Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Completing an Engine Lid Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Tonight I reassembled my engine lid. It was painted along with the car by Steve Willie both in the Olympic blue and a gloss black on the lower side... I had to spray the grills, install new welting (thanks Mikey914 - awesome replacement), and install chrome lettering (why not?)..

Here is my paint booth for the grills. I used a rust inhibitor gloss black mainly because I like shiny black vs flat black.. and hate rust...

DanT
Nice Rob....I am with you on the gloss black.
All the valences and rockers and engine lid screens on my '75 will be gloss black...only satin will be on the top.
EdwardBlume
Next is preparing and installing the welting...

The old stuff is hard and not pliable, the new stuff is soft... ahhh....

Using the old one as a template, I used a hole punch, scissors, and a blade to cut out the holes for mounting... do not make the gaps any larger than you need to, but the hole punch helped from getting the lip distorted...

The ends get cut straight too...

To mount just feed the hook end of the welting onto the grill... take care not to pinch or smash the lip but secure it firmly..

EdwardBlume
Here are some better shots...

the fit and finish of the new welting is excellent. I just touched it up on the top side only with protectant...

EdwardBlume
Installing the grill is easy if the grill isnt too bent...

On adding the letters, I was able to find the center because some glue was there from 25 years ago... from the center working outwards, I was able to set the letters up equal distant apart PORSCHE...

At first, I preferred seeing them closer together or 6 diamonds apart, but after looking at it with the tray on... it looked better properly spaced.. I believe each letter is now 8 diamonds apart..

I attached the letters with the screw type fasthers.. the ones I used were old and I had to shave some of the buffer material off to make them attach on a couple letters...

NOTE: If I could go back, I would paint the INSIDE of the screw fastners black too so they "disappear" but they are not too terribly noticeable.
EdwardBlume
Here is the final product:

I still need to tap a couple bolts in the rain tray (and the rain tray of course doesn't fit very well), attach the torsion bars, and I have the rubber trunk protector around here somewhere.....

but I should be good to go....

Not tough at all....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.