Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil pressure relief valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
I've never had one leak before, but this one does. The gasket kit came with a flat aluminum washer that I used. Yesterday, while looking in my gasket box for a distributor shaft seal for my car, I found a oil valve crush type washer. My Q is: Is there oil in the relief valve cavity or does it drain back to the bottom of the case? Do I have to drain the oil to change the washer?

Thanks.
brant
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 30 2010, 08:18 AM) *

I've never had one leak before, but this one does. The gasket kit came with a flat aluminum washer that I used. Yesterday, while looking in my gasket box for a distributor shaft seal for my car, I found a oil valve crush type washer. My Q is: Is there oil in the relief valve cavity or does it drain back to the bottom of the case? Do I have to drain the oil to change the washer?

Thanks.

there is some oil in there
they can leak
(mine leaked at one time)

its a hard crush washer to find
(anyone have a source?)

I went to the local dealer
bought 2 of them (at 3.50 a piece....)
and then came home to find they were wrong

everyone tries to sell you the crush washer for the oil drain plug
but this one is bigger

I think the only source is a gasket kit
again if anyone has a source, I'm all ears

you can change it with oil in the car
just use your thumb to plug the hole and then put the new one on quick
yes your arm will get oil on it
and you should only loose less than a pint

TheCabinetmaker
Thanks Brant. It just barely seeps so I'm gonna wait till his 500 mile oil change and do it then. I actually found three of the alum crush washers, but my local parts guy told me there are three different ones. Alum crush, copper crush, and solid alum. He said they are different thicknesses wich affects the tension of the spring. He can get all three. Hey wait a minute! You have a six. Are they the same?

Btw, Are you gonna do the vintage at Hallett this year?
brant
which flaps brand is your local store
that is great that you found them

the original was aluminum crush..

my leaker/application was a -4 also

I think I'm going to miss Hallet unfortunately
the colorado club (stupidly) scheduled our enduro the same weekend
I really like the enduro... like hallet too but the enduro slightly better.. but its cheaper to stay local and save gas/lodging.
tradisrad
yes, you can have a small oil leak from there. High Performance House sell the large crush washer. I bet many of the other "usual" places sell them too. You need a big bladed screw driver to remove and install the plug.
TheCabinetmaker
Not Flaps. Those idiots have nothing for a 914. All my new parts come from Rick at Rennsport Werkstat. 40 years as a Porsche parts manager and former 914 owner. If he can't get it, it can't be got.

Trad, Yeah I know it can leak cause I can see it!!!!!!!!!! I wonder how I got it out and back in the first time without that big bladed screwdriver? poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.