Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's time to say "Thank You"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
76-914
I think it is safe to say that 90% of us would not have a running 914 without a helping hand. There is that "one" person who made a difference, whether it be on line or in your garage. Day in and day out these people share their passion and knowledge for 914's, with us. Not to mention parts. This isn't a popularity contest but rather a chance to say thanks and acknowledge those who have helped us to enjoy our 914's. No polls. Just acknowledgements. So if you owe someone or somebody a BIG thank you, now is the time to do it. For me it was Ron Meier aka Slits. Thanks Ron.
VegasRacer

Carl Young beerchug.gif
PeeGreen 914
Well, I owe it to Tim Kornacki. He worked in the bay next to me and told me about this thing called autocross huh.gif He asked me if I was interested in codriving with him piratenanner.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif

markb
Cap'n Krusty. How he keeps all that knowledge in his head without it exploding is beyond me. smile.gif
ConeDodger
I have a couple actually, to Mark Debernardi (McMark) for your ability to see things I can't even imagine when it comes to solutions to my 914 problems, for your answers to my constant and clueless questions, and for the good friend you have become - thank you.

To Jim Dupree (jcd914), for the use of your precious engine which is a testement to the legacy of Dwight Mitchell though he is not gone - just retired, for always having a part I need, and always being willing to give it up and for being a good friend and neighbor - thank you.

To Ron Kain (IPB Autosport) for the free advice and good humor and the generous discount on parts. But especially for telling me I don't need to pay you 'cause I have the ability to do it myself. That gives me the push to try and to learn. Thank you...
Drums66
I'd have to say Muersault, who is on this board(does.nt post much)his father(mr. nikasil)and Brian Pauter of pauter mach. I thank them every chance I get! smilie_pokal.gif bye1.gif

P.S. vegasRacer, that 904 makes my heart flutter! wub.gif
ericread
To me it's obvious - everybody that participates on the "World" and "Club" sites. I was totally clueless when I first purchased my 914 three years ago. It only runs today as a result of all of these people helping me.

THANKS!!! beerchug.gif

Eric Read
SirAndy
QUOTE(markb @ May 12 2010, 11:29 AM) *

How he keeps all that knowledge in his head without it exploding is beyond me.

It's in his hat!

biggrin.gif Andy
TheCabinetmaker
I've had a 914 since 73. My mentor is Me. I've learned most of it the hard way. No internet available back then.
effutuo101
This web site!
Rich D. (no picture) for all of the parts and learning experiance of working on his LE.
Dan Root for inspiration on hard tops on a 914.

Most of all this mad man of all things Porsche. Master of motor, welding and conceptualizing what I wanted to do with my car(s) Jeff H.
The PNW would have more cars on jackstands if it were not for you.

Ferg
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ May 12 2010, 11:14 AM) *

This web site!
Rich D. (no picture) for all of the parts and learning experiance of working on his LE.

Most of all this mad man of all things Porsche. Master of motor, welding and conceptualizing what I wanted to do with my car(s) Jeff H.

That's the same grin he was wearing at RRC, what were you guys drinking beerchug.gif

For me it would be Brant and Gint pray.gif
jimkelly
got to give a big thank you to my man rod : )

thanks to him i now know the difference between tranny and a transaxle : )

that would have been good info to have when i was a teenager : ((

plas76targa
Dr Evil. He's helped out more in the last four years than either of us would care to count.
[edited later] Thanks Mike for all the fun and laughs too!
Root_Werks
I'd say in my early 914 days it was local shop owner Chris Powell. He really put up with me hanging out at his shop, picking his brain etc. Really nice guy, haven't even seen him in 12 or so years?

About 12 years ago (imagine that) I met Mr. Hines (sixnotfour) who took my 914-nutty-ness to a whole new level. Now 20+ years later, I'm a deranged 914 wack-job.

Thank you Chris.

Thank you Jeff.

I think?

huh.gif
av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 12 2010, 11:19 AM) *

got to give a big thank you to my man rod : )

thanks to him i now know the difference between tranny and a transaxle : )

that would have been good info to have when i was a teenager : ((

Jim,
I can understand you wanting to thank your "man rod" as my own has given me years of pleasure and I hope - many years more... But if you don't know the difference between a tranny and a transaxle - take my advice - Stay Out of San Francisco!!! poke.gif happy11.gif lol-2.gif
MDG
My brother, Paul. Got his first 914 in '74 when he was 19 and I was 12. Owns and operates a restoration shop up here and is currently 'helping' me complete the flares, bodywork and paint on my '76 car.

