Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vented REAR rotors, do you have them, or plan to?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mueller
Trying to get an general idea of how many people are running vented rear rotors and what they are doing for an e-brake if anything at all.
jonwatts
I'm running solid 914-6 rear rotors. I will trade up only if / when I have the need. When that time comes who knows if I'd get the vented rotors or just go bonzo and get big reds / boxster brakes / whatever.

This assumes my credit card ever recovers from version 1.0 of the build.
airsix
Hi Mike,
I'm running vented rears with 'A' calipers and no e-brake. Been that way for a few years now and I'm pretty used to it. The only time I really miss having the ebrake is when I stop to get the mail and have to turn the engine off and put it in gear so the car doesn't roll away while I'm standing at the mailbox. The rest of the time I don't miss it because I don't exit the vehicle with the motor running (except somtimes at the mailbox). For piece of mind it would be nice to have an ebrake when I park on a hill or a steep driveway though. I'd like to put a spot caliper on the inboard side of the axle. I don't want to add any more unsprung weight - already got plenty of that. I've also contemplated putting the stock rear calipers back on, using the spacers out of the 'A' calipers - if they would fit. That would give me an e-brake and retain the vented rotors.

-Ben M.
davep
I use vented rotors with a stock 914/6 caliper that has been spaced (ie 914/6 GT style).
You could have included a caregory for vented and E-brakes.

DaveP
TimT
I have carrera brakes on my car, soo to be upgraded to 944T fronts and carrera rears...

no handbrake, and I dont need weight of all the e-brake compnents tongue.gif
nein14
Iam running 914/6 spaced rear calipers with vented rear rotors so I could keep my E-brake. cool.gif
echocanyons
SC rotors, 911 ebrake, boxster/996 monoblocks(rears)

I still dunno how I will get the ebrake cable to work (prolly splice and go)
seanery
Mike,
If I were gonna want one I would prefer the "spot" caliper. I think that would be the slick method.
ss6
Vented rears; I'm in the middle of a 911 e-brake install.

Thought about the outboard "spot" caliper solution, Patrick M/S had some kind of home-made rotor bolted to the tranny flange with a Wilwood trailer caliper, but I don't know how much engineering analysis actually went into it, and I don't want to find out the hard way.

The 911 p-brake setup was engineered by the factory for heavier cars than we drive, so I figure it's safe. Think it's possible to use the 914 p-brake cables on the 911 p-brake by fabbing a couple of adaptor "gizmo's". If I can get these working, I'll post...
jonwatts
Does anybody not running an emergency brake worry about the consequences in case of a brake failure or do you just consider it a parking brake?

I'm sure there is some superior German thinking about the E-brake placement on the 914 but one negative is not being able to yank on it when you're the passenger teaching someone how to drive MDB2.gif
Andyrew
Stock 914 rear calipers with a spacer. Vented, and ebrake.. Best of both worlds..

Andrew
TimT
Not having the e-brake in my car doesnt bother me in the least... then again my car is a race car...
airsix
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Apr 2 2004, 04:50 PM)
Does anybody not running an emergency brake worry about the consequences in case of a brake failure or do you just consider it a parking brake?

To me it's just a parking brake. If you loose your brakes at speed you can use the emergency brake located between the engine and transmission. The operating pedal is just to the left of the primary brake pedal. wink.gif

-Ben M.
Mueller
good question...

are they Emergancy brakes or Parking brakes?????
wacko.gif
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 2 2004, 05:34 PM)
good question...

wacko.gif

mine WAS the Emergency Brake last Monday when my brake pedal went to the floor
sad.gif

Left front braided line leaking fluid
Jeroen
I have a set of stock 914 rear calipers which are spaced to work with vented disks
But if you're working on something decent that would be able to mount bigger rear calipers and an easy parking- or e-brake, I'd be interested...

cheers,

Jeroen
TimT

I think they are parking brakes...

