Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sad News my daughter has cancer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
tracks914
Bad news last week, my 16 year old daughter has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer.
7 years ago yesterday, at age 9, Rachel thought it would be funny to sign up to my 914 site from school. She became a member, still on the books as "Tracks914's daughter". After she signed up there were a lot of lude comments made and many members felt pretty bad when they found out she was 9 years old. It was a real good learning experience for both her (I let her read the comments) and the members "joking around". We still joke about it this day.

Last month she had a teratoma the size of a mayonase jar and one ovary removed.
It took 5 weeks to find out it was cancerous. (one of the downfalls of living in Northern Ontario) Since removal it has regrown to a size almost as big as before. We went out of town on Friday to start Chemo ASAP and got home last night after the first week of many treatments to follow.

It will be tough time for the foreseeable future and definately time to sell one of my 914's.

I'm not a religous man but quasi beleive in the power of positive thinking.
Any positive thoughts would be appreciated.
Tx
Doug

Below a picture of Rachel and me in Cuba 2 weeks before her surgury.
EdwardBlume
Doug, I'm very sorry to hear this terrible news. I can only appreciate the reminder that life is short and fragile, and that nothing can be taken for granted.

Fight it with all you've got! You've got friends here hoping for the best...

Positive thoughts sent your way as requested...
Tom_T
Sorry to hear that, so sad to be struck so young! sad.gif
... but do keep up the good thoughts & positive attitude, cuz it's a proven medicinal benefit!
... Laughter is ALWAYS good medicine, so throw some "funnies" in from time to time on a regular basis! biggrin.gif
....... the "splitting ribbier" the "betterer"! laugh.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mudfoot76
Terrible news, but I'm sending positive thoughts your way too
PeeGreen 914
My family's thoughts and prayers are with you.
BigDBass
So sorry to hear this, I don't want to even try to imagine. (My daughters are turning 2 and 4 over the next few weeks.)

Lots of positive thoughts coming your way. She can beat it, and you can too.
iamchappy
All the best wishes and positive vibes coming to you and Rachel.....
MDG
So sorry to hear this, Doug. As the dad of a daughter I feel your pain.

I'm rooting for you, Rachel. And Doug, she will win this!

Best wishes and clear thoughts,
mike
KELTY360
Sending all my best thoughts to Rachel and you.

Don't let it get you down, the docs have great tools these days, but they need your help. Stay positive and keep your sense of humor.
URY914
Very sorry to hear this. Be as strong as possible.
william1764
all the best - this is beatable! thoughts and prayers coming your way...
messix
i feel for you sad.gif
underthetire
You have my positive thoughts. I sure things will get better.
Drums66
Please stay as positive as you possibly can!
you will be in my prayer's....sweetness. bye1.gif hands.gif

P.S. I have a daughter myself
Kargeek
Doug,

My family and I send our prayers...I am a cancer survivor. Keep the positive thoughts and will to overcome this issue. With treatment, positive awareness, education- (you have to take control with this issue), integrative health and diet practices- tell Rachel she will overcome this. She is young and can endure treatmen and be healthy again. Read the book the Anti Cancer. http://www.anticancerbook.com/

Good luck and good bless Rachel and your family.
914dave
Hang in there. I'm pulling for you and yours.
TonyAKAVW
Very sorry to hear about this. Positive thoughts are on the way!

My sister (29 years old) is recovering from a surgery she had in December to remove a grapefruit sized tumor in her spine, and getting chemo right now.

If your daughter hasn't seen other oncologists yet for second opinions, now is the time. My sister would probably be paralyzed now if she had gone with her original treatment plan. Do some research and find the best cancer centers for what your daughter has, it can make a HUGE difference. The right cocktail of chemo and radiation comes from experience, especially on rare cancers.

Best wishes and luck!

-Tony
Eddie914
Our prayers and well wishes are with your daughter and your family.

Our 17 year daughter's surgery yesterday for ACH repair now seems so insignificant.

Best wishes,

Eddie
Mary Shortridge
Nothing seems as bad as when something bad happens to a loved one, and to a child....I cannot imagine the pain.
But you are in the thoughts and prayers of many. It will help hold you up. God bless your family!
Bruce Hinds
Dear Doug,
You have the hearts of all of us and I know prayers from so many that may feel timid about speaking out. However, believing in God is all about positive thoughts. Please have faith that He will help you all through this.
Bruce
PS it was at time like this that many of us became believers....
Eric_Shea
Tears fill a fathers eyes as he reads this...

Positive thoughts coming her way each and every day!

My girls are my life. I can't even imagine what you're going through.
McMark
sad.gif Positive thoughts.
BKLA
Doug -

A quick note to give you hope and a blessing. My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian in 2001. She went through chemo and other therapy, and survived! She had great support from her kids and her extended family. I can tell you from experience that a positive attitude (along with the right Doctor), can make a huge difference!

You have our prayers!
ConeDodger
I can't imagine your fear and pain. Positive thoughts sent Rachel's way...
swl
Doug,
This is a tremendous challenge for you and Rachel - my heart goes out to both of you.

I agree that positive thinking can do amazing things so you and Rachel need to make up your mind right now that you will beat this thing. Be your own advocates - don't trust the system. Read, demand information, make them investigate all possibilities. Our medical community is full of good skilled people but sometimes they are overwhelmed and need a push in the right direction.

We are here to support you.
DNHunt
Rachel is in my prayers.

