Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing crankshaft seal impeller end, help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
Is there a way to replace the crankshaft seal on the impeller end without a special vw tool? is there another tool I could use? and assist appreciated..
realred914
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 26 2010, 10:10 AM) *

Is there a way to replace the crankshaft seal on the impeller end without a special vw tool? is there another tool I could use? and assist appreciated..

a bearing seal puller helps it is a axle looking thing that has a curved sickle shaped blade on a handle, it can be used to pull the old seal out, I had to modify the one I use by moving the handle to get the right angle as the shaft that sticks out of the motor gets in the way of the tool.

I have laos used a center punch needle pliers and screw drivers to get them out, just dont bugger up the case when doing this.

then use appropiate sized sockets or pipes to be used place the near seal in with gentle blows form a mallet, it is very important to get it strights. i believe I have also may have used the fan flange and some sockets or pipe sections and used the flange to press it home by screwing down the flange.

the new seal must go in perfectly flat and square to seal right.

have fun
detoxcowboy
Thanks for the seal advice, but I am contronted with the hub itself and how do you pull that off, I have taken the nut off and am ready to pull it but do not want to destroy anything by ignorant force.. ..
McMark
If you want to use the real tool, let me know. I'd need it back ASAP, but I'm not against lending it out. PM me if interested.
detoxcowboy
Mc mark, I just may take you up on that, but the hub removal is the main issue and that tool looks like a c shaped plate according to the fsm, as far as the seal I have the seal puller but not the installer. I have 2 new seals, so If I bugger one up, I will pm you..
Jake Raby
The hub has a #2 morse taper on it that affixes it to the crankshaft, they can be difficult to remove.. a steering wheel puller is generally the most general tool used for this.

Once the hub is pulled the seal easily is removed, you can use a drywall screw inserted in to the seal to pull it from the case. Note that there is an O ring between the hub and the crank- replace it.
ClayPerrine
agree.gif

For you dyi guys.. go to Harbor freight and get a "bolt grip puller" set. It can be used to pull the hub.

Also, when you put it back, take a brass hammer (also available at harbor freight) and give it a good whack before installing the bolt in the crank center. And use a torque wrench to tighten the bolt.

detoxcowboy
Perfect and fast advice, thank you 914 world!
Cap'n Krusty
2 sturdy old fashioned "church keys" substitute well for the factory tool. The thicker the better, and it's best to use the hardest ones you can find. Be sure to use bolts other than the 3 you want to use for reinstalling the fan. The ends are apt to get chingered up. As others have pointed out, be sure to replace the o-ring as well as the seal. It'll leak if you don't.

The Cap'n
type47
Look at my Mar 12 2010 entry in my blog (Type47's blog) or
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 26 2010, 12:36 PM) *

2 sturdy old fashioned "church keys" substitute well for the factory tool. The thicker the better, and it's best to use the hardest ones you can find. Be sure to use bolts other than the 3 you want to use for reinstalling the fan. The ends are apt to get chingered up. As others have pointed out, be sure to replace the o-ring as well as the seal. It'll leak if you don't.

The Cap'n

That solved it Cap'n even after I took a steering wheel puller on loan, could not get the puller to line up any whihc way, I used 3 large thick construction washers, popped of w/ an instant ..

When Is you book comming out? Or no book and I am thinking I read what I did not read?/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.