Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think I just got vapor lock!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silverteener
Just went out to start my car to go the store and it won't turn over. The pump turns on but I got nothing. I just got back from lunch a while ago so I know it's a little hot. Will the motor turn over if you have vapor lock, or is it the ignition switch I just replaced earlier this year? it is frustrating to say the least!

detoxcowboy
If you have vapor lock the motor will turn over, probably your ignition switch
Ferg
Sounds like starter/hot start.

CAR IN NEUTRAL!!! take a screwdriver and bridge/spark the poles on the starter wires, and try to start.

Ferg
SirAndy
QUOTE(silverteener @ May 18 2010, 12:15 PM) *

I think I just got vapor lock!

I don't think so. With vapor lock, the gas in your fuelpump got so hot that it turned into vapors. That is very, very, very rare. The outside weather needs to be near baking and the motor of the car needs to be very hot. With vapor lock, the car will turn over just fine and the fuel pump will be noticeably noisy (trying to pump vapor).

shades.gif Andy
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2010, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(silverteener @ May 18 2010, 12:15 PM) *

I think I just got vapor lock!

I don't think so. With vapor lock, the gas in your fuelpump got so hot that it turned into vapors. That is very, very, very rare. The outside weather needs to be near baking and the motor of the car needs to be very hot. With vapor lock, the car will turn over just fine and the fuel pump will be noticeably noisy (trying to pump vapor).

shades.gif Andy

agree.gif Your car did not vapor lock. Could be switch, solenoid, wiring, grounds,etc, but not vapor lock!
silverteener
thanks for the tips. Just went out to try to start it and it starts right up! hopefully it will later when I get done working!
SirAndy
QUOTE(silverteener @ May 18 2010, 01:15 PM) *

thanks for the tips. Just went out to try to start it and it starts right up! hopefully it will later when I get done working!

Get a new starter. It's about to die ...

popcorn[1].gif Andy
SLITS
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2010, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(silverteener @ May 18 2010, 01:15 PM) *

Get a new starter. It's about to die ...

popcorn[1].gif Andy

I disagree slightly ... it's probably the solenoid overheating, but you might as well get a new starter. beer.gif
underthetire
And unless you really like changing starters, don't get the flaps one. Learned that by the 4th one in 4 months. BTW it's a whole lot easier to remove the drivers side tire and change it out than crawling underneath for those that don't have lifts.

I can do one now in 15 minutes, name your tune!
TheCabinetmaker
Once again, use only bosch new or bosch rebuilt starers and alternaors.
orthobiz
Given the cars are 35 or 40 years old, is it a good idea to just replace the starter at the sign of any start problems? Like it's gonna go bad soon anyway?

My car developed a mysterious problem starting last year. Sometimes hot, sometimes cold, turn the key and...nothing! The ignition switch had been replaced when I bought it 3 yrs ago. The new switch was defective and I had to replace it right away (with another aftermarket switch). So I'm wondering, how often can an ignition switch go bad?

Also, anybody have a photo of jumping the wires with a screwdriver? As in, where EXACTLY does the screwdriver go?

Thanks,

Paul
Ferg
On two cross country trips when I encountered the hot start issue, the screwdriver tricked worked for me every time, two different cars.

Two wires on the starter solenoid, using a long screwdriver bridge the poles, not at a gas pump because it will spark, and not in gear because car will lurch.

PIC

silverteener
my dad bought me some kind of Bosch low voltage relay thing but I haven't had a chance to look at it to much. I will take a picture of it tomorrow. It goes on the starter but i'm not sure what it does. I have an extra starter here I can swap out. but I am curious to see what this Bosch thing is supposed to do? Does anyone know what I am talking about?
silverteener
I found what I have on the bird.

Click to view attachment

Hot Start Relay Kit
914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1970-76), 914-6 (1970-72), Each

You guys think I should put this on?
underthetire
Thats a relay to help with hot start problems. My car had something like it on it when I got it. Basically it takes the high current load off the ignition switch for the starter solenoid. Kind of a band aid I think, but they do work. Mine was removed when I put the new starter(s) in and have not had a problem.
silverteener
Well I still have this problem. I haven't put the other starter on yet but it's not in the best shape so I'm not sure it will work. I've driven the car the past couple days and it has started with no problems. I just went out to go somewhere and it won't start again. It sat for about an hour since I got here to work. I felt the selonoid and it does not feel hot. I guess I'll try putting on the hot start harness and see if that will help. I don't have the money for a new starter right now. I guess I'll have to jump the starter today huh.
Drums66
QUOTE(underthetire @ May 18 2010, 08:01 PM) *

Thats a relay to help with hot start problems. My car had something like it on it when I got it. Basically it takes the high current load off the ignition switch for the starter solenoid. Kind of a band aid I think, but they do work. Mine was removed when I put the new starter(s) in and have not had a problem.

Call it what you want? but.........I have'nt had an issue since I put 1 on!
( been many many moons)
P.S. even after long periods of sitting!)
SLITS
QUOTE(silverteener @ May 28 2010, 07:24 AM) *

Well I still have this problem. I haven't put the other starter on yet but it's not in the best shape so I'm not sure it will work. I've driven the car the past couple days and it has started with no problems. I just went out to go somewhere and it won't start again. It sat for about an hour since I got here to work. I felt the selonoid and it does not feel hot. I guess I'll try putting on the hot start harness and see if that will help. I don't have the money for a new starter right now. I guess I'll have to jump the starter today huh.

It's not so much the solenoid getting overheated, it's the contacts inside that get burned and do not make good contact. Try whacking it with a hammer (or other suitable tool). On old Chevys we would take the solenoid apart and filp the copper contact disk inside ... wella, a new starter (almost).

Oh, and for a hot start relay, I use a cheap ass Ford solenoid ($6). Doesn't come with the wires, but comes with instructions. Anybody need one or some?
Drums66
Ya.....I agree starter and solenoid issue's must
be corrected first or it is a............can't say it! idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
Todd Enlund
My car had a Ford starter relay wired in when I got it.
bandjoey
Here in Texas there are still starter/generator places that rebuild. U might check your area to see if there are any.
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 28 2010, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE(silverteener @ May 28 2010, 07:24 AM) *

It's not so much the solenoid getting overheated, it's the contacts inside that get burned and do not make good contact. Try whacking it with a hammer (or other suitable tool). On old Chevys we would take the solenoid apart and filp the copper contact disk inside ... wella, a new starter (almost).

Oh, and for a hot start relay, I use a cheap ass Ford solenoid ($6). Doesn't come with the wires, but comes with instructions. Anybody need one or some?

agree.gif Yup, copper in starters/solenoids go melty melt! blink.gif
mipstien
I believe this hot start issue may be my problem or I'm having a hot start flooding problem. It starts runs good and then after I stop it and leave it for about 10 minutes and it doesn't start leave it for awhile longer and its fine. Although it turns over just won't start. Similar to not gettingg fuel thoughh.
silverteener
Mine would not even turn over. I put the hot start relay on this weekend and haven't had a problem so far! I hope it's fixed for a while. I can't afford a new starter right now! If your's turns over I doubt its a hot start problem. but I'm no expert! good luck beerchug.gif
mipstien
it doesn't sound like the vapor lock issue cause its not making extra noise i bet its just flooding which im not really sure why probably an mps problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.