Many years ago I had the oppurtunity to need to use the e-brake... it slowed mne down but I still rear ended the car in front of me LOL

I think a well maintained brake system is pretty damn reliable....

well maintained meaning you actually check the pads hoses etc more than twice a year..
cork
Split 914-6, vented rotors, w/e-brakes
Joe Bob
Manfred has a set....
rich brennick
Stock 914-4 calipers w/ spacers, vented discs, and functioning parking brake.
Made my own spacers from aluminum w/ detents for the O-ring seals; no leaks after 4 seasons.
Rich
MartyYeoman
BMW 320i calipers in the front.
914 front calipers in the rear.
Stops on a dime with good pedal feel.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Apr 2 2004, 04:14 PM) *

SC rotors, 911 ebrake, boxster/996 monoblocks(rears)

I still dunno how I will get the ebrake cable to work (prolly splice and go)

Do a search here. A few guys have done the 911 drum style e-brake conv.

Comes out very nice and retains all the original cables.
retrofit
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Apr 2 2004, 06:40 PM) *

<!-- QuoteBegin-Mueller+Apr 2 2004, 05:34 PM --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 2 2004, 05:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> good question...

wacko.gif <!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->
sad.gif

Scott
Off topic-but I need to know who you used in Modesto to work on your 914.
I'm having electrical issues and so far none of the shops want to get into it.
Have talked to Tumazzi, Trubock, Eurotrends, and a couple of supposedly electrical only shops. Nada.
A top notch VW tech should be able to follow a wiring diagram, no?
Let me know if anybody comes to mind...
Allen (retrofit)
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 2 2004, 01:11 PM) *

I use vented rotors with a stock 914/6 caliper that has been spaced (ie 914/6 GT style).
You could have included a caregory for vented and E-brakes.

DaveP

Mike,

hope alls been well.. Regarding your inquiry.. I used to run the above..SC fronts and SC rears on 'spaced' out ones on the rear.. But over the years, I've gone to all big reds on all corners - via Race Techologies and no rear parking brakes.

I don't get a chance to drive it on the streets so no real need for the parking brake. - been tracking with NASA.
The other 'car' will be reregister and insured in a month. Going to drive the car...some of my friends- coworker are dropping off.. thus the need to enjoy the car. Last time I really took it out was when you had a chance to ride in it - 2005 ?sad.gif
familienauto
Don't forget the option:

"I have an e-brake, but it doesn't work because it needs adjusting."

Cheers!
Zach
markb
QUOTE(retrofit @ Jun 2 2008, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Apr 2 2004, 06:40 PM) *

<!-- QuoteBegin-Mueller+Apr 2 2004, 05:34 PM --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 2 2004, 05:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- QuoteEBegin --> good question...

wacko.gif <!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->
sad.gif

Scott
Off topic-but I need to know who you used in Modesto to work on your 914.
I'm having electrical issues and so far none of the shops want to get into it.
Have talked to Tumazzi, Trubock, Eurotrends, and a couple of supposedly electrical only shops. Nada.
A top notch VW tech should be able to follow a wiring diagram, no?
Let me know if anybody comes to mind...
Allen (retrofit)

Allen, what's the problem, or should I say, symptoms? PM me, maybe I can help.
jim912928
vented rotors with spaced out 914-4 rear brakes
type47
vented rotors with "A" calipers but only because i bought it that way. i have picked up a 911 e-brake system to install in future.
burton73
I screwed this up. I have fresh rear rebuilt 914-6 brakes with E’s vented rotor kit. I would like to know what the difference between a 914-6/GT Caliper that I CKed off.

Bob
race914
Project on the list is to add 911 calipers & vented rotors and 911 ebrake. won't go without an ebrake : )

Lost brakes at laguna once and that's enough!!!
Wilhelm
I didn't check any of the above options. I am using 944 Turbo rotors on 928 hubs with 928 internal parking brakes. I've made a new bearing housing of DOM steel and welded it to a 914 control arm which I removed the 914 bearing housings. Not only will I have bigger bearings, but the bearings are moved outward to compensate for my wheels which have marginal backspacing thus negating the need for 4" spacers. I will be posting pics of this project soon. What else are you going to do in Oregon when it rains 6 month of the year?
Eric_Shea
I screwed this up. I have fresh rear rebuilt 914-6 brakes with E’s vented rotor kit. I would like to know what the difference between a 914-6/GT Caliper that I CKed off.

