Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for guys with hood pins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Bellis
I see many 914 with hood pins. All have 4 pins. Why? 2 on the front of the hood next to the lights and 2 above the lights.

Any ideas? confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
I only have 2. I don't see the need for 4. I think that 2 is still more secure then the single latch.

That said, my car is not a race car.

Zach
jt914-6
I agree with Zach....I have two and think that's enough. My hood is steel and wouldn't flex as much as a fg.... The only reason for four would be if the whole lid comes off and has pins in four corners....or I could see six, two in *hinge* side, four in front around headlights as seen here.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 6 2010, 06:07 PM) *

Some of the FG hoods are a bit flimsy, so my guess would be that the corners above the buckets can catch air and bend up at speed ...

popcorn[1].gif Andy
jmill
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 6 2010, 09:27 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 6 2010, 06:07 PM) *

Some of the FG hoods are a bit flimsy, so my guess would be that the corners above the buckets can catch air and bend up at speed ...

popcorn[1].gif Andy

agree.gif I have a Getty FG hood. It fits great but flexes quite a bit. With only 2 pins close to the center the edges by the buckets can lift. At 100+ the wind would rip the hood off. FG shreds into pieces in the blink of an eye.
rekphiv
Didn't the factory GT cars use 4 instead of 2?
Elliot Cannon
I have Sheridan, (http://ultimate914.com) fiberglass hood and only two pins. Works fine at 125 mph.
campbellcj
I have the Getty GT type lid which as Andy says is extremely thin/flexible. You do not want air getting under it at 120mph ... bye-bye lid.

Accordingly, 4 pins, factory GT style:

IPB Image
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
My car has a steel hood. I put pins on as I modified my bumpers, and they can no longer be removed without opening the hood. Which means I would have been in a LOT of trouble had my release cable broken.

If you are running a steel hood, 2 is fine, but for FG or Carbon, I'd use 4.

Zach
ClayPerrine
Hood Pins.....

Nipple Rings for Cars!! lol-2.gif
pcar916
agree.gif Steel = two, fg = four

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

welder.gif

Have fun!
Cap'n Krusty
Best? Fifteen, of course, and they should be made of magnesium for weight savings.

The Cap'n
sean_v8_914
as previously stated. there are many variations to the FG hood. some FG hoods are like a potato chip, thin. the fg hood I have is medium thin with coromat core and teh structural factory style ribs underneath. the single skin type or that see thru sickness that Chris shows above should have 4 pins. the thick FG with the rib structure are OK with 2. some guys run a front cooler or radiator. if your front trunk is getting presurized by a foward air inlet then 4 should be used.
sean_v8_914
our hood flexes at speed. I feared that the stock latch, dependent of fore/aft alignment, would release and cost us a hood.
campbellcj
I concur - I used two of the captive pin types for years with the steel lid and had no worries at all.
McMark
agree.gif
It's all about flex and your willingness to accept risk. Four also allows a backup pair should one set fail. Personally, I'll extra pins before a risk damage to the body from a flying hood. Did you look at Chris's car, Mike?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(McMark @ May 7 2010, 10:42 AM) *

agree.gif
It's all about flex and your willingness to accept risk. Four also allows a backup pair should one set fail. Personally, I'll extra pins before a risk damage to the body from a flying hood. Did you look at Chris's car, Mike?

Since I can see through Chris's hood. I think if it came loose it would be in a billion pieces. I don't have a FG hood and I sold my FG trunk lid. I think I'm OK with just two. Main reason is the PO cut all structure below the latch( for air flow to radiator). The front gasket and latch area is lifting because there is nothing to hold it to the bottom of the car. The hood lifts from the gasket pushing back at it. With pins, it will hold the hood down flust with the headlight buckets.
Katmanken
Dear Mike,

I use as many pens as it takes.

Depending on the car, some hoods may require more or less pens.

McMark
I think if it came loose it would be in a billion pieces

Unfortunately it didn't and it did some serious metal bending in the cowl seam area. With a steel hood, you're probably fine with two. Get quality clips. They can fail. I've seen a lot of damage from flying hoods, and I've seen hood fly up on the freeway.
campbellcj
I care a lot less about hood/body damage than I do about crashing at 125mph because I can't see past the hood blocking my windshield huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.