Couldn't do it without him.
Eric_Shea
JKH - Don't get any better than that guy.

But... there's Slits, Cap'n, and countless others.
effutuo101
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 12 2010, 12:19 PM) *

This web site!

That's the same grin he was wearing at RRC, what were you guys drinking beerchug.gif

LOL! Yes, the Colorado 914 team was a constant sorce of learning. And money spending. My wife thanks you Ferg for letting her ride in your /6. From there on, it was "oh, Fergs car does this, and Fergs car does that. you should build a /6" biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ May 12 2010, 12:55 PM) *

This web site!

LOL! Yes, the Colorado 914 team was a constant sorce of learning. And money spending. My wife thanks you Ferg for letting her ride in your /6. From there on, it was "oh, Fergs car does this, and Fergs car does that. you should build a /6" biggrin.gif

Though Tim is the one who got me started Jeff is the one who keeps feeding the need lol-2.gif huh.gif . I'd be lost without all the awesome guys we have here in the NW. aktion035.gif
jcambo7
My brother in law Jon Bovey (Pheonix914-6GT) He got me hooked on 914's when he started dating my sister. drunk.gif Everyone else on World that has answered my stupid questions. biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
where do I start?
non-internet is Wes, Clay, Mike Floyd and my buddy Glen...

internet:
Clay, Eric Shea, Jake, Mark Henry, McMArk... and just about everyone else who's ever asked or answered a question...

so really, the internet side deserves one very big thanks to Andy, and the admin crew that has made this site more than just a few dudes chatting about an old car... smilie_pokal.gif
Cevan
I'd have to thank Ed (ejm). He helped me get my first 914 started and allowed me to drive that rust bucket on my long driveway at night with nothing more than a headlamp (the kind you wear on your head). That's when the bug bit me. Oh, and for giving me a ride in his turbo charged 914 (even though they don't exist, really).

I also second Rob's sentiment to all those that have answered my numerous questions on the forum here.

Also a shout out to Jake Raby for spending time on the phone with me answering questions on a few occasions.
ME733
..I think ...GEORGE HUSSEY....at Automoble Atlanta...deserves multiple pats on the back for being a good guy, very helpful, and providing an immense amount of information to the 914 community.....Thanks george, for all you do, and all your help.
Drums66
QUOTE(ME733 @ May 12 2010, 02:48 PM) *

..I think ...GEORGE HUSSEY....at Automoble Atlanta...deserves multiple pats on the back for being a good guy, very helpful, and providing an immense amount of information to the 914 community.....Thanks george, for all you do, and all your help.

I agree.....thankyou George!
GaroldShaffer
For me it has been Brad Mayuer & Michael. Two of the best guys you ever want to meet!

URY914
No one has said BR yet.....
SLITS
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 12 2010, 03:30 PM) *

No one has said BR yet.....

Hmmmmmmmmm ...... no comment!
Tom_T
agree.gif
.... with many of the above whom I know, have met, talked to on the phone, PM'ed, emailed, etc.

I'll answer in 2 parts - one for back in the day of the 1970's when I got mine,
& the other today's "modern times", when I'm trying to resurrect her from the dead of 25 years of neglect sitting in my garage!

Old Days:

1 - It would be my old neighbor Rick from the "Teens Streets" in Huntington Beach (13th - 19th streets, not Teeners - I see his face & Signal Orange 71 914 in my mind clearly now), who first got me hooked on a 914 & referred me to Hans. Rick also clearly & regularly demonstrated the advantages of a single guy in a beach town with a Porsche 914 naughty.gif - what a tool! biggrin.gif

2 - Hans A. at Hans Imports in Huntington Beach CA, & his guys Brice, Carl & Herbert who always took care of my 914's problems for a decade of DD service 12/75 - 5/85. Hans also put up with my year long search for the perfect deal on a used 914 back in 1975, looking at dozens of candidates - rejecting most, & finally STRONGLY recommending that I get the early-73 914-2.0 which I still have today - even if it was $1000 more than my original budget of $3500! thumb3d.gif

3 - To my fellow 914 Buds & Sports Car enthusiasts from back then with whom we did fun stuff - Rick (71 914/4 above), Jerry (still OO of 61k mi 71 Bahia/Blk 914/4 shown here on 914world), Robbie (72 914 Metallic Rose/Blk), Mike (60 Bugeye Sprite), Randy (68 Spitfire) & a few others ("Crazy Eights," etc.). shades.gif

