Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remanufactured Case cracked
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearhead1432
I finaly got some time to clean up the engine after I pulled it a couple weeks ago. I was pretty disapointed to find this large crack. I'm mostly conserned about oil leaks right now. Would there be any preoblems with running an engine in this condition?

It's also one of the no numbered VWOA engines. What kind of reputation do these remanufactured engines have? I does run well, however I haven't done a leak down test on it yet.

Thanks,
Rob

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

MartyYeoman
Looks like your crack is in a non-essential area.
I'd think a more through inspection is in your future.
McMark
Just a persistent oil leak. And AFAIK, it's not a remanufactured engine, just a 'spare' sold separate from a car (essentially a replacement part).
Cap'n Krusty
I agree. The reman engines had a tag affixed to the case, at least the ones I've seen. They were rebuilt in Canada, and they were notorious in the day for spotty quality. I know of one that failed during breakin at our local VW dealer. Less than 15 minutes! The align bore wasn't parallel to the axis of the case and the cam gear went away. Other failures were pretty common, back in the day.

The Cap'n
hcdmueller
I just had the same thing. My case was damaged in shipping. It must have been thrown off a truck. I took mine to a guy and had it welded. I took some time with a file and some fine sand paper and the case halves mate up perfectly.
Jake Raby
This repair is not difficult. I have done it with the engine assembled in the past. The biggest challenge is cleaning the area of the crack completely free it from oil that can contaminate the welding process.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 6 2010, 04:01 PM) *

I agree. The reman engines had a tag affixed to the case, at least the ones I've seen. They were rebuilt in Canada, and they were notorious in the day for spotty quality. I know of one that failed during breakin at our local VW dealer. Less than 15 minutes! The align bore wasn't parallel to the axis of the case and the cam gear went away. Other failures were pretty common, back in the day.

The Cap'n

I toured the Downsview remanufacturing plant back in the '70's when I was in high school. They were building type 1 engines that day.
I remember seeing a 914/6 heat excanger on top of the scrap pile rolleyes.gif
realred914
ok, looks like the tab got hit smash.gif headbang.gif maybe when someone tried to split the case you can see what appears to be mushed metal on the far side of the tab hanging over the edge. Maybe the mushed metal from a hammer strike, and pop goes the tang, either immediatly or later maybe. confused24.gif

at this point, keep the piece togther there, make sure the nut is tite per specs. if not make it so, and hope it stays together until your ready for a rebuild and then you can weld it. welder.gif if the part stays together you should be ok enigne wise, I doubt it is a leak point that cant be sealed with some gasket glue, even if thru the case, as there is no oil passage there so little pressure and it is so high up.

this failure is most surely caused by some impact rather than engine use.

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.
A larger outer diameter washer woulld be a good idea to place there, so long as it is small enough to lay flat on the surface of the tab under the nut. by spreading out the force over a larger thicker washer, the broken tab is more likely to stay put. goobs of locktite would not be bad either.
Gearhead1432
Cool, so it's just a replacement case. I was under the impression the "VW" with circling arows mark was an indication of a remanufactured engine. When it comes time for a rebuild I plan on having the case welded.

-Rob
IronHillRestorations
That's a frequently broken off piece of the case. Some knothead probably tried lifting the engine/trans with that tab.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.