Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MIKEZ - Change Your Avatar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
McMark
Pam, clap56.gif
John Kelly
There will always be folks who think naked breasts are more dangerous than a pistol. I'm not one of them. There are plenty of things that I find slightly offensive...mostly to do with violence, dismemberment..you know shit like that. I ignore most of what offends me...seems to work for the most part. For some reason most people accept that nudity is harmful...without a shred of proof.... People routinely protect their children from breasts while letting them enjoy cartoons, sports, and films with violence that is portayed in such a way as to show none of the real world consequences. They let advertisers bombard their children with crap everywhere they go, but that is not offensive apparently. In other words, in our society it appears it is acceptable to punch someone in the face, but if we are shown a breast we get in a tissy...pathetic. Politicians pander to the puritan ethic while ignoring disease, poverty, and torture.....real problems with real consequences. Why are we more worried about words, images, and symbols than real issues? Because it is easy, and requires little thought. That's enough from me. I could go on for hours...

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
415PB
Well said John. But I think the only one worried was the one sneaking onto the internet at work laugh.gif
jones
John agree.gif
A couple of months ago I was watching a program that showed an autopsy in detail and was very graphic. I thought it was very odd that the nipples of the corpse were pixled out however her skull cap was shown being removed and the entire chest cavity was shown being hacked open and exposed.
Strange what is and is not acceptable for we, the prime time cable watching public.
airsix
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 2 2004, 09:32 PM)
At 200lbs of firm sinewy muscle, little I'm not....

Oh dear, riggor has set in?

Hey Zois, this place wouldn't be the same without you and I enjoy your contributions - don't take my request to quell the nudity the wrong way. Oh, and I love the little praying angel avatar. That cracked me up - a truley Zois response to this thread. Thanks for being a good sport (for now). smile.gif

-Ben M.
Joe Bob
FINALLY....someone who gets it.....
jonwatts
I couldn't possibly have anything to add to this thread, so here I go.

You have to agree that it's about more than just the cars. Otherwise this place would be CSPAN boring and we'd only need one smiley, this one smile.gif We, as a group, have a personality which includes a fair amount of "in your face" attitude; and Zois is our poster child. In my humble he loves swinging his proboscis around in public a little too much. And I think I know why. I typed zois into Google's image search and this is the first thing that came up. Ladies and gentlemen I give you botanist baron Karl Zois.

IPB Image

If that were my legacy I'd probably do anything to change it too. Yeah, I know, he says he's greek, but Google doesn't lie. Besides I'm sure he doesn't really want us poking around his greek heritage either. (heehee, this is fun, I feel like Alfred). However, he's also a contributing member of our little world and when browsing the board you never know what you're going to get.

And as far as who "get's it", yeah Mike, a lot of us get it; but nobody likes drinking from a firehose. If it's more important for people to get it than it is for people to feel welcome here then please continue. I'd rather go to the West Coast Classic, an event that won't take place if some of our people check out.

There's more to you than boobies and prominently displayed index fingers. As I discovered today, there's a little boy inside you, dressed in lederhosen and holding a bouqet of flowers. Let us see more of this (HA!).

IPB Image

PS - the Google image search for watts didn't yield anything particularly interesting.
SpecialK
Oh, I got it...I just miss the other avatar (of course it did make difficult to move on to the next post! wub.gif ).

P.S. - Thanks for the 'attachment' mueba.gif
Rleog
Mike

Does she like beads...?
Joe Bob
You missed a couple Wattboy....there is a mineral, zoisite named after the Baron along with a grass, zoysia or is it zoisia....and a state of mind "zoism".....Slovenia where the Baron was from is just a hawk and crow flight from Greece.....

As to my heritage....well, mutt is more like it with a wierd last name....gramps was from Piraeus Greece outside of Athens....he married a redheaded acrobat that was Irish German, then Dada married a English Dutch gal, and I ended up with the French German Dutch gal and have three daughters.....they are blonde and blue....thank God the name ends with them.....

As to my sense of humor....sophomoric at best....gowing old is manadantory, growing UP is optional.....please don't take me serious...."I" don't.....
RAR
Here's a rule suggestion:
Photos/pic's of anything safe enough to place in a baby's mouth without harming the child, are okay.
Dr Evil
Censorship promotes de evolution in that it panders to the weak and lazy in our population.

Weak because it panders to the representative organizm with the thinest skin there by causeing the rest of the heard to slow down raising their potential for getting eaten by the lions.

