Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: End of times teenerfest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Katmanken
OK, I screwed up. It was Fosset that used the old Schilling AFB runway to set a world airplane record. Tried hard to forget my time in the Salina flatlands and anything associated with the place.

"On February 28, 2005, the city was home to the "Last Great Aviation Record" when Steve Fossett took off from the Salina Airport in the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer, to attempt the first solo, non-stop, non-refueled aerial circumnavigation of the globe by airplane. Fossett completed the record-breaking flight on March 3, 2005 when he landed back in Salina after 67 hours, 1 minute and 10 seconds, at an average speed of 342.2 mph (550.7 km/h). Support for the venture was provided by the Kansas State Aviation Research (KStAR) Lab."

Kansas is WAAYYY too flat and has road hazards west of KC. I've seen what looks like a car coming at you shimmering in the heat waves. Soon you realize it's coming at you REALLLY fast....

Then you realize it's a fighter flying upside down along the road about 6 feet up.....

The pilot lifts to clear you, and FWOOOSHHHHHHHH, he goes streaking overhead...

Frickin Navy carrier pilots are nuts...

And Olathe had a naval air station.
jimtab
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2010, 10:31 AM) *

I knew someone had already done that, here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_ce...s_United_States

Near Lebanon, Kansas ...

idea.gif Andy

I think with Alaska added in its in Canada and if you add Hawaii it's somewhere in the North Pacific.....no good for autoX......I'm just sayin'..... biggrin.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(jimtab @ May 19 2010, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2010, 10:31 AM) *

I knew someone had already done that, here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_ce...s_United_States

Near Lebanon, Kansas ...

idea.gif Andy

I think with Alaska added in its in Canada and if you add Hawaii it's somewhere in the North Pacific.....no good for autoX......I'm just sayin'..... biggrin.gif

Put on a pair of pants and stay away from the single malt!
bandjoey
I want my tshirt now. icon_bump.gif
Rotary'14
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 17 2010, 09:00 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 17 2010, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ May 17 2010, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 17 2010, 10:31 PM) *

IPB Image

SCHWEEEET! smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif

I want a shirt!
biggrin.gif Andy

agree.gif

Now that's pretty cool.
-Robert
Jerry

Hey...what month does the Mayan calender say the world gonna end??
scotty b
QUOTE(Jerry @ Oct 8 2010, 09:41 PM) *

Hey...what month does the Mayan calender say the world gonna end??

December 12 2012. So we have a lottle over 2 years to make this happen. Google is yer friend........
qa1142
Well, you all go west and you start losing the east folk. Until I really trust my rebuild I don't want to drive more than one long day from Chicago.

And that sucks barf.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Oct 9 2010, 05:13 AM) *

Well, you all go west and you start losing the east folk. Until I really trust my rebuild I don't want to drive more than one long day from Chicago.

And that sucks barf.gif

poke.gif
qa1142
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 9 2010, 05:30 AM) *

QUOTE(qa1142 @ Oct 9 2010, 05:13 AM) *

And that sucks barf.gif

poke.gif

And pull that with what? poke.gif

How about you pick me up in your semi transport on your way by? beerchug.gif
scotty b
O.K. biggrin.gif

For anyone intersted in making this event happen. Start throwing out some ideas for locations please. Remeber we have 2 main goals here:

1. must be in a central location that is possible to get the east and west coasters to make the event.

2. must be in a location that has some good roads, scenery, and or attractions for us to enjoy. THIS is the major problem with the middle of the country dry.gif Most areas tend to be flat farmland. Unless getting drunk and going cowtipping is your idea of a great week we need some suggestions to debate. I'm kind of partial to the Dakotas BUT that is a bit further west then I think easterners will drive confused24.gif
scotty b
FWIW according to mapquest Lincoln Nebraska is

20 hours from Richmond

19 hours from Tallahassee

24 hours from Seattle

23 hours from San Fran

Rapid City South Dakota is about another 6 hours for the easterners, but that would put us in some GREAT scenery. Right in the badlands, and black hills area. Close to Rushmore as well

idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif
qa1142
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 9 2010, 07:36 AM) *

20 hours from Richmond

24 hours from Seattle

23 hours from San Fran

Rapid City South Dakota is about another 6 hours for the easterners, but that would put us in some GREAT scenery. Right in the badlands, and black hills area. Close to Rushmore as well

Lincoln is do-able ~ 10 hours from Chicago piratenanner.gif
poorsche914
I did some searching at www.motorcycleroads.us and even the roads marked as "twisties" in KS and NE are not really twisty looking when viewed on google maps. dry.gif

For center of the country looks like we will have to settle for "scenic".

rick 918-S
I'm close enough to scout the roads in South Dakota. Well not really close like 14 hours one way. But I could make it a weekend trip maybe this fall yet or spring. I think Chappy hunts out that way and may know a little of the area. Others may also. The Black hills has to have some awesome twisty roads. Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Hot Springs, Dino Bones, Sturgis... Beemer bikes...
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 9 2010, 08:36 AM) *

20 hours from Richmond

24 hours from Seattle

23 hours from San Fran

Rapid City sound good to me. Only 20 hour drive driving.gif
qa1142
Need a track driving.gif
Sleepin
Cheyenne Mountain?
mepstein
Did you know it's 914 miles from Jake Raby/air cooled technology to Chris Foley/tangerine racing, door to door. I'm going to have to take that drive next year. Who's with me?
Bartlett 914
I have never been to South Dakota. Sounds like a nice drive. KC..boring and flat. I am in whatever.....
Tom_T
Whew!!!! blink.gif

Well I guess we dodged the bullet for an "early end of the world" this past Saturday at 6:00 pm PST! biggrin.gif

So I assume this 2012 one is still on then!!?? piratenanner.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 24 2011, 01:22 PM) *

I have never been to South Dakota. Sounds like a nice drive. KC..boring and flat. I am in whatever.....

