Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement key
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Limesoda
Anyone know how to get a replacement ignition key? My mom lost both of hers... damn old age memory loss I guess. If not, is there a way to unlock the steering without a key? I can't get it on a trailer with the wheels locked... headbang.gif

Chris
smontanaro
Can you get the front wheels onto some dollies then roll it onto the trailer that way?

Limesoda
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Apr 20 2010, 02:52 AM) *

Can you get the front wheels onto some dollies then roll it onto the trailer that way?

Thanks for the reply. That's a good idea, unfortunately I don't think it would work because it is in gravel and the ramps to the trailer are not smooth... sad.gif

Chris
Sleepin
The quickest way Chris, would be to use an allen wrench to pull the four bolts under the column (that hold the column to the dash) and pull the steering shaft coupling near the footwell. This will enable you to kick-steer the tires.

If you are not in a hurry, you can pull the column and remove the tumbler and get it to a locksmith.....edit: If your mom is sure that the trunk key is the same as the ignition, you can pull the trunk lock out and take it to a locksmith....a lot easier than messing with the column, as you can remove the trunk lock in under 2 minutes. wink.gif
bandjoey
Door lock comes out easily and any good locksmith can make a new key. If the key numbers are in the owners manual a locksmith can code cut the key.
Limesoda
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 20 2010, 09:54 AM) *

Door lock comes out easily and any good locksmith can make a new key. If the key numbers are in the owners manual a locksmith can code cut the key.

Thanks guys! I called Porsche, they want $60 and 3 days to make a key (not as bad as I thought) of course, I don't know if the car has been re-keyed. I just called all of the locksmiths in the area of the town the car is in and they all go to the same dispatch who wants $120 to go out there to do the key. ar15.gif Finally I got an actual shop that can do the key for $17 if I bring in the cylinder... smilie_pokal.gif Geez-Louise!

Chris
Sleepin

I got an actual shop that can do the key for $17 if I bring in the cylinder... smilie_pokal.gif Geez-Louise!

Chris

That is your ticket. Now pull that trunk lock out! wink.gif
Limesoda
They lied... sad.gif They said that they could cut the key if I brought in the tumbler but they actually need the code. I pulled the driver's door handle and lock and the trunk lock...no code headbang.gif Anyone know where I can find the code to cut a new key? Why is this so hard?

Chris
markb
You'll want to have a key made for the ignition, and if it's different than the others, you'll be doing this again, so go ahead & pull the ignition & have the key made from it. If you're lucky, it'll have the code on it. The locksmith I've used in the past didn't need the code, he'd look at the wafers & be able to do it by that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.