Lazy because if everyone else sterilizes the world for you you dont have to teach your offspring about the real world. You are then more easliy able to fabricate your version of reality without so much work effort being involved.

Censorship is the weak organisms attempt at control over the strong organism. Its like escaping from jail while being chained to a 450# out of shape inmate. On our own we may have success, but with our 450# monkey on our back success is far less likely.

Feed them to the lions, THIN THE HEARD, break the chains. Your lazyness does not constitute change on my part.

For those of you whom take the initiative to not read that which may offend, and whom take the initiative to actively filter out that which you feel your children should not view I applaud you. You give hope to the genetic strength of our species, and our society as a whole. Keep up the good work.

(I think that is pretty damn fucken eloquent!)

-Mike
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(RAR @ Apr 4 2004, 07:39 AM)
Here's a rule suggestion:
Photos/pic's of anything safe enough to place in a baby's mouth without harming the child, are okay.

More nips, but no more 914's, then!

Rick
GWN7
Here's one that fits the bill....no loose parts and small enough to fit.... laugh.gif
jarbuthnot
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Apr 3 2004, 12:57 AM)
I have yet to hear a complaint from any of our lady members, ever.

Like I said in another thread, if it's in the toilet, I just flush it. As for avatars that move, somehow I've got the 'movement' turned off, which is fine by me. wink.gif
Rusty
Good for you, Joan. I encourage anyone who feels the need, please exercize your right to turn off avatars. It's a frill, like smilies (you can turn those off, too), and not seeing either doesn't detract from the 914 information here.

Not that complaints by men aren't taken seriously, but complaints by lady BBS members are a good barometer of what's happening.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Gint
I just read this thread for the first time from start to finish. I'm speechless. I should remain that way, but I probably won't. The last time I got involved in a board controversy, I made an ass out of myself.

Uh-oh. Now I'm lazy because I typed ass instead of asinine.

Both sides of this argument have made some excellent points. Some were profound, while others were downright hilarious.

My only comment would be this:

I think this thread exemplifies what this board is all about. And that's just the *I* like it. wub.gif
Trekkor
Hey! cool_shades.gif

Thanks to all for your comments, concerns, rips, cuts and sense of humor. laugh.gif

I'm sure that everyone is well aware that this thread has been viewed by near everyone. More interest than any other recent topic. ( the numbers don't lie )
Ah , the human element IS more important then the automotive.

I appreciate the fact that we're all individuals, with personalities, and we can bounce ideas around like nobody's business. boldblue.gif

Again, thanks to all. smilie_pokal.gif

The dirtiest word is RUST. headbang.gif

trekkor
blonde914
What was the avatar? Damn I always miss everything (Alfred). Mikes avatar today is his daughter's first Communion? (couldn't be any sweeter). I don't care what anybody's avatar is, frankly they are quite entertaining most of the time and since all I can do is post a picture I am pretty impressed with their abilititys to put these on.

I am never offended because I CHOOSE not to be!

You go Mike!!

Sherry driving-girl.gif
Joe Bob
Send me an email...you can get the animated version....

I find it wierd that a nice set of hooters gets panned, while a picture of a guy in lingerie porking the tail pipe of a Land Rover gets a pass....

As to the one post wonder who started this whole mess....well he can bite bite my 71mm crank shaft...."mandantory Porsche content"......
SpecialK
well he can bite bite my 71mm crank shaft
ohmy.gif

I always assumed with those big balls, you'd be at least a 78mm stroker laugh.gif
Don Wohlfarth
MikeZ you've got my vote! smilie_pokal.gif
You can turn the avatars off and that's not good enough?
For the people at work who complain about the avatars on this board...wait a minute, aren't you at work? How in the hell can you complain when you're doin' something that your boss probably doesn't want you doing?
This board is a slice of the community, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I like the way admin pretty much stays out of the way. If you're offended by what's on this board you've got more problems than anyone here can help you with.
TROJANMAN
the only thing offensive about mike's avatar is that i was offended that mike never asked permission from me to use a picture of my girlfriend. burnout.gif
need4speed
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Apr 2 2004, 06:51 PM)
. . .
Ben, I'm of the opinion that people have to accept how it is and choose their path.  People might post a naughty avatar.  If someone is troubled by this they have clear options.

1. Turn off all avatars and accept that you won't see them for anyone.
2. Leave avatars on and accept that other people might see them.
3. Ask the person to change their avatar, but accept that the naughty avatar might remain.

