Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glad to be alive...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jeroen
Totalled my '87 3.2 Carrera this afternoon
Well, it wasn't really me, it was a friend of mine (I was in the passenger seat)
I really shouldn't have let him drive the car, he was way too inexperienced
It weird how you get used to the performance and handling of fast cars (you're actually always thinking you should get more umph) while they are absolutly leathal in the hands of someone without experience.

What basically happened is that we took a right turn at a x-ing. My friend wasn't going fast or anything, but he pushes it too hard and early on the exit of the turn.
The car started drifting (very slightly, nothing serious) but my friend never noticed it and we went straight off the right hand side of the road.

The car was airborn for a couple of meters flying over a moat/canal and spearheaded into the vertical embankment on the opposite side of the moat/canal and bounced back into the water.

The impact was pretty severe (I'm guessing we were going about 30mph) and knocked the wind out of me.
Thank goodness we were both wearing the 4 point harnesses and nothing happened to either of us
I was totally calm. I asked my friend if he was alright, told him to shut off the engine and open the windows as the car was filling with water now. I climbed out of the window onto the roof of the car and helped my friend out as well.
We go on dry land and watched the car completely submerge...

Early in the evening the car was towed out of the water and I was honestly shocked at the amount of damage
(I'll shoot some pics tomorrow)

The car is completely totalled (it's completely bend, just in front of the windscreen) but I'm just glad to be alive
Thing could have been much, much worse very easily...

cheers,

Jeroen
JeffBowlsby
Glad you are ok J, sorry to hear of your loss...
Eric Taylor
Oh man that really sucks. I feel your pain. I remember totalying my 914, it was really depressing.
Eric.

P.S.
What ya doing with the 3.2 smile.gif
tat2dphreak
were are all glad you are ok! sorry about the car... sad.gif
tracks914
Good to hear you are OK. Too bad about the car, I hope you had it insured.
That reminds me, my mother wants to drive the teener when it is done. She says she learned to drive stick in the fifties and she can handle it. unsure.gif
I don't know if I should let her. sad.gif
chunger
Glad to hear you're all ok and posting still. . . that's very scary. . . hope the recovery is smoothe financially now.

Friends don't let friends drive tail draggers. sad.gif
echocanyons
OUCH!
good to hear everyone walked away.
nebreitling
i am extremely thankful that you and your friend were not injured. it sounds like it could have been MUCH worse. i'm sorry for the loss of your car.

you speak wisdom when you write of these cars being potentially lethal in the wrong hands. even a stock 1.7 914 can get you into plenty of trouble.

be safe out there, everyone.
seanery
Sorry about the car ohmy.gif . I'm glad you're ok though clap56.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Jeroen, We are extremly glad that you and your friend are ok. Sorry about the Pcar. It can be replaced, but you guys cannot. Thank you Lord for delivering our friends safely. pray.gif
DuckRyder
Glad you and your freind are O.K.
GWN7
Glad your both ok
Joe Bob
Ditto....happy to see you survived. Water at the end of a road get off has got to be scary.....and let me the first to NOT ask if anything off it is for sale.....

Now the fun part, dealing with the insurance company.....you think you lost your breath from the accident, wait till they get through with you. Good luck and get your receipts ready....
ein 6er
HOLY MOLY!!!!!!!

glad you guys are ok!!! sounds like it could have been a lot worst!!!

take care!!

doug
Bleyseng
Pot vor damna! Jeroen!!!!

I am glad you are ok! I just the cage worked just like it was supposed to. Gonna use that motor now in the 914??
The was one nice ride you had, wow... I am speachless. I think I have a pic from before that I'll post.
Better strip the rest of the parts of it before shipping it off.

Geoff
Andyrew
Very sad news Jeroen, Hopefully (im sure) you have insurance for the 911. I bet you'll buy it back for cheap, part it out, get yourself another nice 911, take the 3.2 engine, and put it in one of your 914's.

Think positive!

Very glad your both safe and had no injuries. Guess the 911 took one for the team.

Andrew
VegasRacer
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 4 2004, 04:06 PM)
were are all glad you are ok! sorry about the car... sad.gif

agree.gif

Es tut mir leid.
Qarl
ohmy.gif

Glad you're safe! Sorry about the car!
morph
Sorry to hear about your car, THAT REALLY SUCKS!!!! We are very glad that you and your friend made it out okay. It makes my bad week seem not so bad, (got in accident middle last week, got a $250 speeding ticket the next day)
Bleyseng
Das Boot! (from Risky Business)
ablose58
So sorry about your loss! sad.gif I am glad to hear both you guys weren't injured clap56.gif Hope things turn for the better!!!!!! AL
J P Stein
That sux. Glad you're OK.
soloracer
Glad to hear that you are both OK. I let a friend borrow my 951 once and he ran into a fence when going around a corner and the boost came on. It had rained slightly and he said that it spun when he got on the gas. After that I made up my mind that the nobody other than myself will drive my toys (Porsche, bikes, etc.)
SirAndy
damm dude that sucks ...
glad you guys made it out ok!

i guess 9elebens don't float.
Andy
Malmz
Jeez, that sucks. Adds a little reality to what these toys we play with are capable of doing to us.

