD & new AA one):
http://www.autoatlanta.com/pdf/download914...e-914-parts.pdf

This is their how to install a VPC or DPD unit book by Dr. George:

IIRC - this isn't covered at the O&H section yet, so maybe when I get time I can post pix. I did all this research because I was considering putting AC in mine as a part of the resto due to the SoCal heat, but was advised by dr914 (George Hussey) not to do so since mine was never optioned that way from the dealer.

After all the research - my plan ended up though to try to put the "new" R134 system of his into a period correct dash/shorty-console & front condenser of the DPD - so modern innards & operation with the correct period look (as if updated), which is probably what I'd do today if I had an AC'ed 914 whose DPD AC unit was dead or becoming a PITA to keep running.
Tom_T
Roger - I put the link below in O&H - to your topic here as a temporary measure ....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=105915&st=

popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.