Mike, Randy & I started the semi-annual tradition of the long weekend "sports car rally" up Coast Hwy. 1 from San Diego to San Francisco ~ including the "double the speed limit on curves challenge" on PCH 1 from Morro Bay to Santa Cruz/Moss Landing; which Jerry & Robbie in later years joined! w00t.gif
driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif & driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Add to that our various beach, ski, bike, camping & other escapades in our respective sports cars (passengers allowed only when necessary or a GF/mate/SO/wife naughty.gif )! biggrin.gif

Today:

1 - To all of the experts here on 914world, 914club, ClubNARP & all of the other online resources whicy you younger folks just don't realize how lucky you are to have via the web today ~ although it sounds like many do! smile.gif

That would include all of you out there, as well as folks like SirAndy who set up this & the other site & maintains it today, Jeff Bowlsby, George Hussey, Pat Garvey, Paul/Nuen Vierzuen, Mark/Mikey914, Mark Heard, Murry/me733, "Sahara Beige" Steve G./smg, Dan/Proto, RobW, McMark, Hans L., the guy who set up p914.com (great info), the G & R folks & Glenn & Ron for putting those on, those of you who put on WCR & the other regional 914 events - to which I'll make when my 914 is up & running again, if not before dry.gif ), & SoCalAndy (who offered to teach me to weld welder.gif at the last G&R to help me resolve my rest-bucket resto issues hopefully within my budget), & many others who just don't all come to mind now (due to my oft mentioned "half-zymers" blink.gif )! smilie_pokal.gif

Thanx to you ALL! rolleyes.gif ^ Cheers!!!! beerchug.gif
Tom T shades.gif
early-73 "914S" - 914-2.0
~ 2nd owner since Dec. 75, & much of that on blocks since 5/85! dry.gif
Orange CA
///////
lotus_65
besides this site, and everyone who has chipped in and/or lectured me??

iamchappy

rick 918-s

Dave-O

wbergtho (dormant)

they've all forgotten waaaayyyy more than i'll ever know.
jmill
I'd have to say Rick Ollah. Who drives 6 hrs South, then sneeks out on a pretty woman alone in a hotel room to help a guy out? screwy.gif

RJMII
Rick 918-S; Majkos; Eric Shea; Dr Evil....

In 99 Rick and his alien car were what inspired me to make sure and come back after I sold my first 914 to some dude in CO that I had a nice chat with whe he picked it up... (in 2000?)

Then when I came back I discovered PMB and Dr Evil. biggrin.gif

I flew out to Dr Evil's for a little under a week to learn the transmission rebuild info specific for our cars, so hopefully I can take over and do as good of a job as he has done when he goes into residency.

Eric just deserves a thank you. I can't say why; but he deserves the thank you.

And I should definitely toss out a thank you to Jamie Rust. His harrassment and friendship... and his 914-8 that needed an emblem.

Those are just a few of the 'thank yous'; but my dad is my real mentor. smile.gif Nothing like growing up with access to any and every tool I need, and then having someone with the knowledge and willingness to teach me how to use them. He's not on the board, though.
Tom
I have to say Craig at Camp 914 was my inspiration. How can you visit his web page without wanting one? He sold me a very solid car when I had ( at the time) no idea how bad these cars be be rust wise. I am afraid if I had gotten a rust bucket, I would have sold it and never gotten another one.
And all of the great guys here in the PNW and all of the guys here on this club site.
Thanks Craig and everyone on this site!
Tom
r_towle
Tom Tate.
He got me so hooked I have a barn full of aircooled porsches....they look nice next to the VW's

RIch
oldschool
I have to say this dude....he still works on my ride shades.gif Click to view attachment
Ferg
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ May 12 2010, 11:55 AM) *

This web site!

I used to get that a bunch just ask Wills biggrin.gif now who wants a ride in the 911 shades.gif
jimtab
Well, I have to say an old classmate of mine in Milpitas, John Williamson,better known to most of you as "Otto" from Venice Beach, and his dad who introduced me to the P cars in HS. I think his dad had one of the first 911s in the state, and maybe in the USA, also going to AutoX in the late 60s and early 70s and seeing a guy named Rich Bontempi in a4banger 914 cleaning the clock of a whole bunch of bigger $$$ cars was an eye opener, and on my current car, no one has helped more than Dr. Evil himself, thanks Doc. And all you knotheads, most who have been mentioned already for leading me astray on multiple occasions.......it keeps me interested. pray.gif
jgara962
Mark De Bernardi (McMark) at Original Customs has helped me out countless times whether it has been doing work for me when I don't have the time or skills, to answering questions when I do try do work on the car myself.

