Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can I safely remove my rear view mirror?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Hi, my rear view mirror is cracked and damaged beyond repair and I have a nice spare one I got from Bruce (thanks!!) I have the adhesive sticker and am ready to install the mirror, but before I do anything I would like to ask for some advice from you people on how can I remove the old mirror without damaging the nice somewhat fresh front windshield I have on now? I did a search but am not coming up with anything...would a hair dryer work? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I thought I would ask here first before trying anything...thanks and cheers beerchug.gif
charliew
I have just pulled them off but If it was me I would call a auto glass shop you might be familiar with if someone here doesn't respond pretty soon. I probably would still call my favorite glass shop to compare replys anyway. I think I remember using some laquer thinner on one to get it softened up before I pulled it off. I know thats what I used to clean the residue up.
jeffdon
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Apr 26 2010, 07:32 AM) *

Hi, my rear view mirror is cracked and damaged beyond repair and I have a nice spare one I got from Bruce (thanks!!) I have the adhesive sticker and am ready to install the mirror, but before I do anything I would like to ask for some advice from you people on how can I remove the old mirror without damaging the nice somewhat fresh front windshield I have on now? I did a search but am not coming up with anything...would a hair dryer work? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I thought I would ask here first before trying anything...thanks and cheers beerchug.gif

You have one that sticks? Whats that like?
jaxdream
You don't really have to take the windshield mount off to change the mirror , there is a small screw that holds the mirror to the windshield mount , it is inside of the "stem " that the mirror is attached to .The screw head is slotted , use a very good small slotted screw driver , work with it for a bit or it may come right on out. You might apply a little heat ( not a lot so as to not melt anything ) which will aid in the removal of the screw , it is long but very small diameter . Good luck , maybe give it shot before trying to unglue the windshield mount.

Jack / Jaxdream
turboman808
I was having a heck of a time trying to get a mirror off of a parts car. Then I took the heat gun to it. Thing popped right off.
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

The 2 or so I've dealt with popped off rather easily..
RJMII
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Apr 26 2010, 09:04 AM) *

You don't really have to take the windshield mount off to change the mirror , there is a small screw that holds the mirror to the windshield mount , it is inside of the "stem " that the mirror is attached to .The screw head is slotted , use a very good small slotted screw driver , work with it for a bit or it may come right on out. You might apply a little heat ( not a lot so as to not melt anything ) which will aid in the removal of the screw , it is long but very small diameter . Good luck , maybe give it shot before trying to unglue the windshield mount.

Jack / Jaxdream

agree.gif

And about the time you get the replacement one just about tightened, the old windsheild mount should fall off easily into your hand, replacement mirror and all.
nsr-jamie
Thanks, I will try to unscrew the mount, I didn't even notice that, thanks!! I actually installed the mirror last year or so and yes it sticks well to the glass for the time being. I bought the adhesive sticker at HPH and it works well but unfortunately the mirror cracked and needs replacement and I have a spare here so thought to do it myself.

Thanks, my car needs a lot of work but slowly it is coming along. Cheers!! beerchug.gif
hcdmueller
I glued my mirror on with some aircraft grade epoxy that we have at work. I was on my way to get the car inspected for registration and the mirror fell off in my hand. I didn't think about removal at the time. When the time comes hopefully it will come off with heat because it isn't coming off any other way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.