Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid hinge nut is stripped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
What size would you drill and then tap the welded in nut to? Sure would be nice if there was a quick release pin for the engine lid. Thanks.
URY914
Is the the nut that is part of the "L" bracket?
URY914
Can't you drill it out and use a longer bolt and put a nut on the outside of the striped one?
jt914-6
Bill....the stock nut is a 6mm X 1.0 thread. Try running a tap that size in it first. The next metric size up would most likely be a 8mm which may be too big for the "L" bracket. If it won't tap out you might weld a 6mm X 1.0 nut on top of the stock one and use a longer bolt.....or replace the "L" bracket.....
bandjoey
Yes it's on the L bracket. I did the tap, but the nut is too far gone. Nothing longer can go in because the lid itself scrapes a couple of mm's over the welded nut when the lid opens. I guess I'll have to grind off the welded nut to make that work. headbang.gif Or.. idea.gif I think I'll grind the squares off of a carrage bolt and jb weld that into the stripped nut and nut it from the bottom. It should have clearance, and at the worst, I'll be grinding off the original nut anyway.

Why isn't there a quick release hinge pin ($$Million dollar idea someone??) for the lid. It's really a pain to put it on and work under, after having the lid off for so long. Thanks guys.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 24 2010, 05:49 PM) *

Yes it's on the L bracket. I did the tap, but the nut is too far gone. Nothing longer can go in because the lid itself scrapes a couple of mm's over the welded nut when the lid opens. I guess I'll have to grind off the welded nut to make that work. headbang.gif Or.. idea.gif I think I'll grind the squares off of a carrage bolt and jb weld that into the stripped nut. It should have clearance, and at the worst, I'll be grinding off the original nut anyway.

Why isn't there a quick release hinge pin ($$Million dollar idea someone??) for the lid. It's really a pain to put it on and work under, after having the lid off for so long. Thanks guys.

been ther done all the same you did, I used a through bolt with a nut and that got me through for a long time, you could grind off the old nut and weld another, or just get new brackets and weld those on. I bought new brackets, striped nut could be your only issue or not.. alot of times twice for me these brackets just fatigue and the metal on the firewall behind them does too..
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 24 2010, 05:17 PM) *

Can't you drill it out and use a longer bolt and put a nut on the outside of the striped one?

agree.gif
URY914
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 24 2010, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 24 2010, 05:17 PM) *

agree.gif

Thank you biggrin.gif
tradisrad
I tapped mine with an M7 x 1.0 and got the bolt at the local hardwear store.
bandjoey
Ah Ha. There is a 7x1 I'll look at that first, if I have a 7 tap. Then one of the other great suggestions. Thanks Again for the ideas.
tradisrad
my tap is a craftsman
bandjoey
QUOTE(tradisrad @ May 24 2010, 10:40 PM) *

my tap is a craftsman

my banker is my wife
and my drug is #914 drooley.gif

sean_v8_914
slot the lid tabs. place stud on bracket (car side) attach with wing nut.
McMark
agree.gif 7mm x 1.00 is the way to go.

I've never modified an engine lid for 'quick release' because I've never felt it was necessary.
ClayPerrine
I have a 7mm x 1.0 tap you can borrow.

realred914
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ May 24 2010, 05:20 PM) *

Bill....the stock nut is a 6mm X 1.0 thread. Try running a tap that size in it first. The next metric size up would most likely be a 8mm which may be too big for the "L" bracket. If it won't tap out you might weld a 6mm X 1.0 nut on top of the stock one and use a longer bolt.....or replace the "L" bracket.....

You can buy 7 mm bolts too, Id do that first, I think I did one of my cars with an english sized screw, maybe it was like a #10-32 or #12 or so, I forget. just find the next closest diameter screw/bolt and tap to that size. yes the length gets in the way. no big deal, with the next diameter tap, it works fine, no biggy!!!

have fun
kpfoten
I just fixed mine last week--took my dremel, sectioned the nut with a disc into like 8 segments and popped them off the l-bracked with a needle nose pliers. Then I put a new nut/bolt in. Took like 10 minutes, although threading the bolt into the nut is a PITA. There is not much room to work with--I was too lazy to set my welder up and weld a nut on the l-bracket, but oh well.. Good luck!
detoxcowboy
7mm is available but not at your local hardware store, you may have to get it online, for some reason 7mm gets skipped everywhere I go, 6mm 8mm no 7mm, tooke me a stroke of luck to get 7mm nuts for the clutch cable
realred914
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 25 2010, 12:22 PM) *

7mm is available but not at your local hardware store, you may have to get it online, for some reason 7mm gets skipped everywhere I go, 6mm 8mm no 7mm, tooke me a stroke of luck to get 7mm nuts for the clutch cable

Kragens auto parts has 7 mm bolts in teh blister packs on the rotating parts display rack. true the 7 mm is not the most common, but it can be found try automotive parts stores for this. I much rather you tap to a 7 mm than an 8 mmm, that will give you a better looking bolt fit and give you one more extra chance if it ever strips again! You may not get the length that is right, but a long 7mm bolt can be cut donw in length.

good lucky
bandjoey
Will a 7mm tap go through without drilling the hole to tap size? If not what's your drill size recommendation? Thanks Clay. I'll call U if my set doesn't have the tap.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 25 2010, 04:49 PM) *

Will a 7mm tap go through without drilling the hole to tap size? If not what's your drill size recommendation? Thanks Clay. I'll call U if my set doesn't have the tap.

Metric tap drill calculation is easy. Take the pitch and subtract from the screw diameter. EX: M6 X 1 = tap drill 5mm. M8 X .8 = Tap drill 7.2mm. This works with SAE but is a little more complicated because we specify threads per inch and not the pitch.
tradisrad
my tap has the drill size etched on it. I am pretty sure that I drilled mine first.
ClayPerrine
Bill...

The Ace hardware on Hwy 26 near my house carries a LOT of metric nuts and bolts. They have 7mm bolts on the shelf in both regular and stainless.

I have the proper tap and drill, and it will take all of 5 minutes to fix.
bandjoey
I'm going to Ace tomorrow and pick up a couple of bolts. I'll give you a call Clay and come by when you're out working on your cars. I also like the idea of slotting the hinge so I don't have to pull the bolt completely out. It's really tight to tune and sync with the lid/rain tray in the way. aktion035.gif Thanks again for all the suggestions and ideas. THIS is what World is all about!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.