Thanks Mark!

beerchug.gif
messix
dan root got me infected..... and knows just about every thing about 914's [he's owned how many?]

chris bent me to to the chrome bumper side

jeff and i talk equally about 4x4 stuff and 914's

rich has been a great insparation and source for parts

jon has blessed me with hand me downs.

and dino taught me drunken parking lot yoga
mstein95
I'd like to thank Dave Hunt (DNHUNT). I was mulling over rebuilding my engine, a first for me, and he let me come over to observe and assist in his (I think 3rd of many future engine rebuilds). Dave was very helpful and supportive and answered all my questions which helped chase off all the demons I had. With the confidence of working with Dave I set off to rebuild my first engine.

With 6,000 miles on my rebuilt 2.0L and, after this weekend, 2 WCR's I can easily claim that Dave had a big part in my success.

Thanks Dave beerchug.gif

ClayPerrine
I started with 914s before there was an internet, so I have to say four people.

1. Rich Johnson. (a914guy). He lurks here, and was the source of much knowledge.

2. George Hussy at AutoAtlanta. His catalog, and very occasionally, his answers over the phone were always top notch.

3. Al Zim. He has been a friend, a mentor, and a good guy to hang out with.

4. Wes Hildreth. Sitting with him and Rich is always a brainstorming session.

The rest was learning by trial and error....lots and lots of error. biggrin.gif
tod914
Certianly to all whom have responded to my posts when I was newb and learning about these cars. The person that sticks out in my mind is Brad. Couldn't figure out for the life of me what was going on with my 75 2.0. He took the the time out of his busy day and called me up to trouble shoot the car. Walked me through all the basics, and through alot of trial an error, helped resolved the problem. Also wanted to add George & the Krusty one in there amoungst many others. Thanks again everyone for your help over the years, and especially to the admins and site owners.
Tom_T
Ooops - also forgot earlier to add Mike & Barry for the "donation" of #501 the Red (ex-) Racer & other misc. parts to my efforts to resurrect my 73 2L! beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

shades.gif
corsepervita
Porsche Rescue - Jim

He's been very helpful with the 914 I purchased from him. I've been insanely happy with the car, and he's never hesitated to answer any of my dumb or not so dumb questions and point me in the right direction. He is an awesome guy.
Bleyseng
For me it was David Said as he helped me with knowledge and parts to get my sorry ass car running and finally AXing. He has been dead for several years now but his other friends still are active in the PNW.

His red 914 was a terror on the AX track.
URY914
I think it was Peter Gregg when I saw him at the 1972 12 Hours of Sebring in his 914-6.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I'd have to thank the core group of guys that started this forum. I probably would have sold my car long ago if I didn't start posting on here. I would have missed out meeting all the friends I have made across the country. I have received help and parts from many of you. How do you name one and miss another. If I had to name one it would have to be Howard. He was a great friend for a short time. I miss him like a brother. Thanks for all you all do everyday to be 914 guys and girls. I hope to see you all soon.
VaccaRabite
This is a tough question.

As far as inspiration, I'd site 2 sources - neither of which are online anymore.

Jim Burrill for getting me involved and letting me play with and drive his armored cars back around 2001. Working with him gave me the confidence that I could actually do this kinda stuff.

914 inspiration came from CptTripps (Doug Hardman) and his build thread. I started reading it in Oct of 2005 when I started taking my car apart, and when I got frustrated, that is where I would home back to.

As far as a mentor - would have to be Mike. I've learned a ton from him, and already miss that he is not hanging out in my garage any more to work on his bus.

Finally, Club and World. I may have never finished the car if it were not for the resources there. And I certainly would not have met some f the folks that I now hang out with regularly - even when we are not doing car stuff.

Zach
iamchappy
Rick Ollah, i was abducted...
Paul Lotus 65, because he helps me remember the things i forgot.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 13 2010, 04:01 AM) *

For me it was David Said as he helped me with knowledge and parts to get my sorry ass car running and finally AXing. He has been dead for several years now but his other friends still are active in the PNW.

His red 914 was a terror on the AX track.

agree.gif Dave is the original owner of Triad West. His friends have carried his legacy and still new PNW teeners learn about the man. He had just passed when I was getting into 914s but Tim made sure I knew who he was.
black73
I want to thank Al Gore for inventing the internets..... and all of you for using his invention. grouphug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.