Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are people doing after driving in the rain...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dank
...in terms of preventive rust maintenance, etc.?

Found this on what people who water-wash their car do, so I assume it's the same type of stuff?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=71280

air compressor to blow out water from any nooks and crannies, after making sure in particular to get (with a towel):
- trunk gutters
- bottom corners of the front trunk, since water travels from top corners to bottom.
- inside edges of the window trim
- the black plastic vent plugs in the door jams
SirAndy
I added small drain holes to the rear trunk and floorboards.
If that's not enough, i use a towel to get the water out as soon as possible.

I don't have a garage, so i have to do that frequently ...
dry.gif Andy
turboman808
Use and air compressor like you said.

You have to use soap and water to get the dirt off the car. I've seen people use steam but it's really not impressive at all, great for cleaning motors and under the car though.

When your done use the air compressor. I use a shop vac that I only use for drying the car. It has a filter so I am not blowing any dust or dirt back on the car. Towel up the excess

After that park the car in the sun to heat up the car and get anything you might have missed.

I haven't washed my car in 6 months. It's only got dust on it and I used a duster and air to get it off. Then hit up the paint with some poor boys spray n shine to make it look a touch better.

Use soft plush microfiber towels to prevent scratching. It's softer then cotton and also pulls moistrue away from the car alot better .
r_towle
I park the car...what else would I do after driving...
If your car is leaking, fix the leak if you can or put a cover on the car when you park it.

Rich
BigDBass
I don't drive it in the rain but have been caught a time or two. But... my car is utterly filthy. I want to wash it but threads like this one and the "dry wash" one referred to above scare me.
lotus_65
just make sure the drain holes are clear.

i'd check the turn signal housings unless you know the seals are perfect.
pcar916
I'm often caught in the rain and with a six, there is water to towel out of the engine compartment since there is no rain tray. That said...

if I keep the speed above 65 or so, no rain gets in the engine compartment.

I make sure the hell hole gets dried out along with any other puddles that form elsewhere in the car. Then celebrate how much fun it is to drive in the rain.

That and a big parking lot make for good times to teach the kids car control, and how NOT to be freaked out when the back end gets loose.
VaccaRabite
I drove in the rain today. Weather man lied about when it would start. :/
When I got home I just put it in the garage. No biggie.

I am way more concerned about road salt then I am about a clear water spring rain.

Zach
realred914
compressed air can be tough on paint, lift up defects, be careful. really these cars can be driven teh int ehrain. if you park in a garage all the better, I have kept them outside all winter, just silicone the top seal if yours is shot and you cant afford a new one, a six buck tube of silicone will do several topes, mask with tape to get a nice stright line. when summer comes, zip it off with a sharp knive

main thing is good paint and wax , take care of chips right away even tempory fix with primer is better than bare metal for even a few days, frquent wax repels waxer, check for and repair leaks right away. do unde rside inspect fo intact seam sealer under car, make sure battery is sealed type so no acid rians down on suspension. oil under side of car with comercial weather proof coatigns as needed, dont drive on salted roads.

do this and you can drive in teh rain all you want. maintanence is the key. I used to commut daiily many miles rain or shine, even storms in my 914 I had to repalce my top seal, but other wise it was great good heater is helpful cuase there is always some leak, and you need ot cook out the humidity to see out the the windows.

I think I will go play my Who album, the rain song.
Rand
All the areas that are prone to rust should be meticulously taken care of and painted well! Water runs off good paint. Water is only an enemy when it reaches unprotected metal.

If you are well protected, don't fear rain.

But DO check protection often!
horizontally-opposed
Question: "What are people doing after driving in the rain?"
Answer: "Painting their 914s."

At least, that was my experience. I've always LOVED driving my 914 in the rain (at least on good roads) but I am sad to say I probably won't anymore. My car had a few VERY minor rust bubbles that didn't change for 10-15 years the car was garaged, used occasionally (and occasionally in the rain), and washed from time to time. Then I pressed it back into service as a daily for a year, in all weather and quite a bit of rain.

A few years later, things started bubbling up. Not a lot, but the things that were stagnant previously started making their move. We stripped the car to bare metal and found it is probably one of the less rusty 914s out there (esp. for 250,000+ miles) — but my experience tells me these cars are NOT okay in the rain. They're old, they do not benefit from rust-proofing, and there are a lot of pores and voids for water and moisture to get into that are then not easily or economically fixed.

