Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ebay seller backs out of sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
I won an ebay auction for a center console last night and paid with paypal within 5 minutes. Tonight I received a message from paypal noting that my payment was returned by the seller with a note saying: Mark: Sorry things didn't work out.. Dave david kimple DK@TOAST.NET

I tried contacting David but didn’t receive a response. I paid $237.50 + $20.00 shipping. The only thing I can conclude is David didn’t feel he made enough on the sale and is now backing out of the transaction. I feel I won fairly and paid him. If he wants to give it to me for free, that’s ok with me but I still expect him to deliver the product I won. I hate to put something like this out on the board but I think David is a member on this site and maybe I will get a response from him since he did not respond directly to my email. Mark Epstein

Item condition: Used

Ended: Apr 13, 201016:56:28 PDT

Bid history: 3 bids

Winning bid: US $237.50
charliew
I would file a complaint with ebay.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 14 2010, 05:55 PM) *

You are lucky ...

$240 for a used center console is way too much money anyways. You can get a nice one with all the gauges for $150 ...

shades.gif Andy
rick 918-S
Dave is BarberDave. I'm sure there was a reason. I think he donates the money he receives from sales to charity. Give him a chance to contact you. I'm sure he has a good reason. If Dave spins out I will take care of the console deal for him. I have a nice one here I have been saving. I was not planning on selling it but I would rather see it go than have Dave flamed. Dave is a stand up guy.
mack9146
Dave is a stand up guy. Had to be a reason.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 14 2010, 06:42 PM) *

Dave is BarberDave. I'm sure there was a reason. I think he donates the money he receives from sales to charity. Give him a chance to contact you. I'm sure he has a good reason. If Dave spins out I will take care of the console deal for him. I have a nice one here I have been saving. I was not planning on selling it but I would rather see it go than have Dave flamed. Dave is a stand up guy.

I agree!
rick 918-S
Here is what Dave does with the money.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=104765
rick 918-S
If you don't here from Dave send me a P.M. I will take care of him no questions asked.
markb
Rick, save yours. I have one with gauges in my garage I don't have a use for if mepstein still needs one.
rick 918-S
Cool, Mark, I'm working on an order for ya.
JRust
Ditto Dave is a stand up guy. Don't sweat it. I am sure an explanation is forthcoming to you.
markb
Cool! We like orders. Especially big ones. biggrin.gif

Don't feel obligated, tho. Only when you need/want something. smile.gif
Gary
You guys rock! Love this board. Just got my GPR -6 engine tin back from powder coating a few days ago - nice!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
He could have double listed it by accident. It has happened to us. When we instantly gave the second purchaser his money back he asked pay pal to send the money back to us and then left bad feedback. Can't win some times.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 14 2010, 05:55 PM) *

I won an ebay auction for a center console last night and paid with paypal within 5 minutes. Tonight I received a message from paypal noting that my payment was returned by the seller with a note saying: Mark: Sorry things didn't work out.. Dave david kimple DK@TOAST.NET

I tried contacting David but didn’t receive a response. I paid $237.50 + $20.00 shipping. The only thing I can conclude is David didn’t feel he made enough on the sale and is now backing out of the transaction. I feel I won fairly and paid him. If he wants to give it to me for free, that’s ok with me but I still expect him to deliver the product I won. I hate to put something like this out on the board but I think David is a member on this site and maybe I will get a response from him since he did not respond directly to my email. Mark Epstein

Item condition: Used

Ended: Apr 13, 201016:56:28 PDT

Bid history: 3 bids

MDG
Mark, I contacted Dave the first day he listed that console and explained to him I don't do Ebay because, well, it annoys me. I love the charity donation he does with these things so a couple of hours before the auction ended I offered him way more than he was going to get - $500.00 - and he closed the auction early. I am also sending him my old console to refurbish and sell in the future.

Are these consoles - even a near perfect one like this - worth $500 and a trade in? Hardly. But the efforts of people to get off their asses and do things like Dave is doing need more than a pat on the back, they need support.

I'm really sorry it blew back on you, it was certainly not my intent and I guarantee you it wasn't Dave's.

m.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 14 2010, 09:50 PM) *

Mark, I contacted Dave the first day he listed that console and explained to him I don't do Ebay because, well, it annoys me. I love the charity donation he does with these things so a couple of hours before the auction ended I offered him way more than he was going to get - $500.00 - and he closed the auction early. I am also sending him my old console to refurbish and sell in the future.

Are these consoles - even a near perfect one like this - worth $500 and a trade in? Hardly. But the efforts of people to get off their asses and do things like Dave is doing need more than a pat on the back, they need support.

I'm really sorry it blew back on you, it was certainly not my intent and I guarantee you it wasn't Dave's.

m.

