Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear caliper RIBE fasteners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
woodgeek
Do all 914 rear calipers use the funky RIBE fasteners? I'm spending this coming weekend working on my 1975 1.8 and I'm trying to gather up / order all of the tools and supplies I'll need.

My 914 runs but idles rough and the brakes are frozen. So, I've ordered / rounded up the following:
  • vacuum hoses
  • vacuum / pressure gauge
  • f/r brake lines
  • brake pressure bleeder / speed bleed nipples
  • intake manifold sleeves (the four short ones)
  • a dwell meter
  • rebuilt front calipers
  • rebuild kit for the rear calipers
  • injector seals
  • triple-square bits
  • lots of printed how-to's from Pelican & 914 World
  • etc, etc, etc
This weekend I plan on getting the timing sorted out, resolving my vacuum leaks, valve adjustment, install front calipers, rebuild the rear calipers, bleed the brakes, figure out why the alternator light is on AND take my teener out for a nice long drive (with a toolbag and cell phone stashed in the trunk). laugh.gif

The only thing I'm uncertain about are the RIBE fasteners on the rear calipers. I've read that the RIBE fasteners are used on the early 914's -- are they only on the early ones? Mine is a '75; will it have those fasteners? The reason I'm asking is the car is 200 miles away so I can't walk out and check. biggrin.gif I'm bringing my torx bits and a propane torch just in case. I've heard that using the torx bits on ribe fasteners can be hit or miss.

thanks,
dave
dr914@autoatlanta.com
No they combined regular hex and those randomly.

QUOTE(woodgeek @ May 12 2010, 06:43 AM) *

Do all 914 rear calipers use the funky RIBE fasteners? I'm spending this coming weekend working on my 1975 1.8 and I'm trying to gather up / order all of the tools and supplies I'll need.

My 914 runs but idles rough and the brakes are frozen. So, I've ordered / rounded up the following:
  • vacuum hoses
  • vacuum / pressure gauge
  • f/r brake lines
  • brake pressure bleeder / speed bleed nipples
  • intake manifold sleeves (the four short ones)
  • a dwell meter
  • rebuilt front calipers
  • rebuild kit for the rear calipers
  • injector seals
  • triple-square bits
  • lots of printed how-to's from Pelican & 914 World
  • etc, etc, etc
This weekend I plan on getting the timing sorted out, resolving my vacuum leaks, valve adjustment, install front calipers, rebuild the rear calipers, bleed the brakes, figure out why the alternator light is on AND take my teener out for a nice long drive (with a toolbag and cell phone stashed in the trunk). laugh.gif

The only thing I'm uncertain about are the RIBE fasteners on the rear calipers. I've read that the RIBE fasteners are used on the early 914's -- are they only on the early ones? Mine is a '75; will it have those fasteners? The reason I'm asking is the car is 200 miles away so I can't walk out and check. biggrin.gif I'm bringing my torx bits and a propane torch just in case. I've heard that using the torx bits on ribe fasteners can be hit or miss.

thanks,
dave

Eric_Shea
they combined regular hex and those randomly
huh.gif blink.gif

Yours have the standard 11mm hex. They are made by both Ribe and Verbus but, you won't have the proprietary head design to deal with. I believe the 45mm are Verbus and your 50mm are Ribe.

That said, someone may have retrofitted an older caliper on the car... I've seen it all (almost). That being the case...

Torx "can" work but in limited capacity. Do not try to tension with a torx. Only use them to hold the fastener head in place and, do all you can to minimize the force put on them (torch, penetrating oil, preload, etc.)

welcome.png
woodgeek
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 12 2010, 11:20 AM) *

they combined regular hex and those randomly
huh.gif blink.gif

Yours have the standard 11mm hex. They are made by both Ribe and Verbus but, you won't have the proprietary head design to deal with. I believe the 45mm are Verbus and your 50mm are Ribe.

That said, someone may have retrofitted an older caliper on the car... I've seen it all (almost). That being the case...

Torx "can" work but in limited capacity. Do not try to tension with a torx. Only use them to hold the fastener head in place and, do all you can to minimize the force put on them (torch, penetrating oil, preload, etc.)

welcome.png

Thanks guys and thanks for the welcome! biggrin.gif

I'll take some pics this weekend.
type47
Any particular reason you are going to separate the rear calipers? I read it might create problems....
woodgeek
QUOTE(type47 @ May 12 2010, 12:29 PM) *

Any particular reason you are going to separate the rear calipers? I read it might create problems....

Well, I want to clean them thoroughly, I'm a glutton for punishment and I love to take things apart. The calipers are over 30 years old so they probably need a good going over. I've read just about every 914 brake rebuild article on the web so I've got a pretty good idea what to expect.

I'm just not sure how many quarts of brake fluid to buy before I start this project. blink.gif
sean_v8_914
what problems are created from caliper separation?
Eric_Shea
Legal problems, which is how the Internet myth got started.
sean_v8_914
every time I see Eric post I wonder: why am i still building calipers? I think I am really done with it. assembly and disassembly are easy. proper caliper cleaning is a pain in teh arse....
OK, I went and looked. $125 is chump change for the amount of work it takes. I have built my last 914 rear caliper.
sean_v8_914
Im gonna go weld something now
Eric_Shea
You send me all your calipers... I'll send you all my welding. I weld like a 3 year old on acid.
sean_v8_914
deal! i'de rather dodge slag for 2 hours than scub a single caliper. Is that you in Tahoe building calipers in teh photo?
Eric_Shea
Is that you in Tahoe building calipers in teh photo?

Is it a really handsome guy? Yes! biggrin.gif
woodgeek
Thanks for the tips guys. Had a great weekend working on the 914. Didn't get a lot done but I did post pics and started a blog. Check out my sig line if you're interested. Have a good one!

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.