Dave
Wannabe 914-6 owner
Our prayers go out to you and your family, and for a complete and speedy recovery.
'73-914kid
I have a friend who went through the same thing. She beat it, and is finally coming back to school with only 2 weeks left in the school year. With enough positive thinking, and support from others, She'll do the same I'm sure smile.gif

Rachel will be in my prayers. I cannot imagine having to endure this..
-Ethan
tat2dphreak
very sorry to hear this sad.gif you and her will be in our thoughts
Bartlett 914
Best wishes to the both of you.
rick 918-S
I'm sorry to read this today. With our thoughts and prays from some I hope to read about her small victories leading to a winning message down the road. Positive thoughts and a fighting spirit are real medicine. Continue life as you would otherwise. Don't let cancer dominate you, dominate the cancer.
Coy
That is horrible news. Our prayers go out to you and your family, for a complete and very speedy recovery. I wish that there was more we could do.

Best wishes to you both!
buhs914
That's horrible! My family and I have spent many years supporting cancer societies and I wish you the best of luck in this fight! Anything is possible and this thing can be beaten! Never lose faith and never stop fighting.
KaptKaos
Prayers sent. Be strong, she needs you.

Joe (father of 3 daughters)
Ian Stott
Lots of positive thoughts coming at you from Moncton, I have 2 daughters and I dote on them both as I am sure you do to. Tough journey ahead for you guys, stay positive and keep coming here for support whenever you can, this is a great bunch and you are right about thinking positive.

Ian Stott
Moncton
mepstein
Usually I donate anonymously but this time I’m hoping someone sees what I’m doing and copies me. It’s terrible what you and your daughter are going through and even harder when money becomes an issue. I’ve seen 50+ guys get together to get a discount on steel flares for their cars and even more to put together a yellow car in memory of someone who passed away so I’m hoping a can get others to follow me when I send $100 your way. Please PM your address so I can send a check asap. If the group wishes, I will also collect checks made out to Doug Armstrong and forward as they arrive. This board is a huge community of great people and here’s a great opportunity to help someone who is truly in need of our support. Mark Epstein
tdiddy
Positive vibes going your way!

hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 4 2010, 05:24 PM) *

Usually I donate anonymously but this time I’m hoping someone sees what I’m doing and copies me. It’s terrible what you and your daughter are going through and even harder when money becomes an issue. I’ve seen 50+ guys get together to get a discount on steel flares for their cars and even more to put together a yellow car in memory of someone who passed away so I’m hoping a can get others to follow me when I send $100 your way. Please PM your address so I can send a check asap. If the group wishes, I will also collect checks made out to Doug Armstrong and forward as they arrive. This board is a huge community of great people and here’s a great opportunity to help someone who is truly in need of our support. Mark Epstein

You are so right Mark. I easily spent three times that to go play with the yellow car. Put me down for $100 also as I have two daughters of my own. I will send it to you Mark as I already have your address.

Shoe
Gint
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jun 4 2010, 01:18 PM) *
I'm not a religous man but quasi beleive in the power of positive thinking.
Any positive thoughts would be appreciated.
You got it man. I'm very sorry to hear this obviously, but I know a young lady that overcame ovarian cancer so it can definitely be done. Don't think for a second that it can't be overcome.
mepstein
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 4 2010, 06:37 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 4 2010, 05:24 PM) *

You are so right Mark. I easily spent three times that to go play with the yellow car. Put me down for $100 also as I have two daughters of my own. I will send it to you Mark as I already have your address.

Shoe

Great!!! For others reading this post, My address is:
Mark Epstein
5307 Limestone Road, #100
Wilmington, DE 19808

If Doug has a paypal account, paypal will allow you to send a gift of money without their normal fees.
Joe Owensby
I am so sorry to hear your bad news. I have two daughters, and could not imagine the pain. I send my positive thoughts, and prayers for a quick recovery. JoeO
rfuerst911sc
My family sends all the positive energy we can generate to you and your daughter ! Good luck and stay as upbeat as you can.
TJB/914
Rachel, my prayer's to you for a complete recovery. God Bless you and your family. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Tom
Millerwelds
Abundant Positive thoughts. She WILL beat this.
Todd Enlund
Positive thoughts, strength and determination will win. I've seen it many times. I know she can do it, and everyone can help. My thoughts are there for Rachel.
azbill
Rachel, you are in my daily paryers. Have positive thoughts. You will bet the cancer
tracks914
The response here in two hours has been awesome and I really appreciate every thing said here (positive thoughts and prayers) but please hold on to your money. (at least for now) (shedding a tear.....)
My wife and I have good jobs, good benefit packages and up here in Canada ALL our health care is paid for. Like a true 914 owner I have always watched my money and have a fair nest egg put away for this type of thing. My wife will be taking an unpaid leave of absence for a few months but even that won't hurt us much in the short term. The biggest expenses I foresee are Hotels, gas and meals while on the road but within a month or so most of her Chemo should be done here in Timmins.
If this thing grinds on for a year or more I can see it taking it's toll but the short term outlook is still OK. The Dr's say germ cell ovarian cancer responds quite well to Chemo and if all goes right (fingers crossed) she should be cancer free within a year. (they also remind, nothings for certain and there are many things that "could" go wrong but to stay positive and plan one day at a time)
Your generosity is overwhelming and as in the past this club just blows me away.
tracks914
BTW, my '72 has been for sale for a few weeks now so I was planning on selling it before the bad news. I wasn't selling it because I NEED the money, I'm selling it because I don't NEED 2 914's and the money will come in handy. This way the car was just an investment that I am cashing in on now.
mepstein
I'm very glad to hear your finances are good. I know you didn't post to ask for money. I hope you will still accept my gift. If not for things you need, then for extras for your daughter. What 16 year old girl can't use some extra money for shopping? smile.gif Thanks and best wishes, Mark
spare time toys
I have put you guys on our prayer list at ktfmissions.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.