Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shock question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JJ914
Are Koni shocks orange. There are orange shock on a old. 914 I brought home this week. If they are I might put them on my other car.
rekphiv
In my experience parting out MANY cars, orange shocks are normally konis, But beware, there are also some hencho in mexico orange shocks that look like konis. Konis will have either the old wing logo or the new koni logo on the shock. Get under there with a wire brush and you should find it.
underthetire
Both my recent 914's had orange shocks.(in the rear) They I think are factory BOGE.
Tom_T
Sorry, but I disagree with some of the above.

As I understand the colors for shocks/struts for the 70's era:

1 - Boges were grey or black (see The few, the rare...." in Originality Forum Sahara Beige 73 2L as from factory) - NOT orange as far as I've ever heard.
> see post #49 here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...01921&st=40

2 - Factory Bilsteins were Green (new ones are yellow).

3 - Konis of the period were red (but it could look orange-ish if faded or paint partially removed & in certain lighting).

I've seen some off-brand orange ones advertised on evil-bay, which may or may not be any good.

Do NOT use a wire brush on them, as you'll puck up the painted finish. That's like using a cannon for bird hunting! dry.gif

Spray them with WD40 & let soak a few minutes - then wipe off the crud with a soft rag, repeat as necessary.

I did that on mine & here's a pic of one partially cleaned (installed early 80's) & shows the Koni logo from then -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Aside from the Bilsteins which give a great variable ride sport-to-cruising & last forever it seems - these Koni HD "Special D's" were awesome handling on my 2.0 - especially after I lowered the front end with the Koni inserts up front! driving.gif

If those on it are Konis & still in good shape, then put them on your drivingest 914, & get some Koni inserts up front (if your front strut tubes are black, then they're Boge & you'll need the Koni inserts for Boge struts). Otherwise budget & pick either Koni or Bilstein new for all 4 corners, after you've driven some other 914s with each to know which you prefer personally. Either way, you won't be disappointed. IMHO the KYB's suck & Boges are just okay, but that's for me!

Hope this helps!
popcorn[1].gif
JJ914
Thanks everyone, I will get under the car and get a better look. If is
am lucky maybe they will be the Koni's
underthetire
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 21 2010, 01:59 PM) *

Sorry, but I disagree with some of the above.

As I understand the colors for shocks/struts for the 70's era:

1 - Boges were grey or black (see The few, the rare...." in Originality Forum Sahara Beige 73 2L as from factory) - NOT orange as far as I've ever heard.
> see post #49 here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...01921&st=40

2 - Factory Bilsteins were Green (new ones are yellow).

3 - Konis of the period were red (but it could look orange-ish if faded or paint partially removed & in certain lighting).

I've seen some off-brand orange ones advertised on evil-bay, which may or may not be any good.

Do NOT use a wire brush on them, as you'll puck up the painted finish. That's like using a cannon for bird hunting! dry.gif

Spray them with WD40 & let soak a few minutes - then wipe off the crud with a soft rag, repeat as necessary.

I did that on mine & here's a pic of one partially cleaned (installed early 80's) & shows the Koni logo from then -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Aside from the Bilsteins which give a great variable ride sport-to-cruising & last forever it seems - these Koni HD "Special D's" were awesome handling on my 2.0 - especially after I lowered the front end with the Koni inserts up front! driving.gif

If those on it are Konis & still in good shape, then put them on your drivingest 914, & get some Koni inserts up front (if your front strut tubes are black, then they're Boge & you'll need the Koni inserts for Boge struts). Otherwise budget & pick either Koni or Bilstein new for all 4 corners, after you've driven some other 914s with each to know which you prefer personally. Either way, you won't be disappointed. IMHO the KYB's suck & Boges are just okay, but that's for me!

Hope this helps!
popcorn[1].gif

Thats funny, both my 914's have orange BOGE in the rear, black in front. Not red orange either, straight orange.
914Sixer
Orange Boges were the later (TS) Turbo Shock sold during the late 80's and early 90's. Some were hydraulic, some were gas.

underthetire
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 22 2010, 05:19 AM) *

Orange Boges were the later (TS) Turbo Shock sold during the late 80's and early 90's. Some were hydraulic, some were gas.

Thank you for clearing that up. These are hydraulic for sure, they any good?
oldschool
QUOTE(rekphiv @ May 21 2010, 11:36 AM) *

In my experience parting out MANY cars, orange shocks are normally konis, But beware, there are also some hencho in mexico orange shocks that look like konis. Konis will have either the old wing logo or the new koni logo on the shock. Get under there with a wire brush and you should find it.

That's what the wife that lol-2.gif she thought she was getting flag.gif but she got a hencho in mexico lol-2.gif .....that's ok I'm not even from this world lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(oldschool @ May 22 2010, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(rekphiv @ May 21 2010, 11:36 AM) *

That's what the wife that lol-2.gif she thought she was getting flag.gif but she got a hencho in mexico lol-2.gif .....that's ok I'm not even from this world lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

Somehow I just knew we'd here from you on this post. biggrin.gif

See, some good things come out of Mexico, fact in, my favorite blanket came out of Mexico, and the dam EX wife kept it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.