Hope it all works out without too many hastles!

sm
rick 918-S
OMG! Glad to here your OK!
Rusty
Thank God no one was hurt.

Glad you're still with us, bud.

-Rusty smoke.gif
SteveL
Glad to hear you made it throught the accident OK. Cars can be replaced, friends can't.
maf914
Sorry about the 911, but I am glad to hear you and your friend are okay.

Mike
jtf914
Damn.....Sorry about the car, but I'm glad you walked away.

-Justin
rick 918-S
Ok a day has gone by and your alright. Great. Lets look at the positive. When your insurance company spikes you on the value of your car your not going to be too pleased. BUT... If you buy back the salvage your going to have one hot 914! BTW call the towing guy and have him drain the oil. The crank case is probably filled with water. if you can also pull the spark plugs and drain the cylinders. Then get something designed for fogging boat cylinders for winter storage. This should save the motor until you can have a better look.
Jeroen
Here's the pics...

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
asdf
Jeroen
asdf
Jeroen
asdf
Mark Henry
Glad your OK!

3.2 914/6 here we go!
machina
I think it is actually frowning. sad.gif
Bleyseng
I can fix that! welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

okay, the car is at that Porsche shop we went to. Great shop, hopefully he will salvage the motor quick. Those rims will look good on the 914/6 too.

Geoff
DuckRyder
I think I'd have to take that out of my friend's hyde..............................

Looks like you were both very lucky!

And it think it is frowning too, I know I am......... sad.gif
GaroldShaffer
Ouch headbang.gif

The important thing is everyone is ok. How everything works out with the insurance company.

- Garold
theol00
Here we have an expression in racing "shit happens!" The good news is - your and your friend are ok - and hopefully your insurance will cover the rest. I am sorry for your loss.
Theo
markb
QUOTE(SteveL @ Apr 5 2004, 04:57 AM)
Glad to hear you made it throught the accident OK. Cars can be replaced, friends can't.

agree.gif
richardL
Oh Jeroen,

Thats terrible news. I'm glad your fine. That looked to be a fairly rapid decel. judging by how bent the front of the car is. sad.gif

Thats was a really fun car - I hope you can replace it with something as nice.

Richard
krk
Jeroen!

I'm so glad you both walked away from that -- lots of accidents don't turn out that well! Sorry about the car tho -- losing a ride sucks. Hope the insurance/etc works out ok.

kim.
si2t3m
OUCH!!!

Glade that both of you are fine. I'm terrified about the part where the car got submerged in water. Thank god you kept cool and both got out.

Marc-André
Jacco
tjesis... jeroen

that scared the shit out of me! Glad you survived the crash.

really a pity of the fine 911 as well, a typical case of "even apeldoorn bellen"

head up Jeroen,

Jacco
Bruce Allert
Geese Man, When I first read your thread yesterday I felt so sorry for you (still do). I felt bad when Punkin blew up sad.gif I can only imagine how your friend feels. I know I'd want to do everything to help with a replacement if that's even possible.
Better times are ahead cuz yer still here, eh? wink.gif

.........b beer.gif
sechszylinder
hi jeroen,

shit happens ... , but the really important thing is that you're both uninjured !!!!!!!

benno
Jeroen
No insurance on the car... well it is insured, but only for damage that I (or my car) do to others, not for damages on my own car.
I have no problem with that, but in a situation like this it ehh... sucks biggrin.gif

My friend said he'd pay for the damage he'd done, and I can only hope he will.
If he (or his insurance) doesn't, I don't think I have a case.
Stuff works different here... I let him drive my car, so it's my responsibility if anything happens.
I'm not quite sure (digging into it at the moment), but I think that is were I stand...

As far as the parts of the car. I really don't think the engine is worth keeping.
It was pretty hot from when it ended into the water, so the thermal reaction (heat to sudden cold) alone was prolly enuf to ruin it.
I told my friend to shut off the engine, but in his panic, he couldn't find the ignition key (because it's on the wrong side ofcourse biggrin.gif) and I just pointed him the switch for the electric window, so he could open it and get out (my main priority)
So the engine swallowed water too...

I'm gonna check if I can easily remove any worthwile other parts tonight (the wheels and seats and hopefully some other stuff) and then it'll go to a Porsche wreckyard...

I don't have the time/space or energie at this moment to part it out my self. I hope it's gone before the weekend...

cheers,

Jeroen
Hawk
Geez Jeroen, you are one calm guy. What a way to prove that these Porsches are built right though, at least you lived to buy another someday. pray.gif
I made the mistake of letting my 16 year old learn to drive a stick this weekend, using my 911, and we nearly made a new entrance to the garage.
What you say about novices driving these cars is so true. Guess I will be selfish and decline to share my p-cars at next request. Stay well. driving.gif
-Richard
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.