Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radio
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mk114
Ok guys,

Anybody know which wire is switched, I need power for radio.

Ps picked up a sweet 71 for 4000 with no rust and original paint

pics to follow
McMark
Fuse 9. Don't cut a factory wire. Get a piggyback spade connector and pull down the fuse panel to connect to the back of the fuse.
tod914
I seen them spliced into the thick red ignition wire behind the fuze box. Maybe a direct wire to the battery would be better so you don't fry your points when it's not running?
mk114
Thanks I always run a Piggy back too.
Cap'n Krusty
Do you own a test light? I don't mean to be rude (well, OK, I do, but I had to say that!), but some things are just too easy to do ..................... Doing electrical work without a test light is like nailing boards together without a hammer.

The Cap'n
KELTY360
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 13 2010, 10:05 AM) *

Do you own a test light? I don't mean to be rude (well, OK, I do, but I had to say that!), but some things are just too easy to do ..................... Doing electrical work without a test light is like nailing boards together without a hammer.

The Cap'n

Like this? headbang.gif
jt914-6
It depends on your radio. You may need a "hot" wire for station presets and clock and one for off/on switched wire....
bandjoey
Don't remember the fuse # but it's obvious when looking at the connectors on the fuse panel. Pick the hot side for the radio memory and the fused side for ign on power. Of course be sure there's an online fuse on the memory wire. There were empty extra spades on my fuse panel.
mk114

The Cap'n

Yes I have one, I am at work, was hoping to hook it up at work, Light is at home.
underthetire

The Cap'n

lol-2.gif

I use a nail gun then. I have a fluke scope and several multimeters.
mk114
biggrin.gif
QUOTE(underthetire @ May 13 2010, 12:05 PM) *

The Cap'n

lol-2.gif

I use a nail gun then. I have a fluke scope and several multimeters.

detoxcowboy

The Cap'n

Test lights? Just use your tongue will someone else turns the key.. blink.gif
benalishhero
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 13 2010, 01:05 PM) *

The Cap'n

The two perfect humans to have walked the earth: Jesus Christ and the Cap'n.
detoxcowboy
drunk.gif Seriously though I understand you want to do this at work so you can have the radio on the drive home.. The easy test is to with key off try your lighter, if it does not work then it is on the switched circuit or broken.. look at your fuse box for the lighter symbol, wahlla done..
underthetire
QUOTE(benalishhero @ May 13 2010, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 13 2010, 01:05 PM) *

The Cap'n

The two perfect humans to have walked the earth: Jesus Christ and the Cap'n.

No chuck Norris and the Captn

Wait, is the Captn really chuck Norris? idea.gif
Jeffs9146
The cig lighter is the switched way to go and any constant hot from the fuse box! Use a spade jumper off of the back of the box from a constant hot! If you are running something with lots of power you need to run it directly from the battery!
markb
I'll bet your car had a radio in it at some point, maybe you can find & use the original wire?
mk114
well the reason I need switched power it so it turns off with the key
markb
That's what the stock wire does.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.