Mystery solved! Michael you are a generous soul! I knew there had to be a good explanation for the refund. Mark, sorry you were upset but you can see why we came to Dave defence. This is how Dave gives back. Mark From GPR Parts has your back on the console.
kconway
I think Dave is doing admirable work and I'm sure he's a standup guy. However, I'm not sure that makes it right for sellers OR buyers to backout after auctions have closed regardless. I've also had sellers do this to me and tell me afterward they didn't actually have the part to sell or that they sold it locally. There are far more sellers that pull this stunt because the item didn't sell for what they thought it would but didn't list a reserve to save the $$.
Anywho, glad it worked out for everyone in this instance.
r_towle
Daves not here man.

Name the movie
SLITS
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 14 2010, 08:38 PM) *

Daves not here man.

Name the movie

Cheech and Chong ... Up in Smoke!
shoguneagle
This activity represents why I joined the 914club years ago. Glad to see it is still alive and well with the honesty and dedication to serve others. I am now a happy camper after all the recent problems.

Makes me feel good to see this thread.

Steve Hurt
oz371
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 14 2010, 08:45 PM) *

Daves not here man.

Name the movie

I am shocked that you knew this Ron!! av-943.gif

Earache my eye!!
Dr Evil
Ah ha! Dave forgot to end the auction. Ah well. You were about to pay way too much for it and you are going to the swap next weekend where you can get one for less smile.gif

Oh ya, Dave is a great guy smile.gif He may be at the swap.
Tom_T
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 14 2010, 08:45 PM) *

Daves not here man.

Name the movie

33 album & cassette tape by the same name!! biggrin.gif

... no man, I'm Dave, let me in! biggrin.gif
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 14 2010, 07:26 PM) *

I think Dave is doing admirable work and I'm sure he's a stand up guy. However, I'm not sure that makes it right for sellers OR buyers to back out after auctions have closed regardless.

Well said! A deal is a deal.
Dr Evil
What, no room for error?
Doc,

The real question is – is there room for error for your profession?
Some things are just non negotiable – like one’s reputation.
Dr Evil
I see your point. Selling on ebay is exactly like saving lives. (?)

BTW, ALL doctors fuck up. It is the ones that admit it and try to fix it from ever happening that are the great ones. Thus, this simple error on Dave's part need only be addressed, planned against, and forgiven. Then it would be just like my profession.

wink.gif
messix
it appears that the situation has been explained and people have offered equal if not better replacement at a much lower price, so can this thread just go away?

lets just let the parties involved sort this out and the peanut gallery can just back off now.
mepstein
Dave emailed me, explained what happened (accident) and all is forgiven. Earth has resumed it's rotation. Sorry to trouble everyone over a small matter. Mark
mepstein
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 15 2010, 01:23 AM) *

I see your point. Selling on ebay is exactly like saving lives. (?)

BTW, ALL doctors fuck up. It is the ones that admit it and try to fix it from ever happening that are the great ones. Thus, this simple error on Dave's part need only be addressed, planned against, and forgiven. Then it would be just like my profession.

wink.gif

Doc - You forgot - Lawsuit, malpractice insurance, deep pockets, lawyers, settlement.
MDG
I'm glad to hear your cool with it, Mark. And as I said, it was about 3 hour before the auction ended, not after it closed.

Dave didn't have a winning bid and then get a better offer . . . . he got a phone in bid with a few hours left which he accepted. The auctioneer just forgot to say 'Sold!' and end the auction.

Good on ya, Dave! Cheers, Mark!

m.
carr914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 15 2010, 12:39 AM) *

Ah ha! Dave forgot to end the auction. Ah well. You were about to pay way too much for it and you are going to the swap next weekend where you can get one for less smile.gif

Oh ya, Dave is a great guy smile.gif He may be at the swap.

QUOTE(396 @ Apr 15 2010, 12:48 AM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 14 2010, 07:26 PM) *

I think Dave is doing admirable work and I'm sure he's a stand up guy. However, I'm not sure that makes it right for sellers OR buyers to back out after auctions have closed regardless.

Well said! A deal is a deal.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 15 2010, 06:48 AM) *

Dave emailed me, explained what happened (accident) and all is forgiven. Earth has resumed it's rotation. Sorry to trouble everyone over a small matter. Mark

You Can't end an eBay Auction in the last 12 Hours ( I've tried), so the only option if the item sells off eBay is revise the listing saying it is no longer for sale and refund any payments.

I'm glad that Mark is cool with everything. I'm surprized that you just didn't wait for the next BarberDave Console thou.

But you know what? This whole thing just shows how cool this 914 Community is;

BarberDave re-doing these & donating monies to Charity, Michael over-paying knowing that the money is going to charity, Dave & Mark coming to the rescue, and Mark ( mepstein) being a good sport.

I say Win smilie_pokal.gif , Win smilie_pokal.gif , Win smilie_pokal.gif , Win smilie_pokal.gif , Win smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.