. . .

Another alternative:

Use the broswer "Firefox" (www.mozilla.org).

Right-click on the graphic. Select "Block images from this server" - the browser will not load images from THAT server anymore.
Brad Roberts
I love this topic.

Can we meet again about this in say 3 months or so ??

How I describe the club to people I meet:

A train wreck. EVERYONE stops to see the wreck.

B
Hawktel
I treat this site like my virtual garage.

In the end, Its not about the car. Anyone can own a 914. Its about the people that own the car. Jeroem trashed his tail dragger. No 914 content. but, it was important to him, and so it was important to me. Lawrence is in far off Iraq. Prolly not a teener for several thousand miles, but, its important to me. Bowlsbyfinds a mint Grasshopper in a barn in mexico, I like to know. Miles has a bad day building Banjo's for rednecks, I like to know. And yeah, Jenny finds a place for paint and body work, I like to know. Or Muller makes more bearings, or JP wins a AX, or Steve T discusses liberalism, or Quarl posts about His Bushyness. Its all stuff I like to know. It makes this board someplace I like to go.

I'm kinda suprized this isn't evident to everyone.
Bruce Allert
agree.gif you hit the nail on the head with that one...... very well put beerchug.gif

............b
Joe Bob
BTW....

Your avatar offends Gary.... bootyshake.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Don Wohlfarth @ Apr 5 2004, 06:53 AM)
wait a minute, aren't you at work? How in the hell can you complain when you're doin' something that your boss probably doesn't want you doing?

we don't know that ...

while it is OK for everyone in my company to browse the web during work hours co-workers still could be offended by content on my screen.
the problem is actually a legal one.
you can get in trouble fast these days, especially here in kalifornia.

Andy
Gint
Can we meet again about this in say 3 months or so ??

I don't think you have to even ask. I'm sure we'll do it again. It's not like this was the first time.
aircooledboy
As a new guy to the board, I feel compelled to to say the reason I AM a member is the wide range of things you find on this board.

I am an attorney, and have VERY little spare time to putz around on the net. When I do have a few minutes, I come here. Maybe I will read a great thread about valve adjustments, or maybe I will read a very funny thread about nominations for the "biggest asshole" to be awarded a cool hat. The idea that this board would be a better place or more respected if 98% of the members were to conform their behavior to the PC needs to the remaining 2% of the members is flat out silly. Particularly when those 2% have the ability to remedy the problem with a simple setting change that doesn't require change on the part of the remaining 98% of us.

I love this board for the same reason I like Tony Kornheiser's sports radio show on ESPN. I am a big sports fan, so I will hear the big sports stories of the day. But if that was all I wanted, I could listen to any one of the other 20 sports radio shows in the market. But Mr. Tony is just as likely to have a guest on to talk about movies or books, and that sets him apart from those other shows. The variety here is EXACTLY the same.

If you think this board would have increased acceptance if the PC police were allowed to rule, you are dead wrong. It would be one more source for vanilla conformity that would be of no interest to me or probably 75% of the members here. Its hard to see the up side that. I am very much reminded of the South Park episode 2 weeks ago dealing with the embarassing difference between the ways we react to nudity as oposed to violence in this country. If you missed it, it's worth the effort to find it if you can.
seanery
well said.

ok, I feel a sexy grandma avatar coming on! laugh.gif
aircooledboy
Thanks.

Oh by the way, I meant to add that as a man who is hung like a hamster, I am jealous, I mean offended by Seanery's avitar, and think it should be banned.
Jenny
It's not the size, it's how you use it. Never truer than in the case of Sean's avatar. laugh.gif

Jen
VegasRacer
Here is a nice 'Happy Easter' avatar if somebody want to use it.
415PB
Well said aircooledboy. See, lawyers do make sense once in awhile laugh.gif
Gint
ok, I feel a sexy grandma avatar coming on!

I'm beggin ya... if it's the grandma pic I'm thinkin you're talkin about, please don't post that thing. I wanna keep my dinner where it belongs. icon8.gif barf.gif
aircooledboy
QUOTE(415PB @ Apr 6 2004, 06:35 PM)
Well said aircooledboy. See, lawyers do make sense once in awhile  :lol:

Pleeeese don't tell my clients. Word gets out that I am capable of making sense, they will begin to expect it. wacko.gif Nothin' good can come from that.
tdgray
You're right Jen it's not the size that matters.

Its what you learn to do better than those hung-like-horse freeks of nature that counts stones.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.