Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: quick question: door removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d914
Im looking to pop the doors off,, Two pins in the hinges,,,,,,,hit them with a big hammer and punch or unbolt them...

also the door stay at pillar....??

Spoke
Take the 3 bolts off the top hinge and bottom hinge. Remove the stay pin first.

I usually get a milk crate to rest the door on when loosening the bolts.
d914
thanks
pnewman
I don't recommend trying to remove the hinge pins. only the door stop / keeper stay pin. You may damage the door sheet metal trying to remove the lower hinge pin. the bolts work fine as he said. Take a pencil and mark the corners of the hinges both on the top and on the bottom hinge to aid in alignment upon re-installation.

Good luck.

...also a second set of hands as well as the milk crate (preferably a plastic one or a metal one with a towel) to pad the top of the crate will help lower the chances of damaging the door during the process.

computers4kids
If your door gaps are good, drill a small hole throught the hinge...it works great for quickly re-aligning the door when re-installing.
jaxdream
Personally , if I were taking them off and remounting them , I would put masking tape around the hinges and on the body , mark the tape with pen , pencil , sharpie ETC , at a few spots around the hinges on the tape so as to have a few reference points to realign to . My $.02.....

Jack / Jaxdream
rsrguy3
What about the pin puller/slide hammer? That seems the slickest way... no door re alignment required.
J P Stein
Those hinge pins are right up there with an rear axle nut that hasn't been removed in 40 years. Realigning the door is a piece of cake and the alignment hole idea would make it even easier.
jaxdream
Is there room to get a drill with what ever size drill bit in there to drill an alignment hole , like some do for trunk hinges ??

Jack / Jaxdream
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.