CT to AL by way of SD is just a bit more than 914 miles biggrin.gif
AZ914
Tucson to Rapid City, SD. 19.25 hrs
bandjoey
It's 914 (really, just a smudge over 914) miles from Chicago to Dallas TX. Springfield MO is 1/2 way

It's 914 miles (also really close on the miles) from Newport Beach VA to Cape Girardeau, Mo.

We meet where all 3 roads come together - Kentucky? creamsicle914.jpg

It's 914 miles (really close) from Los Angeles to Aspen Co. red914.jpg

SO,,,North, South, and East can meet and we'll simulcast via Skype from the hotel big screen to the West Coast people. type.gif

Can we get 914 cars to sign up? blowup.gif

Look at it this way. If we all start tonight, we'll have about 2/3 of us with running cars by then..and the rest can drive their Mazda's.
SLITS
Ain't gonna work .... due to a math miscalculation, the world will now end on Oct 21st, 2011 according to the engineer that has missed it twice.
Tom_T
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 24 2011, 04:49 PM) *

Ain't gonna work .... due to a math miscalculation, the world will now end on Oct 21st, 2011 according to the engineer that has missed it twice.

WTF.gif
... geez Ron, that guy is really ticking me off now, cuz he made the same math error back in 1994 or so too! dry.gif
Didn't he pay attention in math class as a kid!!?? av-943.gif

Wut time so I can set my watch alarm! lol-2.gif
Dr Evil
Every time he makes a wrong end of the world prediction, we should take a shot drunk.gif

I may be in for this smile.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 24 2011, 02:42 PM) *

Whew!!!! blink.gif

Well I guess we dodged the bullet for an "early end of the world" this past Saturday at 6:00 pm PST! biggrin.gif

Oh yeah...folks quit their jobs and rolled around in buses to let everyone know of the impending doom!

I wonder if they were disappointed that the world did not end after all their efforts? dry.gif
bandjoey
QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 25 2011, 07:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 24 2011, 02:42 PM) *

Whew!!!! blink.gif

Oh yeah...folks quit their jobs and rolled around in buses to let everyone know of the impending doom!

I wonder if they were disappointed that the world did not end after all their efforts? dry.gif

YEP. All the advertising and gas was charged on Visa. headbang.gif
BigDBass
icon_bump.gif happy11.gif
type47
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 24 2011, 03:49 PM) *

Sh!t, what's todays date? I'm gettin' the teener ready for tech tomorrow, maybe I don't need to finish up... WTF.gif
BajaXJ92
The Badlands sounds like an awesome idea. LOVE that place.

I'm in. piratenanner.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Oct 21 2011, 07:44 AM) *

The Badlands sounds like an awesome idea. LOVE that place.

I'm in. piratenanner.gif

Sorry, but if it's in the Badlands then I'm out, cuz IMHO it's inappropriate due to that area's sacred nature to the Native People & their long standing dispute. Not political, just my values.

Prefer all y'all pick another local, plus it's well far north for those in the southwest & southeast corners, if you're trying to pick a spot central to the lower 48.
scotty b
The problem we have run into is there just isn't anything CENTRAL that is worth going to. We want somethign scenic, with good roads, and goo times. Black hills are my pick. Rushmore, Sturgis, Deadwood, windcave, awesome roads, beautiful forests, open fields etc. etc. etc
Tom_T
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 21 2011, 09:03 AM) *

The problem we have run into is there just isn't anything CENTRAL that is worth going to. We want somethign scenic, with good roads, and goo times. Black hills are my pick. Rushmore, Sturgis, Deadwood, windcave, awesome roads, beautiful forests, open fields etc. etc. etc

Curt said Eureka AR was awesome last weekend for MUSR, & I've done in in the Westy. dry.gif

That's much more central & fliers can come into Tulsa or Little Rock.
BajaXJ92
How about the Ozarks?
Dr Evil
AW yeah, its shine time!
scotty b
idea.gif Well if we held it in New Zealand I could kill two birds with one stone happy11.gif
BigDBass
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 21 2011, 04:44 PM) *

idea.gif Well if we held it in New Zealand I could kill two birds with one stone happy11.gif

I don't think my car would make the drive to NZ sad.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Oct 21 2011, 11:26 AM) *

How about the Ozarks?

Where I suggested above IS in the Ozarks in NW Arkansas.

Also in the the Ozarks - along southern tier of Missouri along US 60 from Poplar Bluff MO to Springfield MO, then end up south on US 65 to Ozark MO for some Throwed Rolls at Lamberts Cafe? chowtime.gif biggrin.gif drooley.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif

Also can do same W-E & can add Lambert's in Sikeston MO.....
Tom_T
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 21 2011, 02:44 PM) *

Unfortunately Scotty, even if we could drive to NZ, we couldn't make it by Sunday for the Rugby World Cup Final Match there! sad.gif
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Oct 21 2011, 05:51 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 21 2011, 04:44 PM) *

I don't think my car would make the drive to NZ sad.gif

Nonsense.

You just need one of these on your teener.

IPB Image
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Heck : I'll try to make it know matter where it is. That is if I am not looking up at

the grass. I have been in Black Hill's area , and the Ozarks , both areas

outstanding to me . Dave slap.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.