Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F^&*^&*^ing exhaust head studs- Distributor ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JRust
Thank you! It looked wrong. I will fix it tommorow. Man I would be toast without you guys blink.gif
Katmanken
Hope that's not blue RTV... blink.gif

If it is, that's a plugged oil passage waiting to happen.....

Root_Werks
QUOTE(kwales @ May 7 2010, 08:54 AM) *

Hope that's not blue RTV... blink.gif

If it is, that's a plugged oil passage waiting to happen.....

I think Jamie sneezed was all.
JRust
Okay I am going to go adjust my valves for the first time. Pitiful I know. Doesn't look to hard but I don't see which valve is the intake & which is the exhaust confused24.gif Use my picture to know how it's sitting above. It doesn't specify that in my haynes. Or on the pelican tech article. I have previously just paid to have someone else do it sad.gif
sww914
The intakes are the 2 center valves. The exhaust are the 2 outer valves. You can see the intake valves through the intake ports in your photo.
bandjoey
This hasn't been talked about here but..someone in the know needs to chime in.

It's something that JRust might need to know before he get's too much further.

I've been told to get the right torque on the lifter bolts, each valve needs to be at (tdc, etc) a special place. Otherwise, you're torquing against an open valve and the lifters will be loose after that valve moves.

Is this right or wrong? confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Dr Evil
Look at which one leads to the exhaust and which leads to the intake and you will have it figured out. Dont stress so much. You are doing awesome and asking good questions.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 7 2010, 11:28 PM) *

This hasn't been talked about here but..someone in the know needs to chime in.

It's something that JRust might need to know before he get's too much further.

I've been told to get the right torque on the lifter bolts, each valve needs to be at (tdc, etc) a special place. Otherwise, you're torquing against an open valve and the lifters will be loose after that valve moves.

Is this right or wrong? confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif

As long as he follows the haynes manual, he will be fine.
JRust
Got it thanks. I do have my haynes manual not to mention Pelican great tech article on doing the valve job. Kind of strange the haynes manual just says to adjust the valves & how to do it. Yet doesn't tell you what teh valve clearance should be. Pelicans tech article spells it out nicely. Valve clearances are .15mm intake & .20mm exhaust. That sound right?

I have no problem asking questions. Sometimes they may seem a little dumb. I don't care as I just want to get it right. I'm getting excited to get it all back together.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ May 6 2010, 08:00 PM) *

Man I would be toast without you guys blink.gif

Thank God we are here then 'cause Toast is much better looking than you lol-2.gif
computers4kids
Jamie,
If you run short on time getting it all together hissyfit.gif , just get all the basics connected and bring up all your FI parts & your carb setup when you trailer your car and I'm sure there are plenty of people that would be more than glad to turn a wrench in Tahoe smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif . I am really looking forward to seeing your car.

On a side note...have you talked to people in the know what needs to be done to startup and break-in an aircooled motor. Not sure on our motors, but there are often additives needed for proper cam breakin, etc, etc.
Mark bye1.gif
DNHunt
Jamie

I've never seen where the piston has to be at TDC but, it can't hurt and the reasoning seems sound. Just be careful when you torque the nuts. The torque value is silly small. I can't remember it off hand but, it is easy to spin the studs.

Dave
JRust
Okay I got my valve's set fine. I put everything back together & have my tin back on. It's ready for the SS HE to be bolted back on (VERY CAREFULLY mad.gif ). I started putting my FI on. I had to pull the cylinder head temp sensor off my 73 as this one didn't have it. No problem although I had to pull the tin AGAIN. LOL

I did notice between going from one motor to the other. My LE motor has the distributor sitting 1/4 turn differently than my 73. I am sure it is wrong on my 74. My friend who rebuilt it for me apparantlt got it in wrong. I need to fix it but am not entirely sure how to do it without completely screwing things up dry.gif . Here are pics
70_914
QUOTE(JRust @ May 8 2010, 01:08 PM) *

Okay I got my valve's set fine. I put everything back together & have my tin back on. It's ready for the SS HE to be bolted back on (VERY CAREFULLY mad.gif ). I started putting my FI on. I had to pull the cylinder head temp sensor off my 73 as this one didn't have it. No problem although I had to pull the tin AGAIN. LOL

I did notice between going from one motor to the other. My LE motor has the distributor sitting 1/4 turn differently than my 73. I am sure it is wrong on my 74. My friend who rebuilt it for me apparantlt got it in wrong. I need to fix it but am not entirely sure how to do it without completely screwing things up dry.gif . Here are pics

Are your block and fan shroud painted or just that clean? Looks nice either way...
JRust
Yeah just painted with the rebuild. Only wish I had done the same when I did the tranny. It looks like $hit compared to the motor sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.