Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass

I was driving the 914 home from my in-laws I decided to stop for ice cream for the girls. It had started just fine at their house, then drove for 20 or so minutes before stopping.

Bought the ice cream, then the car wouldn't start back up. Battery seems fine, and I think the starter was fine as it was turning over, but the engine wouldn't fire up. Sorta seemed like no fuel?

Waited a few minutes then tried again but no luck. Called home to tell the wife, then naturally my cell battery died. Waited a few more minutes, tried and failed to start, then walked home to kill time and post/search on here (and keep my wife from freaking!)

So any tips?
SLITS
fuel pump? did you hear it run when you turned the ignition on?

blown fuse on the relay board?

Bad FP relay on the relay board?

McMark
Go back and try it again. wink.gif
r_towle
It got flooded.

probably need to replace your CHT. These motor get hotter when you park them...by quite a bit on a 20 minute drive.

If it happens again, remove the air cleaner so the intake gets fresh air, hold your foot to the floor so the throttle is wide open and crank it for a bit...you will eventually get it going.

I suspect if you go back after an hour or so, it will start right up.

Get it home.. we can tell you a few tests to see what the real problem is.

rich
Dr Evil
AAR or heater fan power grounded? These will blow the fuse to the Fuel pump power. Same supply.
drgchapman
Just had same issue with mine. Check to make sure fuel pump is priming the system upon turn of the key, prior crank position. Fuel pump relay is in the engine bay, third round one from the front of the car. You can "borrow" another relay from the panel, pick the first or fourth one from the front, they run the rear window defroster and the heater blower motor respectively. The second relay is for the injection system, might want to swap that one as well. In other words, the two middle round relays are the important ones and the end ones are optional for getting home. The relays are getting old, I found that out of 6 extra relays that I had, 3 were defective, 2 intermittently.

Good luck.
Gary
BigDBass
Oh yeah, meant to mention that I was listening for the fuel pump to "prime" when first turning the key to ON, and I couldn't hear it, but that may have been due to traffic noise.

My plan/hope is that after I walk back it will start up, then can dig deeper after it's home. Figured I may as well get the conversation started while I wait! smile.gif

I cursed myself by mentioning to my father-in-law how great it's been running...

Further back story is that I was at their house to fix their PC. Ended up bringing it home with me, so had the pleasure of the ~1 mile walk from Baskin Robbins carrying a quart of ice cream and their PC tower!
Tom
If your fuel pump is running, you probably have what was mentioned by Rich. If it happens again, before you put the gas pedal to the floor, turn the key to off. Prevents a shot from the injectors, which makes the problem worse. I've had this happen several times and asked before. If you are good at the search function, look up hot,hard to start. Brad Anders gave me the answer.
Tom
BigDBass

Ok, have 4 spare round relays to take back with me and spare fuses waiting in the glovebox.

It's been over an hour now. Is that long enough for it to cool down?
Tom
YEP!
BigDBass
Ok, here goes nuthin'! Cross your fingers! biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif
Dr. Roger
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

I just love troubleshooting stuff. It's so educational.
Jerry

.....Well ????? We are waiting on pins and needles!!! What happened?
BigDBass
Started right up! biggrin.gif

So now I'm trying to figure out what I learned...
BigDBass
Lessons so far:
1. Don't use up your cell battery on PC tech support calls to India prior to having car trouble.
2. Keep extra relays in the car instead of the garage.
3. Eating ice cream is a good way to kill time while waiting for your car to cool off.
4a. 914world is always there to help when you have trouble.
4b. 914world is to blame for dragging me in to trouble in the first place.
rick 918-S
Glad it worked out ok! bye1.gif
Tom
aktion035.gif
Root_Werks
We're here to help buddy. biggrin.gif

Well, except me, I waited until it was all over......then started posting dancing bananas.

mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Apr 14 2010, 09:51 PM) *

....so had the pleasure of the ~1 mile walk from Baskin Robbins carrying a quart of ice cream and their PC tower!

lol-2.gif huh.gif poke.gif

Sorry, I was just invisioning what I would have thought as I drove past some guy carrying a PC tower and a bucket of ice cream.....at least you didn't have on high heels and a skirt.... blink.gif

So the final verdict was just a hot start issue.....or a CHT?
BigDBass
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Apr 15 2010, 10:37 AM) *

So the final verdict was just a hot start issue.....or a CHT?

I think it was the "vapor lock" flavor of hot start issues.
I'm hoping one of our many teachers might confirm?

Er, wait, nevermind, vapor lock on a 4 seems uncommon/non-issue according to search.
IronHillRestorations
I disagree Dan, I had a '73 2.0 that wouldn't start when hot, if you had less than 1/4 tank of gas. Wait an hour or so and it would start up no problem, full tank of fuel no problems. I can't say this will work for you, but it did for me.
Tom
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=99261&hl=
What you probably had is described in this thread.
Tom
BigDBass
QUOTE(Tom @ Apr 15 2010, 01:16 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=99261&hl=
What you probably had is described in this thread.
Tom

Ah thanks, Tom! That sheds light for sure.
(I did look for that thread when you first mentioned it, but my searching skills weren't up to par!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.