I am VERY surprised I am coming to this conclusion because I am a bit believer in driving the cars, but I'd like to keep this car another 30-40 years, and the best way to do that I can see is to sacrifice the fun of using it in the rain. That said, I know other 914 nuts I respect a great deal who take a very different view — one I agree with if the car is seen as a tool and as a replaceable tool. I don't view my 914 as replaceable. I could (and probably would) get another one, but it's been in the family since 1986 and in my care since 1991. A lot of memories...

YMMV!

pete
veltror
if you take a look at my car you can see what happened to it after i drove it everyday for 10 years, rain,snow,fog,sun whatever. Yes i had serious rust issues and yes it is going to cost me time and money, but cars are to be driven not garage queens, besides if i could only drive on sunny days it would mean 360 days a year it would be parked in a garage. And in all those 10 yeasr it was outside, because i did not have a garage....
rwilner
My father has a corvette and we have a dehumidifier in the garage. We run it for a few days after the car has been washed or gets caught in the rain.

It is a garage queen though, so not sure about what you'd do for a DD.

His garage is very tight which means we're not dehumidifying the outside world. That would take a much larger dehumidifier I think.
dflesburg
Just like when we wash them.

Open all doors, trunks, compartments and dry out everywhere.

You wouldnt put a baby to bed wet would you?

If the car has to sit out get a cover, even a walmart cover works but be sure to wash it in the big drum washers at the laundry mat now and then and use camp dry on it to keep it water proof. (dont treat it while its on the car).

Katmanken
I see a need for a 914 sump pump system.. idea.gif

Shade Tree
After I drive my car in the rain, I go inside and put on dry clothes....'cause that sucker leaks!
bandjoey
Replace all of your seals with Mikey's seals, adjust the side windows to fit tight, reseal the rear window, and you'll not have any water inside the car. smash.gif
Fix the rust and repaint the outside, and water doesn't matter. - To me, that is - smoke.gif
Drums66
[quote name='BigDBass' date='Apr 13 2010, 05:01 PM' post='1302974']
I don't drive it in the rain but have been caught a time or two.

ECHO echo yellowsleep[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
underthetire
Put dry shoes and socks on.
charliew
I don't like air pressure blowing water in cracks and crevaces. It will then get to where it normally wouldn't. My friend always blows his harley off with the air hose. His switches usually last about 4 years then he buys new ones.
PeeGreen 914
I open all areas that "could have moisture trapped and give it all a nice wipe. I Rhino Lined my floor and interior so I don't worry about the water in there. It isn;t going to do anything.

URY914
Go to Costco and buy a case of Q-tips.
Pat Garvey
Ummm, don't let it get wet?
Seriously, do not use a blower! Pushes water into places not meant for it.

If you do - us procto swabs (will post a pic if necessary). They are non-cotton 15" swabs that sock up lotsa crud. Don't know the "official" name, but orthobiz should be able to provide. Once used them just for my tailpipe, before I found other uses.
Pat
Porcharu
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 13 2010, 02:00 PM) *

I added small drain holes to the rear trunk and floorboards.
If that's not enough, i use a towel to get the water out as soon as possible.

I don't have a garage, so i have to do that frequently ...
dry.gif Andy

I didn't think those holes in my rear trunk were stock - not symetrical. I know the ones in the floorboards were not stock as they came from me when the ONE time I parked the car outside overnight it poured and put over an inch of water inside the car.
Are there any stock drainage holes?
Steve
Root_Werks
I've driven 914's in the rain lots of times. I think the key is making sure they get a chance to dry out in angarage. Letting them sit out in some place like the PNW is not good.

Also mentioned is seals, rear window, front windshield etc. Make sure you're letting as little water into the car as possible. This inlcudes having a properly working rain tray on the engine lid.

Craig (CAMP914) and I noticed some years back, not discovered - I'm sure others have seen it as well, a hole on the top side of the longs on each side.

To find the hole, open engine lid, follow the long up towards the back of the car. Just kinda almost behind the plastic "cup" for the targa top latchs, there is a hole on both sides.

When you wash your 914, you'd be amazed how much water gets down that hole.

Normal rain, no, washing, yes!
flipb
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 14 2010, 10:52 PM) *

Ummm, don't let it get wet?
Seriously, do not use a blower! Pushes water into places not meant for it.

If you do - us procto swabs (will post a pic if necessary). They are non-cotton 15" swabs that sock up lotsa crud. Don't know the "official" name, but orthobiz should be able to provide. Once used them just for my tailpipe, before I found other uses.
Pat

T. M. I.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.