You did fine. We installed the factory kit to yours. You now have 914-6/GT calipers. wink.gif
Eric_Shea
vented rotors with "A" calipers but only because i bought it that way. i have picked up a 911 e-brake system to install in future.

You keep confusing me. biggrin.gif

In one thread you said you had "front" M-Calipers. Now they're (front) A-Calipers. Show us some pics and I'll let you know what they are. I've never heard of A-Calipers on the rear of a 914. wink.gif
Gint
You guys do realize that this poll is 4 years old? And I'm just spitballin here, but I don't think Mike cares about the results anymore. smile.gif

Having said that, I just voted today! I don't really keep a brick in the car, but it's the closest/best poll choice!
morph
i wonder hows mike is doing these days idea.gif good i hope
james
nein14
I'm running 911 S calipers up front & 914-6 spaced calipers with 911 vented rotors stock E-brake.
Kargeek
[/Iam running 914/6 spaced rear calipers with vented rear rotors so I could keep my E-brake. ]

Me too!

John
I have SC calipers all the way around and use 911 E-brakes as well.

I found that the 911 SC parts are less expensive than the stock 914 parts and can be had right at the FLAPS down the street. The same goes for wheel bearings, CV joints, etc.......
craig downs
My car will have Boxster calipers front and rear. Getting ready to do the 911 e-brake conversion. I'm going to do the lever/rod method. I've noticed with this method you only use one of the spreaders but I think I came up with a way to be able to use both of them.
tat2dphreak
this is so long ago I can't remember what I put then... I may have still been driving my first 914 (RIP)

times have changed anyway, I'm doing 5-lug and before long I will add Eric's vented kit to the rear.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 17 2009, 01:28 PM) *

times have changed anyway, I'm doing 5-lug and before long I will add Eric's vented kit to the rear.

I'm doing Eric's 911 CV upgrade conversion, have everything but the $308. sway-a-way axles. I'll be doing the 914-6 vented.

I also wonder how Mike's been keeping.
I answered brick but it is actually a rubber wheel chock from off a dock....

I consider it a Parking Brake so I am not scared without it.
Pbrakes are a lot of fun in a FWD car tho!!

Oh, I'm running Vented rotors at all corners with A's up front and M's in the rear.

Wonder where Mueller went with his??

KP
Drums66
Cross drilled stock rotor's all around with E-brake?.......of course,
I want at least one chance to save my life!!!! lots of serious
confused24.gif WTF.gif .....Oh yes! no catagory, no vote shades.gif
SirAndy
Who keeps digging up these ancient threads? confused24.gif

I doubt Mueller even remembers what a 914 looks like ...
biggrin.gif Andy
underthetire
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 17 2009, 12:08 PM) *

Who keeps digging up these ancient threads? confused24.gif

I doubt Mueller even remembers what a 914 looks like ...
biggrin.gif Andy

agree.gif
But he saw my car a month ago, a little refresher 914 for him !
SECHSER
according to my certificate of authenticity, my euro spec 914-6 came with vented rear rotors. but that's not that i have now, so i'd like to look into bring it back at some point in the future.
Dr. Roger
None of the above.

I have stock 914-4 calipers with a spacer to allow 911 drilled vented rotors... and e brake.
jt914-6
On my orignal six I used Bremtek calipers with vented/drilled rotors. I put a "ball valve" on the rear brake line between the seats. To use the "parking brake" I would depress the brake pedal and turn the ball valve to hold pressure on the rear brakes. Of course, I would not use it after coming off the track at DE's. I'm using C2 Turbo calipers and Carrera slotted rotors on my current conversion and have not put a ball valve in this car......yet....

Click to view attachment
Steve
i am running Boxster brakes all the way around with 911 struts in front and early vented rotors in the rear. I am also running the early 911 E brake using modified 914 clutch cables. The E brake works great but its harder to pull than stock. I live in a very hilly area with lots of stop signs on the top of the hill. Nothing like trying to play footsy with the pedals to keep the car from rolling back with cars behind you. The 911 E brake was a must for me to solve this problem.
JJ914GT
These beautiful calipers are on my car now,with vented rotors. (the one in the front of the picture)Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.