Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what you got for guts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rsrguy3
Is there a list of alternative internals(non-vw) for our rebuilds that would make our re-builds cheaper and stronger, Example... Chevy rods. Consider this a tips and tricks thread, as well. Also, I don't have good experiences w/the forum search, so please place as many links as you can dig up, here. biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
I got 2 squirrles, a penguin and a raoch stuffed in there. You should hear that motor scream...
DanT
KB 96mm Hyperutectic Aluminum pistons, stock Mahle cylinders machined to 96mms and Raby 9550 cam...the rest was stock and worked well together biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
agree.gif

I used the same pistons and cylinders for my 2056.

I am also using ceramic lifters instead of steel (NLA, but great if you can find them).

My engine is carbed, so I have more choice in dizzys. I am using a Mallory Unilite, and a Bosch Blue coil.

Zach
blitZ
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 12 2010, 11:30 PM) *

I got 2 squirrles, a penguin and a raoch stuffed in there. You should hear that motor scream...

You can't penguin a 914...

I have the same setup as DanT, works like a charm.
warrenoliver
QUOTE(DanT @ May 12 2010, 11:37 PM) *

KB 96mm Hyperutectic Aluminum pistons, stock Mahle cylinders machined to 96mms and Raby 9550 cam...the rest was stock and worked well together biggrin.gif

Dan,

Did you dyno your engine after these improvements? I am wondering what kind of HP increase I can expect if I go this route with my 2.0.

I am not ready to go all in on a Raby 2270 but I sure would like to drooley.gif - I just can't afford it right now. What kind of HP increase over stock 73, 2.0, with FI, could I expect with new pistons/cylinders and a Raby cam?

Anyone have any idea on cost for this type of "improvement"?

Warrenoliver
McMark
2056 motor are a blast compared to any stock motor.
Cevan
My 2056 consists of Kieth Black pistons, AA cylinders, Hastings rings, Raby 9050 cam and valvetrain, 1.7 rockers with swivel adjusters, 2.0 heads, Manton pushrods, stock crank, H-beam connecting rods.

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Those are some nice engines!

With regards to HP, 95 to 115, or 95 to 125, especially with some suspension improvements and weight reduction makes a big difference...

rsrguy3
So, which Chevy rods are used? And what about the Buick crank? Loving the pics guys keep it up.
TROJANMAN
The most popular conversions are :
Porsche 6's, Chevy 8's, Suby 4's

Here's my 2.7

IPB Image

More Pics of Conversion
xperu
QUOTE(Cevan @ May 13 2010, 10:53 AM) *

My 2056 consists of Kieth Black pistons, AA cylinders, Hastings rings, Raby 9050 cam and valvetrain, 1.7 rockers with swivel adjusters, 2.0 heads, Manton pushrods, stock crank, H-beam connecting rods.

Click to view attachment

Hey george, what type and model are you using for that nice power plant? Mike
70_914
A lot of performance VW's use SBC valve springs after a lot of machine shop time, but all the other parts are specific for the engine. There are a lot of counterweighted cranks machined for SBC rod journals, but not SBC rods.
tat2dphreak
2056 motor are a blast compared to any stock motor.

agree.gif

9.5:1 CR + 10# flywheel=hang on smile.gif

I am running AA piston cylinders, webcam 163, dual spring valves, stock 2.0 crank and rods, 911 adjusters.

you would not believe what shaving 7 lbs off the flywheel does...
rsrguy3

Just for clarity..... I'm talking about the type 4 motor and it's internals.

rsrguy3
QUOTE(70_914 @ May 13 2010, 09:08 AM) *

A lot of performance VW's use SBC valve springs after a lot of machine shop time, but all the other parts are specific for the engine. There are a lot of counterweighted cranks machined for SBC rod journals, but not SBC rods.

So, your saying no Chev con's, just journals? The reasoning behind this? How about the Buick crank? Is there a con rod made for a different motor, like a v8 motor that dimensionally similar/stroke (you know get 8 for 4)? dry.gif
azbill
I am running a 2056 with Keith Black pistons, Len Hoffman heads, Raby cam, stock crank and rods, Jennvey 45mm throttle bodies, Emerald M3D FI management, SS heat exchangers and Triad exhaust. The set-up dynoed 150hp at the wheels. Its great.

Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.